• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pull Starter Rope

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Well I found out the pull cord is 3/16 diameter by 7 feet.

People ... sell Polaris stuff for $4.00 a foot.

I found a manufacturer who sent me to a distributor who sent me to a dealer who said ....

"Go with 12-Strand Single-Braided DYNEEMA®
An Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Fiber (UHMWPE)

DYNEEMA® 12-Strand ropes are extremely strong, minimal stretch, near zero creep, very good abrasion resistance, easily spliced and will float. Pound for pound - 10 times stronger than steel; 33% lighter than Nylon; over three times the strength of Polyester or Nylon.

DSM Dyneema is the inventor and manufacturer of Dyneema®, the world’s strongest fiber™. Dyneema® is a superstrong polyethylene fiber that offers maximum strength combined with minimum weight. It is up to 15 times stronger than quality steel and up to 40% stronger than aramid fibers, both on weight for weight basis. Dyneema® floats on water and is extremely durable and resistant to moisture, UV light and chemicals. The applications are therefore more or less unlimited.

3/16 inch is 5400 lbs working load and 6400 lbs max load.

12-Strand Single-Braided DYNEEMA ®
Specific Gravity .97
Elongation at Break 2.3-3.9%
Critical Temp. 150°F
Abrasion Excellent
UV Resistance Fair/Good
Flex Fatigue Very Good

Website http://www.dsm.com/en_US/html/hpf/home_dyneema.htm

I can buy this stuff in small quantities (50 feet) for $1.50 a foot for grey. They have it in colors but strength durability go down. Natural color is gray.

Is the Critical temp too low?

4z has not replied so I'm out and about looking around.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I tried the 3/16 Endura Dyneema line... its very common for deck/sail lines in high perfomance ultralight sailboats... BUT... the size does not fit into the recoil that well...been there, done that... avail in natural (whiteish color), mint green and pale red (pink).

This stuff is as strong as steel cable in the same size.

They have it in stock at west marine stores... go down and try some out.
76 cents per foot for the 3/16 size... which is actually 5mm

The 4mm is a better size to use.

4 mm lies beween the 3/16 size and the 1/8" size and fits the recoils nicely...

Problem is... finding it in the USA...specifically in the 4mm size.

Still better to get the stuff thru 4Z... I think that FasTrax is selling the 4Z phantom line.

Other high strength lines such as Spectra and Vectran have similar strengths...

Oil resistance is not big on the Dyneema "strengths list".

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Have you researched Technora?

Technora is made from copolymers and is produced in the different process from PPTA(poly-paraphenylene terephthalamide) .

For its superior properties as stated above, Technora is used in ropes, protective goods, cement and plastic reinforcement and many other industrial applications.

Characteristics

(1) High tensile strength
The tensile strength of Technora is 28 grams/denier, which is 8 times as strong as steel and 3 times as strong as fiberglass, polyester and nylon of the same weight. This property will serve significantly to reduce weight.

(2) Fatigue resistance
High tenacity fibers generally show a loss of strength against repeated abrasion, flexure and stretch, Technora has excellent fatigue resistance, as compared to the other high tenacity fibers.

(3) Dimensional stability
Technora has a highly oriented molecular structure which leads to a high modulus, low creep and low stress relaxation. Due to its low thermal shrinkage, it has good dimensional stability.

(4) Heat resistance
Technora has a decomposition temperature of 500C. It can be used at 200C for long periods of time and, even at 250C, it maintains more than half of its tensile strength that was measured at room temperature.

(5) Chemical resistance
Technora exhibits high resistance to both acids, alkalis and organic solvents. It is also resistant to sea water and steam.

Para-aramid fiber: Technora

Fiber composed of a copolymer developed with Teijin's proprietary technology, and manufactured with a different process from that of Twaron. Synthetic fiber with excellent strength, elasticity, thermal and chemical resistance characteristics.

High strength
Fatigue resistance
Dimensional stability
Thermal resistance
Chemical resistance

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Sounds good Don... where do you buy it in small quantities?

So far I only found it on ebay (not sure if ebay item is only technora and not a blend or sleeved) use ... technora 3/16 cable ... on Ebay. 50 feet for 46.49 delivered. This material is being sold as replacing metal tow cable to reduce weight while increasing strength.

I usually start at a manufacturer and work my way to the dealership.
Too many times have I been told one thing and it ends up being something else. Sell em what you got in stock... right or they dont need to know?

I know from what little research performed Technora is used with Spectre, Nomex to make survival equipment or high temp industrial cable.

My concern is the other spectrum where someone uses Technora as the sleeve to a undesired core material not applicable to the snowmobile operating environment.

I guess they use Technora in boating in T-100 (Dacron sleeve /Technora core ) and T-900 (Spectra® and Technora® core within a braided polyester jacket)

So I will ask manufacturers who buy from Japan and actually make the product line. From what I read about technora; the most common use is in hoses (automobile hoses) since it can handle such a high temperature before degrading. Plus it will handle injection molding in tubing manufacture. Second use is parachutes, tennis rackets, also in inflatable items to keep their shape etc.

How do you think it should be made? pure 12 braid ? Or as a blend or pure with a sleeve?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Don,

Why so much effort...

Have a beer... watch a movie... go for a bike ride........ screw

Buy it from FasTrax and be done my friend.....

Have a beer ... well how about making cupcakes

Watch a movie .. yep Willie Wonka

Bike ride until got a owie, stickers on our socks.

screw ... already have many wonderful children .... and my gun is loaded

Why so much effort ??? To have a better understanding

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I went with a synthethic ATV winch line which was recommended by the guys at Recreation Supply in Saskatoon, Sask. when I stopped in there one day. Sold me 8' for around $20. This stuff was incredible, soft and flexible as can be but let me tell you I could hardly get thru it with a knife. Not kidding, I had a buddy come over after I installed it, had a foot or so left over, and told him to go cut me a piece. After about twenty minutes and alot of "holy s##t's" and "I can't believe it's" he finally got thru it. I ran it for a season and it looked perfect, no hairs, no fray, nothing. Not sure of the composition specifics.
Cheers

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I went with a synthethic ATV winch line which was recommended by the guys at Recreation Supply in Saskatoon, Sask. when I stopped in there one day. Sold me 8' for around $20. This stuff was incredible, soft and flexible as can be but let me tell you I could hardly get thru it with a knife. Not kidding, I had a buddy come over after I installed it, had a foot or so left over, and told him to go cut me a piece. After about twenty minutes and alot of "holy s##t's" and "I can't believe it's" he finally got thru it. I ran it for a season and it looked perfect, no hairs, no fray, nothing. Not sure of the composition specifics.
Cheers

Did you see any brand names like Samson? Do you know the braid composition ... like 12 strand?

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
To follow up on this, I went to a Marine Supply store and purchased Amsteel-Blue rope by Dyneema in 3/16" It appears to be identical to the synthethic winch rope I used previously. It has 5000lb. breaking strength and the stuff is unbelieveably tough. I purchased 7' for about $10.00 CDN. I installed it on my 09 Dragon and it works perfect and fits the recoil with no isses (not sure why you had trouble Eric??)
www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...ue&storeNum=2&subdeptNum=490&classNum=11452"]

Premium Features