• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ABS Avalanche Airbag Statistics -Yes, they work

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
We get lot of people asking us if the ABS Airbags really work and if there has every been anyone saved with an airbag. The answer is yes, there have been people who have used them and yes they work.

During the time period of 1990 - 2007 there have been 151 documented avalanches when the ABS system was fully deployed. This research was conducted by the Swiss Federal Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research.

Of the 151,
66 were not buried
63 were partially buried
19 were completely buried, but the airbag was visible
3 were completely buried, nothing visible

Of the 151, 149 were saved and 2 died.

Here are some graphs:
statistic_1_uk.gif

statistic_2_uk.gif

Here is a link to more detail:
www.abs-airbag.com

Last edited:

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
do you have any of these packs in stock?

thanks
tim
In stock, we currently have 1 Freeride Small (for a smaller torso such as a woman or youth), and several Vario with a 15L or 30L zip on pack.
The freeride is $869 + $80 deposit; the vario 15L is $969 + $80 deposit.

That's really cool idea, How huch do these packs weigh?
Without the cartridge, the freeride weighs about 5.1 lbs; the Vario with 15L pack weighs 5.9lbs; and the Escape 30 pack weighs 7.1 lbs. The cartridge & handle together weigh barely over 1lb.

Are these packs capeable of holding a probe and a shovel?
Yes, the freeride has an external storage pocket for a shovel and probe. The Escape and Vario have internal storage space for shovel & probe, but many people like to fasten them to the outside of the pack.

A
Jan 29, 2008
Good stats, but how often..

or what percentage of the time do users get to "pull the cord" to fully deploy one of these?

It seems that some sensors could be made to automatically deploy when tumbling, etc is detected. My concern is that a user might not be able to grab the handle and pull the cord. Do you have any statistics on what percentage of those wearing one of these packs, when caught in an avalanche, get them deployed?

Thanks!
Al

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
or what percentage of the time do users get to "pull the cord" to fully deploy one of these?

It seems that some sensors could be made to automatically deploy when tumbling, etc is detected. My concern is that a user might not be able to grab the handle and pull the cord. Do you have any statistics on what percentage of those wearing one of these packs, when caught in an avalanche, get them deployed?

Thanks!
Al

Great question. The statistics above are of the 151 who had their airbag fully deployed.
During the same time frame, there were a total of 168 people caught in avalanches with airbags. 17 of which either didn't fully inflate or didn't deploy at all.

Of the 17, here is a breakdown:
10 - didn't pull the handle
1 - did not carry a handle (the pack is no good without a handle)
2 - empty cartridge
4 - technical failure

Of the 17: 11 survived, 6 died.

So, talking percentages..........about 6% of the people caught in avalanches with an avalanche pack did not pull the handle.

Here's a pdf with all of the details: http://www.abs-airbag.com/_doc.php?lang=uk&dwid=30

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
The zip on pack has nothing to do with the airbag function. The entire airbag is built into the Vario base unit. The base unit is the shoulder straps, the "base plate", the airbags, canister, & trigger. The only part that zips on is the storage portion of the pack. With the vario pack you have the flexibility of having different amounts of storage depending on the activity you are performing without having to buy a completely new backpack. The function of the vario has nothing to do with the zip on portion. I personally like the way it fits on my back better than the escape 15 or 30. The escape line (Freeride, 15, 30) are "fixed size".

R
Mar 21, 2008
They are worth every penny

I almost lost a friend who was buried 8 feet and we found him using the beacons and probe.

We also lost a friend (Carl Corder) this year in a 1300 foot horizontal slab avalanche.

Since then I have bought the ABS escape and would spend any amount of money to give myself a fighting chance in these avalanches. I always wear my beacon and like the thought of being on top of the snow instead of under it is much more comforting. We spend 8000 to 20,000 thousand on our machines and disregard our family's who want us to come home.

THEY WORK. USE IT.

Premium Features