• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Juneau?

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
The wife and I are seriously considering moving to Juneau. I have already talked to one of the club members and discussed riding in that area. Can anyone give me their own low down on riding in Juneau or Skagway or Northern BC. I see, well I see nothing, in northern BC. No towns, no nothing :D

Also, I currently ride a 136 Crossfire 600 and have been told that I could continue to ride it but it was suggested to go with a 151 or 144. I have done any mountain riding so I need some help, suggestions, opinions or whatever you choose to call it. Should I get a GPS, what else would I need?

Common guys throw some idea's my way. I am really excited about the move but I don't want to pay to haul my Crossfire up there and then sell two months after I get there..

Thanks
Varmit

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Hopefully some of the Juneau guys will help you out here. If you already have a contact for the local club, trust their word. Riding there is mostly backcountry mountian riding. I don't think you will ever see a groomer anywhere there. I would not go smaller than an 800 151 or bigger. You would be far better off trying to sell you xfire in the market you are at rather than in an area where you can't give it away since there in no call for one. Kind of like trying to sell a cigar boat in Iowa! I have never riding there, but have been there and read many threads in the past (old forum) on here about the Juneau area. Are you coast guard? Gotta have a boat too!!!

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Hopefully some of the Juneau guys will help you out here. If you already have a contact for the local club, trust their word. Riding there is mostly backcountry mountian riding. I don't think you will ever see a groomer anywhere there. I would not go smaller than an 800 151 or bigger. You would be far better off trying to sell you xfire in the market you are at rather than in an area where you can't give it away since there in no call for one. Kind of like trying to sell a cigar boat in Iowa! I have never riding there, but have been there and read many threads in the past (old forum) on here about the Juneau area. Are you coast guard? Gotta have a boat too!!!

No Coast Guard :D It makes sense to sell them here and purchase new up there. It doesn't make sense to pay to get it up there and not have a market to sell it in.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Went up just last night. 2 1/2' of fresh on top of a mass base. Over 200'' total right now on the hill.

Juneau is rain country hell, but great mountain riding and as mentioned, no groomed trailsand always snows up top in the winter. Avg 12' base. Lots of guys ride shorty's but usually with at least 1 3/4'' paddles. I run a summit 800 151'' and a summit 1000 162''.2 1/4'' paddle. Not a whole lot of area, but I ALWAYS ride fresh snow every weekend. The farthest we run is about 15 miles and 1 mile wide, but it varies.

The other area is meadows, which is 1 mile wide x 5 miles long. We have a few weeks left here and will go into may. Lots of snow up top but trails down low close when they are bare.

Rode till May 22 last season. What kind of work you looking at? No roads out of here, only boat and plane as with all Southeast towns except Hyder, Skagway and Haines, which are all great sledding areas, but with NO economy to speak of.

PM me if you want some more info.

Premium Features