• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

We got nailed at Caribou Basin!!!

M
Last Saturday we were snowmobiling at Caribou Basin north of Revelstoke. No one in the group of five has been to this particular area before. My group has been coming out to Revelstoke to snowmobile from a range of 10 to 20 years, so we are aware of how the Caribou closures work. I looked at the Revelstoke club site to get the directions and to find out about the closures. So we woke up to clear skies Saturday and decide to explore somewhere new. So head up to Caribou staging area. The place was quite busy. We unload and head up we notice how well the trail is marked and take notice how the corridor is set up to the open area. We get to open area and start to tour around. We see a steep climb into the most eastern bowl. We get into the east bowl riding around. We decide to go down to this lake. I did mention to the group we need to pay close attention to any closure signs. So we dropped down to this small lake and go about another ½ mile not dropping down a lot so I was thinking we were ok to do so. There was also old track around so without seeing signs we feel pretty comfortable doing so. So we get to a wall of trees and we realize we can’t go any further. So we take a break in the sun.

Soon we hear a Helicopter and then see it overhead. It circles around us and then comes in lower and I realize it is going to land. It lands nearby and two guys in uniforms with hand guns and wearing MEC sunglasses come over to us. I then get the feeling something is wrong. He begins to tell us that we are in a closed area and he is going write us all tickets for $230 each. We plead with him that we had no idea that we were in a closed area and that there was no signs. He then gives us a break and tickets 3 out of 5 of us with $230 which totals $690 worth of fines. I’m just sick to my stomach can’t believe that we screw up like this. He also goes on to says that we should have used are GPS coordinates that are posted on the Revelstoke Snowmobile site to know where the boundaries were. They take a bunch of pictures of us and our snowmobiles. We ask who else is in the chopper besides the pilot they tell us someone from the Ministry of Environment is the chopper. He did not have the balls to show his face to us. So they finish writing up the ticket and we get back up to the open area. We spent the next 30 to 45 minutes searching for any signs that we may have missed. We found none.

So I get back home and decide to PM Powder Puff on here and tell her what happened. She put me in contact with the guy from the club who is working with the government on the Caribou closure boundaries. He tells me where we ticketed that the boundaries were not yet determined for that area and have not been signed. He also says that Government officials have stated that anybody that was in that area would not get ticketed until the boundaries were determined. I tell him about what the MEC sunglass wearing gun packing fish cop said about the GPS coordinates. He informs me that there is no GPS coordinates posted because the boundary has not been determined.

So it sounds like they just need to pay the Selkirk Helicopters rental with trying to trap us into paying tickets. This is not about saving Caribou it’s about making sledders look bad.

The 3 of us that were ticketed are disputing it. The hearing is supposed to be in Revelstoke. So it would be cheaper for us just to pay the tickets but that would make us guilty of something we are not.

I just thought I would share what how screwed up and corrupt the BC government is and how the sledders seem to always loose out in the name of saving the environment.

SleddingMar08056.jpg

Happy sledders just before we were nailed

SleddingMar08061.jpg

The visitors.

Link to video of Chopper getting the "us bad guys"

Last edited:
F
Nov 26, 2007
Well if it is anything like the cowboy's in the MOT,they have to justify their existance by writing tickets.Most of them never go to the court appearance's.The juges are so used to seeing the same pricks day in and day out they will hardly ever award some of them a win on the ticket.Good luck!!!:beer;

B
Feb 29, 2008
Sorry to hear. Seems like the officers are trying to show the minister they are doin their job and having a little bit of a power trip

Bummer....crappy end to a nice day! Just a thought........the chopper isn't it a motorized piece of equipment landing in an allegedly "Closed" area?

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
You need to fight this, and then you need to figure out a way to make it public. The fish cops are billy badazzing around, and haven't got a clue what they are doing.

Get the snowmobile club guy to put all of that in a letter, and officially sign it. Have the local fish cop in charge of that area show you the closure in writing.

Ever have to deal with a cop that showing off for the blond 18 year old, on a ride along. Sounds kinda similar.

M
You need to fight this, and then you need to figure out a way to make it public. The fish cops are billy badazzing around, and haven't got a clue what they are doing.

