• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 M8 "performance enhancement"

K
Dec 23, 2007
The 3rd week of March, I was presented with an M8 by the old man.
Now, as the summer looks, Im going to make some cabbage and want to spend it on the new machine.

Friends of mine are suggesting heads, other's pipes, and other's say don't do a fuel box, and other's say do....

Now, I would like to stay away from the tuning scenario if I can.

Som would you recommend:

A - a head(which one?) with a can....

B - a pipe system(whose?)

What would I benifit from more?

The guy I'd most likely be buying this stuff off has an 07 M8 with a speedwerx pipe setup(can, y pipe) and claims the thing just rocks, but Im on their website and they have a 0-5000ft stetup or 5000- whatever setup.

Alot of riding for alot of YOU, I'm sure is done inbetween the 2, and same goes for me.....
As I said, I'd like to stay away from the fuel box, but want some easy, reliable HP!!!

Help please......

K
Dec 23, 2007
By "head and clutch kit are needed", are you suggestgn that these sleds don't run at all in comparison to how they could run WITH a head and clutch kit?

Like I said, I got it very late in the season, and only have 250 miles on it.
Im very impressed with the power(Came from an 03 RMK) and the way the sled runs, but like most of you, Im looking for a bit more, and from what Ive read, these sleds will GLAZE with the right setup.

Any more suggestions?

M
Nov 29, 2007
Goodrich, ND
If you are running at low elevation with a high compression head, you'll have to run 110 octane, Unless you put low elevation domes in it. For me, this is a hassle. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

M
Dec 6, 2007
Winnipeg, Mb
If you are looking for pull and ride then I would give real consideration to anything other than setting the clutching up right. I have a stock 08 M8 and ride with others that have y pipe, pipe and can and honestly at 6000 to 10,000 feet where we ride in all conditions you see very little difference.

You can drop 3 G's on after market parts and the difference between the moded sled and the stock sled is usually the rider ability and weight... just my 2 cents. Here is a couple of pics from our riding over the past couple of weeks looks like we will be riding into late June.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
08 m8

Just a few and I will list them in order.

Can
Track "Power Claw"
Boss Seat
Riser 3-4
2 Wheel kit
Black D tunnel kit
Torsion clutch kit
pipe
head
this can all be done with out fuel box
I love the snow pro air box but I do recommend a fuel box with addition of air mod with pipe and can.

or just throw a turbo on it and have fun.

M

m8matt

Nov 26, 2007
If you are looking for pull and ride then I would give real consideration to anything other than setting the clutching up right. I have a stock 08 M8 and ride with others that have y pipe, pipe and can and honestly at 6000 to 10,000 feet where we ride in all conditions you see very little difference.

You can drop 3 G's on after market parts and the difference between the moded sled and the stock sled is usually the rider ability and weight... just my 2 cents. Here is a couple of pics from our riding over the past couple of weeks looks like we will be riding into late June.

I totally agree. A lot of the mods most people are doing don't give you the seat of the pant gain. The best mod you can do that you will actually notice is Nitrous. It isn't that expensive and it is easy to tune. I have went up against sleds that have pipes,reeds, y pipe and every other bolt on available. If you have a 30 shot of nitrous you will blow them all out of the water. The only down fall to nitrous is eventually your bottle is empty and the fun goes away.

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
idano, my buds got a 700 with a single and 14:1 head .. compared to my bone stock 700 it was pretty night and day. way better throttle response on the bottem end

K
Dec 23, 2007
About the needing 110 OCT when running at low elev. Alot of my riding starts off around 3000 feet or so, and sometimes, dosn't get much higher than 6000.

Like, Revy, when you unload at Boulder? You're only about 1500 feet ASL, and most of us like to run a bit on the trail.. make sure it's going good. SO what's the deal there?

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Single pipe, boondocker box, intake, torsion clutch, adjustable weights.
Spend a couple days dialing it in, and you'll be loving life. If you've got the extra dough, port/head, boss seat.
You didn't say if you had an 07 or 08? Eventually your going to have to deal with the trenching issue. I bought 4 powerclaw tracks for our sleds, hope that solves it.

K
Dec 23, 2007
Single pipe, boondocker box, intake, torsion clutch, adjustable weights.
Spend a couple days dialing it in, and you'll be loving life. If you've got the extra dough, port/head, boss seat.
You didn't say if you had an 07 or 08? Eventually your going to have to deal with the trenching issue. I bought 4 powerclaw tracks for our sleds, hope that solves it.

