• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

need to do snow dance

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
How much base is left out there?

Let us know how much snow they get and if it sticks around or all melts. Probably pretty wet snow but I'd love to make a trip out there if the riding is decent.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Hello:
I was in Lead all day today. The "Big Snow" is certainly not happening there. It did snow all day but as of 5:00 there was only about 3" of wet slop. There is no snow in Spearfish and it is raining. Talked to a person who lives in the Trailshead area this afternoon and he said it has been snowing most of the day but it is very wet stuff. This is pretty typical for out here this time of year. They were calling for 2 to 3 feet in the O'Niell Pass area but have backed way off that. IF they get the POSSIBLE 18"+ in the upper Hills it will be wet snow. It is supposed to be sunny and warm on Sat and Sun. Probably the only decent day would be Sat for some riding but it will be a wet one. Definately no fluffy stuff. Trailshead is closed, most of the trail markings are down and the trails are poorly defined so you need to know your way around a little, and the turkey hunters will be out there on snowmobiles also I suppose.

By the way... I will probably be out there if it looks like I can get in one more day of decent riding this year but then I don't have too far to drive either.

Last edited:
F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Hello:

Appears that the O'Neill Pass area did not get anywhere near what they predicted "might" happen. Closer to 8-10" rather than a couple feet. Lead-Deadwood seems to have gotten the most at about a foot. That snow is extremely wet and is melting very fast. The sun was out in Lead this afternoon and it is currently trying to decide if it wants to rain or sleet here in Spearfish. I will be leaving my sled in the garage and pass on this "big snowstorm".

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
Shouldn't Have Passed Today Up Was A Great Day Was Up There By Trailshead For A Few Hours And Had At Least A Foot Of Fresh And Was Really Fun, Enough To Get My King Cat Stuck Once. Anyhow It Was Really Fun, Heading To Snowies On Sunday.

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
sorry straight-shot never got any pictures taken was having to much fun riding, there were drifts that were 4' deep that we were plowing through along roadsides and many other places, it was just great for a spring ride in the hills. I only have to drive 25 min to ride so it is really easy for me take off when it is getting dumped on.

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
My son talked to a guy he works with at Lehman trykes and he rode up in the hills Sat and Sun the 12th and 13 said it was great also talked to a guy from Rapid City who rode last friday, he said they managed to get stuck a few times believe it or not, I guess I should have drove up there instead of laying around the house and watching the "SNOOZCAR" race.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I drove up to Trailshead Thursday afternoon and was shocked to find a fair amount of snow all the way from Rec Springs up, more snow than they've had there many times during a normal weekend during the season. Wouldn't be at all scared of getting in a ride, if it wasn't 250 miles away. Trailshead parking lot still had snow in it, I expected that to be a slushy mess but it was snow.

Premium Features