Get the snowmobile club guy to put all of that in a letter, and officially sign it. Have the local fish cop in charge of that area show you the closure in writing.

Ever have to deal with a cop that showing off for the blond 18 year old, on a ride along. Sounds kinda similar.

My contact at the snowmobile club tells me that they are considering getting the highest level of Government involved to deal with this. Also the B. C . Snowmobile Federation has been contacted about this issue.

Closure is not in writing because has not been settled between the Snowmobile club and the government. They were about to sign the agreement then this happen so I don't what going to happen. The B.C. Government can't be trusted I guess.

S

SilverGriz

Oct 22, 2004
Hayden, ID
Wow...they don't mess around. Landing a chopper just a few hundred yards away from you. Bad way to end a great day of riding. Good luck in your fight.

mountaincat68papa

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls MT.
Thats unbeliveable! I guess big brother is watching all the time, I guess I just get pissed what this world is getting to be all these BS closures, greenies Etc, To take a helicopter waste av fuel to nail good people in an area that is not posted not even sure if its closed yet I hope you guys beat them in court!!!!

M
Changed the "the Minister" to "someone from the Ministry"

I have been asked to edit my original post by the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club, and as well I want to make my story completely accurate. Apparently I have ruffed a few feathers. Our group has come to the conclusion that what was said to us by the Conservation Officer when we ask who was in the helicopter besides the pilot he said "someone from the Ministry of Environment” Sorry for the misunderstanding.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
So is it fair to say that it was a representative of the Ministry of Environment? :) Talk about semantics. The cops should have proved it by letting you met the person, if it was so important.

I have been asked to edit my original post by the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club, and as well I want to make my story completely accurate. Apparently I have ruffed a few feathers. Our group has come to the conclusion that what was said to us by the Conservation Officer when we ask who was in the helicopter besides the pilot he said "someone from the Ministry of Environment” Sorry for the misunderstanding.

A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
OK note to self, red chopper, into the trees! I am sorry but that is total BS it is all about signage, if you get a speeding ticket because you were doing 70 and the sign said 55 ok but if there is not sign? And the GPS comment i would have told the prick GPS's don't grow on trees and with these enviro fags, if GPS's did grow on trees they would have some lame azzed crap regulation that would not let me get one.

and exactly who is causing more enviro damage 5 sled or a chopper, hmm?

F

frock

Sep 13, 2005
British Columbia, Canada
Sorry to hear of your problems up here bigbull. There are only 2 days during a governments reign when we are a democracy; when we vote them in and when we vote them out. Outside of those days they do whatever the hell they want. Perhaps the fish cop has small-something syndrome:D. Hope you nail there collective asses to the wall.:beer;:beer;

J
Sep 21, 2005
Peace River, Alberta
PERFECT... I've never ridden this, but after reading your story, i'm not likely going there. There's plenty of snow in northern BC for me. It's sad that responsible sledders get nailed with this stuff.... And sad that they're driving away potential tourism with this crap. Good luck with fighting it. Sounds like thier fault entirely

M
So are you still disputing the tickets??? Is the local sledding place on your side???

My dispute had been registered and they said they will notify in writing the location and date of the hearing.

The Revelstoke snowmobile club supports us. They have exchanged emails and had some discussion with the Conservation Officer that wrote the tickets. He is not willing to withdraw the charges. He has changed his stance on the signage he now admits that there were no signs, unlike the day he ticketed us he said there were signs on the trees we rode past. He still maintains we should be able to understand the small confusing sign at the bottom of the riding area and use our photographic memory with build in GPS to know where the "still under negotiation" boundary's are. So I guess we will have to wait for the hearing and see what a judge rules about it.

Last edited:
N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
I have to congratulate you for following this through. We have to fight for what is right. Let us know when and where and if there is anything we can do to support the cause.

S
Dec 21, 2007
Coquitlam, BC
Seems unreal to me that the cop wouldn't withdraw the charges even though he knows the areas are 'under negotiation' and that there is no signage. No one with a law degree would support the charges. Good on you guys for fighting this crap!

Premium Features