The thread's called 2008 M8 bud, haha.
But yeah, about trenching, I came from an 03 RMK and that thing trenched, so anything was better. I didn't get on the M8 until spring, so snow was fairly setup where I was riding, and I wasn't dissapointed at all. It still sounds stock and that just won't do, so I've settled on doing a pipe eventually, before next season.

Who's system would you guy's suggest?
My riding is done more often than not at around 5k-8k, but there's still the few miles from the truck to the hill that are a few thousand below that.

Like I said, I don't want a fuel box, so what is the best?

B

boosted1

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
M8 mods

The thread's called 2008 M8 bud, haha.
But yeah, about trenching, I came from an 03 RMK and that thing trenched, so anything was better. I didn't get on the M8 until spring, so snow was fairly setup where I was riding, and I wasn't dissapointed at all. It still sounds stock and that just won't do, so I've settled on doing a pipe eventually, before next season.

Who's system would you guy's suggest?
My riding is done more often than not at around 5k-8k, but there's still the few miles from the truck to the hill that are a few thousand below that.

Like I said, I don't want a fuel box, so what is the best?

call up kelsey at RKT, I guess there is a kit for $775 increase of 20hp with no fuel mods (stock mapping), I would do that, seat (must have) SLP powder pros (skis) can of course, pull the cord n run!

K
Dec 23, 2007
call up kelsey at RKT, I guess there is a kit for $775 increase of 20hp with no fuel mods (stock mapping), I would do that, seat (must have) SLP powder pros (skis) can of course, pull the cord n run!

Is that the shim kit at any chance?

Im just considering the pipe because with my last sled, I was given a pipe as sort of a "credit" when the forclift guy dropped my sled.

I was super impressed with the gain, so want to try again.

20 horse for under a grand... can't go wrong with that though.

B

boosted1

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Is that the shim kit at any chance?

Im just considering the pipe because with my last sled, I was given a pipe as sort of a "credit" when the forclift guy dropped my sled.

I was super impressed with the gain, so want to try again.

20 horse for under a grand... can't go wrong with that though.

not sure whats involved for the 20hp, however with my 08 M1000 i installed a pipe and other accesories, the power was great, but I grew very tired of constantly playing with the controller, I removed the pipe and ran a y-pipe and can with KN filter using stock mapping, worked excellent! just done ride hard below 5000ft and it was great! pull the cord n ran......
until there is a rapid box 3 for 2 strokers i refuse to install any fuel mods!
I run a Rapid box on my boosted apex and it runs flawlwessly.

B

R

richardsb014

Nov 28, 2007
Wyoming
I'm with dmkhnr. My 07 M8 was much stronger with the single pipe kit from SLP, intake from SLP, and MTX weights SLP suggested (about $750.00, give or take). I did not install a boonedocker box or torsion clutch yet (I have RKTs on hand), but may do that this summer, just to see what gains I get and how much tweaking I have to do. I have read some posts from people that seem to know that adding fuel really helps the M8. But, I had such a nice gain this year from the mods I listed, and the snow was so good, that I quit modding and just rode. The SLP pipe kit, intake, and weights made a big difference and I enjoyed it.

I suspect that I will actually go with snow eliminators and a Boss seat before I add a box and torsional secondary (money is an object). Plus, since I am happy with SLPs pipe (and if I land a little more coin this summer), I may opt to have SLP port the jugs, work the heads, and then giver me boonedocker numbers. They have dialed me in nicely so far. Just a thought.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
For the money do the new powerclaw track. From what I have heard from the dealers it works awesome, best mod you can do according to them.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Start with clutching. M8s are the biggest benefactors of proper clutching.

The next thing I would do, as stated above, is to get the Power Claw track. A little bit more than a Boss seat and about the same as a pipe. This will be a big gain. Just get one, I don't know why dmknr got 4.

SLP pipe combo would be next.

Porting would follow that.

Last would be a big bore. I have seen some of the 900 kits just RIP.

Oh, wait. Last would be a turbo.

:)

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Start with clutching. M8s are the biggest benefactors of proper clutching.

The next thing I would do, as stated above, is to get the Power Claw track. A little bit more than a Boss seat and about the same as a pipe. This will be a big gain. Just get one, I don't know why dmknr got 4.

SLP pipe combo would be next.

Porting would follow that.

Last would be a big bore. I have seen some of the 900 kits just RIP.

Oh, wait. Last would be a turbo.

:)

You mean quatro track. Uno-cien cincuenta tres, y tres-cien sesenta dos.
Let me guess, I need to take a shot for you too.

Premium Features