• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone else thinking about snowchecking a new sled?

M

masneri

Feb 10, 2008
anchorage
I am torn between the assault 146 or the limited m8 153. I am deffiently done with ski doo. I have never been much into polaris but those sleds look pretty sick. All my buddies ride m sleds so it would be cool to get the m8 that way we all have the same **** if some one breaks down and we need to share parts, belts, etc. but i dont know if i will like going from a 144 to a 153. Also I havn't been to the polaris shop and asked about the assault yet, does anyone know what the price tag is on the assault and if it is only a limited snow check special or if it will be just another production sled you can buy whenever. Whats everyone else planning on ridding next year.

P
Jan 8, 2008
aK
Assault

Hey just go look at Polaris Industries.com that should be able to get you in the ball park for price. Then if you are serious call Hatchers 495-INDY and ask for Chris. She can usually beat everybody elses price, Marita tags on 500 for set up.

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
I wish I could snowcheck a new sled this year, but I did that last year and still owe about $3k. Both are very nice sleds. I've never been an AC guy but the new M8 is looking good. I like the weight reduction and some the new features. That being said...I'd still go with the Assult. Definately talk to Hatcher Pass...Chris will get you the best price and they do a great job taking care of you after the sale.

M

masneri

Feb 10, 2008
anchorage
Yeah I think i am leaning more to the assault, it just feels weird to go buy a polaris when all I have ridden is ski doo, all my buddies ride cat, no one I know or ride with has a polaris but I am not trying to say polaris is bad or anything, just some thing new. The polaris web sight says msrp on the assault is $10,599, I could get an m8 for probably $9,599.

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
I cant afford to snow-check a sled but, i will be jumping ship probably to Cat (again) in the fall, or to a REV.. we shall see..

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Boils down to this, are you a big air jumper??? If so, the assault would be a much better chioce imo...that is the sled many of us have tried to build for years since the factories didn't. an iqr/rmk so to speak. I know it is not because it is on the rmk chassis, but it has the best of both worlds on it. You will never build one sled that will please everyone all the time in all conditions!

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
I cant speak on the assault but I do know my Dragon is about 7 inches wider than My Rev, and its my biggest stepping stone.

I have yet to get my dragon in deep powder but can already tell you it rides like a caddilac.

I would expect no lesss from the Assualt.

If I could I would get an assualt. Turn Key, I just dont see who can beat it.

I love my REV and its very hard to get away from, even so Im torn on which sled to take to arctic man, The rev just performs so well. But The Dragon floats.

I would only guess the assualt is the best of both worlds.

C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
for sure the assault. the polaris ride so much better than the cat ..i like the motor but the chassi is old i cant stand the way they handle.. i sold my 600 rmk the other day and put the money twards the assault

M

masneri

Feb 10, 2008
anchorage
Yeah I think the assault is where its at, my sled I ride now is more like the assault than the m sled becuase its a mxz x package that I put a 144 on, it has the hpg jumping shocks and taller handle bars. Also I bet cat will come out with a new chassis next year so it would suck to buy a brand new sled and then next year have them totally re do it. the only thing im not to sure on the assault is the track on it. But yeah I decided to clean my sled up and put it for sale today and if it sells put the money towards the assault so if any one wants a bad *** rev let me know.

B
Nov 26, 2007
ak
Step Up!!!!

U should just keep that old iron one more year so u can learn to ride some more...u couldn't handle either one of those sleds power anyway....:beer;
or maybe buy the polaris so i can put the super smack down on u with your new iron and it not being a cat..:devil:

m8= getting home at the end of a ride...and handing your budds there a$$'s in the deep..

polaris=?

yamaha=?

skidoo=?

anyway get whatever feels like the right rig for your riding style...

B
Feb 28, 2008
wasilla
Yeah I think i am leaning more to the assault, it just feels weird to go buy a polaris when all I have ridden is ski doo, all my buddies ride cat, no one I know or ride with has a polaris but I am not trying to say polaris is bad or anything, just some thing new. The polaris web sight says msrp on the assault is $10,599, I could get an m8 for probably $9,599.
why stop at m8 why not go m1...got a buddy with one and it kicks azz , and he high marks most, and not a small guy. he hasnt really had any problems until recently his stator went out. not bad for two seasons. then again ive only had one prob too, piston went bad , leaned it out somehow:confused: just one, small fix. and that was on my o7skidoo.

Last edited:
M

masneri

Feb 10, 2008
anchorage
U should just keep that old iron one more year so u can learn to ride some more...u couldn't handle either one of those sleds power anyway....:beer;
or maybe buy the polaris so i can put the super smack down on u with your new iron and it not being a cat..:devil:

m8= getting home at the end of a ride...and handing your budds there a$$'s in the deep..

polaris=?

yamaha=?

skidoo=?

anyway get whatever feels like the right rig for your riding style...

Well thats why i was thinking about getting the polaris with the shorter track so you guys can hang with me, If i got the m8 it would be game over and you guys wouldnt even know what hit you hahaha. I have decide to go with the m8 becuase i can get a better deal on one and i have never owned a polaris, never met anyone that owned a polaris so scratch that.

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Well thats why i was thinking about getting the polaris with the shorter track so you guys can hang with me, If i got the m8 it would be game over and you guys wouldnt even know what hit you hahaha. I have decide to go with the m8 becuase i can get a better deal on one and i have never owned a polaris, never met anyone that owned a polaris so scratch that.

You've never met someone that owned a polaris? There's plenty of us around to dish out some opinions. The Assault is going to be THE sled for 09, I was planning on snowchecking one, but now I'm doing another IQ mod and swapping my current one to an 800. I think that if you're an aggressive rider and you like to jump also, the m8 is gonna be a little more tame (read: softer suspension) but not able to take quite the pounding of the Poo.

Either way think about the stuff you like to do when you ride and try to decide which one is really going to suit you better. If you spend more of your day climbing/highmarking than you do looking for windlips and hits, get the m8.

M

masneri

Feb 10, 2008
anchorage
Yeah i would love to have an iq race chassis with an 800 and a 144 on it, that sled is a sweet *** set up. Heres my delima, the assault looks bad *** but the deadline is on the 7th and i cant afford to throw down on one right now. The m sled is a kick *** sled from what i have seen. I spend just as much time looking for cornices to drop and wind lips to hit as i do climbing hill and boondocking. I am not going back to ski doo, my rev has been one problem after another and thats on an 06 power teck, i have herd nothing but complaints about the 800r. Some people say they are the best sleds they have riddin but i have read to many things that are negative about the rev xp 800r.
P.S. I wanna bring my truck to your shop in a week or so, it needs some tlc haha later.

M

masneri

Feb 10, 2008
anchorage
Yeah i havnt called hatchers pass yet but i went to marita and after spring check it is going to run me 10,699 and if i spring check it it would be about 9,499 or somthing and then a free 2 year warrenty and like 500 bucks towards accesoriers.

M

masneri

Feb 10, 2008
anchorage
Yeah you wanna loan me 500 bucks then haha. I have way to many bills that are due the begeining of this month. If polaris would have a april 17th deadline like everyone else they would have my buisness thats all thats screwing me right now. But its all good i will find some thing to ride next season.

Premium Features