• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutch bolt torque spec

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
mountain horse will probably know better but i know the 900's are 96ft lbs and i think that was for the 800's too.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
drive clutch bolt torque

Don't pay any attention to what polaris says.

ALL Polaris domestic drive clutches should be torque to 80 Ft lbs.

96 is to much.

The key to success is two fold.

#1 - The drive clutch bore tape MUST be clean and DRY ( like wipe with brake cleaner dry ) and the crank taper MUST be clean and COMPLETEY dry.

Foot not to #1 - you are trying to achive here is............You want the drive clutch to BITE hard to the taper so it does NOT spin and twist to the crank. ( the better you get it to bite ) The better the chance its on square and it won't spin weld itself on to the crank.

#2 - torque the clutch to 80 ft pounds and drive your sled gently around the yard ( or on a stand and BRAMP the throttle a bunch of times ) and then retorque it. do this until it stops taking more torque.

I have heard of people lubing the shaft !!! NEVER NEVER NEVER !!!!!!!!! do that.

You got by with it on less powerful sleds, the more power they have the more trouble you get into doing it wrong.

Dan

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I'm not doubting you Dan, just making sure I'm reading that right.

The clutch on my 2003 800 VES should be torqued to 80 ft. lbs. as well?

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
be very careful trying to torque to 80#, I would never go higher than 50 on an 800 after breaking one off in my crank, they are very difficult to get out. Just look at the bolt- it necks down to about 7/16" for several inches, 80# is pretty high torque for a bolt that diameter, they twist apart very easy. I've never had one come loose from 50#. But definately make sure the taper is spotless and retorque right away

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
from mountainhorse he posted this awhile back

clutchinstall900Libertys.jpg

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
80 ft ibs

be very careful trying to torque to 80#, I would never go higher than 50 on an 800 after breaking one off in my crank, they are very difficult to get out. Just look at the bolt- it necks down to about 7/16" for several inches, 80# is pretty high torque for a bolt that diameter, they twist apart very easy. I've never had one come loose from 50#. But definately make sure the taper is spotless and retorque right away

Good post.

96 is really pushing it ( see alot of bolts ruined ) I have never had a problem at 80 ft lbs. I have a calibrated torque wrench and I have a pretty good feel.

I guess a better way to to put it for the masses.

dot all to i's and cross all the tee'sdo the prep work and get the clutch torqued tight - if you only go to 50 make damn sure yoiu retorque it a few times to make sure its seated.

80 has always worked for me on the 800's.

S

Snowstar

Aug 22, 2006
Ogden Ut.
Would that spec be any different for a 1200 w/c motor. Basicaly the same crank parts and the same clutch as the 800 twin.

Premium Features