• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sledding around Butte

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Well i have to move in at Montana Tech on Aug 24 so i will be down in that part of the state now, where to ride in this area? i looked at the state website and it shows elk park right north, but it doesnt look to impressive on google earth

over by anaconda in the valley that is on the south side of mt haggin looks really sweet, just not sure if its sled legal areas... anything withing 45 minute drive from butte please post up, and pics of the terrain if availible.

i love tree riding but enjoy the open fields and hills just as much.

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
I'm also going back to Tech in August. Last yr I brought my sled out and only had the chance to go out once, but I went sledding to a place about 15 minutes south. No big hills, but there was lots of snow.
Most people go west to Anaconda, theres a spot by the Discovery skihill and another just SE of Anaconda. I've never been to these areas thought.
Let me know if you wanna check it out in the winter, we should be able to find some good riding.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
heck yeah... seeing as we will be in the same college that sounds like a great idea.

im dedicating all money that isnt for food and drinking to gas (who knows how much that will be) to sledding fund so i should have time. i will be at that place in about two months so we should have a little SW get together

hmmmmm..... drunk posting. i like it.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
ill be over in bozo my fair share this winter visiting the GF at college, honestly tho, there looks to be some good riding just south of the pass outside of butte, about 65ish miles from belgrade to the unload spot for you.

whats the riding like in bozeman, and in which direction is the better stuff

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I rode here last year some but just recently move down. I've been toward west to ride taylor's fork. The bridgers were nice but I've heard they are almost completely shut down. Buck creek is a good time as well. I'd like to find some people in the area that know the riding areas better. I'd make a few trips toward butte if the riding there is good.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
is there riding in bozeman or do you get down by big sky or west

nope none...

SunlightBasin.jpg

IMG_0067Large.jpg

IMG_0022Large.jpg

MikeTreehugger.jpg

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
alright, mtdream you do realize you have to tell me exactly how to get there. even some GPS coords so i can find it on GE while im sitting around on vacation. that seems like its worth the drive over the hills

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i think it looks like a forum ride in this area might be in order for the winter, as it would be fun to do some riding with guys on here, and theres plenty of awsome riding to be done in this area. the east pioneer mountains look really promising from what i can tell on google earth, and there just 30 miles south of butte to the area where i would assume parking will happen, but i need to check it out in person this fall.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
the big mountain in the background is Sage Peak...the basin with all the pow in it is Sunlight basin...If you go to Snotel, you will see a spot for Carrot Basin...essentially all the same place/play area...same as Taylors Fork in general...there are hundreds of play areas in here, that will make you go crazy, as you can see dozens of rigs at the parking lots, and then barely see anyone when you are back in there...course to find pow every trip, you really have to explore, but then why wouldnt you want to!!!!

There is some KILLER riding in Bozeman area...possibly some of the best all around terrain in the US....

We ride here quite a bit even though I am a Flathead guy...Bozeman is my hometown, thus my home play area...

never rode around butte much, but know there is a topic in the montana section about anaconda area...

this last year...we did not have one time where we did not ahve atleast 2-3 feet of new pow to play in...it spoils you!!!!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
thanks for the info, it looks like i might make a trip of two down there this winter, but its a long drive from butte for a poor college student, i amd spending all of my pre college money on my new sled. and i know all about the po thing, but it was like that up here in the flathead all winter as well. dont you remeber?

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
Heck yea, come to Big Sky and ride with us. A good friend of mine that goes to school there. If you're out and about, the guy's name is Woody make him buy you a beer from Korin. He'll know who. But anyway the best riding is down by us MSU guys. Snow is about the same quality, but way better mountains down by us. Here are the coords of a nice place we go

45deg14'16.66" N
111deg30'01.81"W

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
thanks for the info, it looks like i might make a trip of two down there this winter, but its a long drive from butte for a poor college student, i amd spending all of my pre college money on my new sled. and i know all about the po thing, but it was like that up here in the flathead all winter as well. dont you remeber?

I do, we were able to get to places you normally cannot get to, it was insane, but for me, the riding was totally off the hook in Bozo...and was helping bro in law get more into the sport...he is officially hooked now!!!

so, will try and remember to let you know if I am coming through butte, can pick you up...or if you have family up here going down there we can hook up...

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Heck yea, come to Big Sky and ride with us. A good friend of mine that goes to school there. If you're out and about, the guy's name is Woody make him buy you a beer from Korin. He'll know who. But anyway the best riding is down by us MSU guys. Snow is about the same quality, but way better mountains down by us. Here are the coords of a nice place we go

45deg14'16.66" N
111deg30'01.81"W
i saw that area on google earth and it looked amazing, but i was wondering aswell, how to get there with out going all the way around to big sky. or riding up a creek bed, are there any legitimate trails to get there?

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
I can tell you that it is on National Forest, not Lee Metcalf or Yellowstone Club property..... as far as how to get in there, I'll take that to the grave with me. I've got some pictures we took in there one day, I will try to round them up.

Premium Features