• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Learn to clutch, good spot to start?

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
I really want to get into clutching my sled, i currently own a 07 rev but have a 09 on the way and i know that i'm going to have to do some clutch work on it. Where is a good spot to start, any books, tool that i will need. i konw how the clutches work but need detail oh how to take apart and change parts, which parts effect performance. Everything that i have found online has to do with racing, but i don't race i mountain ride.

any advise/tip would be helpfull
Thanks

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
do you need a lot of specialty tools? does the book explain how to take the clutches apart? i have looked at that book before, i have the one with the carb tuning

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
Agree with winter brew. That book helps mostly with the basic understanding of how the different parts are suppose to work. The clutches are a little older in the book so probably not going to help a lot with with your disassembly. Search around on here to see what others are running in their clutches. For me mtn. clutchings hard part was getting good backshift and removing the belt heat.

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
ya i have to agree with that, currently on my rev i got though a belt every 2 rides, seems like it runs good one day and the next day it doesn't then the belt goes and i start over. With the hole heat thing, is that just caused from slipping and if so which clutch slips, Prim or sec, and if it slips can you just add weight up front and put in a different stiffer sec spring? or is there really no deffinate answer.

As far as backshifting i'm not really sure what i'm looking for, i can usually pull full rpm going anywhere untill i let off, then it seems to have a hard time getting back up again.

Thanks for the advice

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
losing RPM and not regaining is poor backshift.
Heat is from slippage. There will always be slippage as the belt goes up/down the sheaves, the idea is to minimize the slippage. It can slip in either clutch and the basic goal is to have each clutch "balance" with the other so one isn't overpowering the other causing excessive slippage. Feel both clutches....if one is hotter that means it is slipping more and tells you where you need to make a change. So many variables it takes some time to get a feel for what component has a specific effect and what needs to be changed and how much to change....then throw in gearing, track length, changing altitudes and varying snow conditions and it gets more fun. :beer;

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
losing RPM and not regaining is poor backshift.
Heat is from slippage. There will always be slippage as the belt goes up/down the sheaves, the idea is to minimize the slippage. It can slip in either clutch and the basic goal is to have each clutch "balance" with the other so one isn't overpowering the other causing excessive slippage. Feel both clutches....if one is hotter that means it is slipping more and tells you where you need to make a change. So many variables it takes some time to get a feel for what component has a specific effect and what needs to be changed and how much to change....then throw in gearing, track length, changing altitudes and varying snow conditions and it gets more fun. :beer;
Some of the best advice I've read concerning clutching.

I am by no means a clutch expert, I'm still learning and have been toying with clutching for going on three seasons now. The best advice I can give you is only ever change one thing at a time, you would be amazed at the difference a secondary spring can make on the whole clutching setup not to mention primary spring, weights, etc.

S

snoboy

Dec 4, 2007
Maple Valley Wa
Some of the best advice I've read concerning clutching.

I am by no means a clutch expert, I'm still learning and have been toying with clutching for going on three seasons now. The best advice I can give you is only ever change one thing at a time, you would be amazed at the difference a secondary spring can make on the whole clutching setup not to mention primary spring, weights, etc.

This has been my biggest down fall for sooo long, ONE CHANGE AT A TIME. one hole of preload on the seconday spring (button style)can make a million dollar change.
Yes, if you want to tune your's and you buddies sleds then you'll need the tools.

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
thanks for the advice, i have heard of the thermostat before and the engine getting too cool at high speed. Where is a good spot to start as far as getting tools, i need the tools for the Rev 09, i was down at my local shop and was trying to see them all and i know they sell them there but if anything at a dealer you will trade a leg for it.

my last ride i did notice a change in my clutchs (rev 07), at first it was pulling good with a brand new belt, primary was hot, belt was cool and so was sec, by the end of the day it felt "laggy" and not getting full rmp, then the primary was supper hot and so was the belt a sec, the belt has a glossy look to it??

if it is hot and hot, that mean slippage on both prim and sec, could i get a stiffer spring for the secondary (or are they ajustable at all) and heavyer wieghts for prim?

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
Typically in the spring heavy snow I tighten(stiffen) up my secondary. I have my polaris button clutches figured out. With help from winter brew(thanks) a few years ago. Don't know about your doo, but I would poke around with the skidoo section with the search and see what kind of reoccurring set-ups you can find.
Might think about getting a doo shop manual to see how to disassemble and figure what tools might be needed.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Dock, get a good quality clutch puller for sure. The rest of the specialty tools for the TRA are not really necessary. The button clips are nice but almost as easy to put together without them. A spring compressor can be made with a piece of allthread a couple washers and a nut.

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
do you konw off hand, are all the TRAs 14mm puller bolts i found some online but they only say till 07, will that work for 08-09?

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
do you need a puller and special tool for the Rev 09 secondary to get it off the jackshaft, and take out the spring, or can you use the same long bolt and washers that you would use to take abpart the primary

S
Nov 26, 2007
Breckenridge, CO
Illustrations on Dootalk

I remember seeing that someone put an illustrated guide to taking the Doo clutches apart and back together on Dootalk. I am pretty sure it is a sticky post or easy to get to ...helped me the first couple of times.

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
... one hole of preload on the seconday spring (button style)can make a million dollar change.

Yep, WB has some awesome tips up there^^^ and as stated, only one change at at time. If you want to know what a single change in the helix angle will do, talk to Scott on the forum, he changed his helix 2 degrees and he lost a ton of RPM, for the longest time he couldn't figure it out, thought it was motor related, etc. He changed it back and BOOM, it ran like a dream. One little thing can make a dog out of your sled, or make it run like an indy car.

Premium Features