• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow in Big Horns near Burgess Junction

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Hey SnoWesters,

I am just checking back in with everybody. Some of you may remember me from Meadowlark. Well, I am still in the Big Horns but I am up north at The Passage Resort now and lovin' life.

I got hired as the new Operations Manager up here and let's just say life is a lot less stressful here at The Passage. I will continue to give updates from my post on the mountains. Feel free to ask any questions via email or this thread.

By the way Last night (It's Saturday, March 22, 08) it snowed about five inches and some guys in the bar said that there was already too much powder (whatever that means). I guess he got stuck.

Snowmobilers have been rating the snow base as great, grooming as good, and fresh snow as fair (we'll see with the new snow if that improves).

Anyway, I had a lot of friends down in the southern Bighornies and I would love to see some of your smiling cold faces up here, this year or next. This is a somewhat permanent move for me.

:face-icon-small-hap Don't garage your sleds just yet, I think this season might stretch on.

Oh, I am also trying to get together a snowmobiling photo contest, with a sweet prize for those of you that have meandered up Highway 14 this year. I will let you know as the details unravel. You can check our website for weather updates too at thepassageresort.com.

Well, stay in touch and drop me a line,

Jilaena

By the way we did get that 10 inches out in the hills. It looks like only six inches out front but snowmobilers are using the same adjective to describe our snow right now, "Awesome!"

One wrote, "This is the best snow I have ever seen." Don't take my word for it though, I just work up here.

Let me know what you think of our snow up here.

Jilaena

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Does this mean you are going to try to staighten the place out? My last two times there were enough to make me start going to Bear instead of there.

searchandrescue

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
We have stayed there 5 years in a row. This year the passage didnt have room for us, so we went back to BEAR. We stayed in their new Duplex. The worse news is, with all the new lodging means more people. We will just have to go in deeper and deeper to find the good powder.

M
We have stayed there 5 years in a row. This year the passage didnt have room for us, so we went back to BEAR. We stayed in their new Duplex. The worse news is, with all the new lodging means more people. We will just have to go in deeper and deeper to find the good powder.

Now, you know what the locals who live here are thinking and doing....:eek:
But, we do like your money that is spent so you are always welcome to stay even longer just don't make it permanent....:face-icon-small-hap

D

deepsnowseeker

Jan 1, 2008
Mn.
We were out in the horns from the 1 to the 4th. Great snow. The Passage bailed us out from not having rooms, that weekend everyone was double booking, including Bear. We ended up staying in the new hotel, not much was done, however, we had a heater and a bed, what more do you need when snowmobiling?

We will give them a try again. Can't say, we actually spent much time there. Most of our time was at Bear or Arrowwood with friends.

If they ever get that hotel done it will be nice.

F
Mar 24, 2008
Wyoming
To bad you when't to the Passage, there more screw'd up then Meadowlark. Good luck!!! Passage Resort Sucks!!!!

It's too bad that your experience there was not up to your standards, however, if you havent noticed, good help is hard to find and KEEP on the mountain. I think what they are trying to do is good, and every lodge has its ups and downs. They have wonderful buffet dinners there and you can order off the menu at breakfast. The new rooms will help them to accomadate more people and make the Passage Resort more entertaining in the future.
Don't "throw them to the wolves" just yet. Atleast Jileana and Andy are trying to improve our selections on the mountain. For years you had NO choice as to where to stay or eat. So maybe take a look at the mountain they have to climb and dont judge too quickly.

N
Mar 24, 2008
It's too bad that your experience there was not up to your standards, however, if you havent noticed, good help is hard to find and KEEP on the mountain. I think what they are trying to do is good, and every lodge has its ups and downs. They have wonderful buffet dinners there and you can order off the menu at breakfast. The new rooms will help them to accomadate more people and make the Passage Resort more entertaining in the future.
Don't "throw them to the wolves" just yet. Atleast Jileana and Andy are trying to improve our selections on the mountain. For years you had NO choice as to where to stay or eat. So maybe take a look at the mountain they have to climb and dont judge too quickly.

I have noticed that sober help is easy to find; Bret and Andy ;) Also people that speak and understand English. Just look around, Wyoming is full of them! Order off the menu when someone is awake or not hung over or too busy making a drug deal or whatever you guys do, then the food is sometimes bearable. How about wonder bread with a cold thin slice of fatty prime rib for lunch? More rooms means more screw ups for you and more of us going elsewhere. The passage is already most entertaining; it is like watching a train wreck, it is slow moving but just keeps going and causing more damage. Or for you sports fans it is like watching a bunch of monkeys trying to f*%k a football. As far as being thrown to the wolves; you people have bathed in chicken blood and advertised in the Lycanthropy press that you are ready to be served. Unfortunately even to a starving pack of wolves you will leave a bad taste in their mouths. The mountain that you have to climb is being made higher by your own inability to see that you have bad management, poor judgement, and are always the first to cast aspersions and blame everyone except yourselves. Remember you can only make a first impression once and you have made a dandy!

Have a nice day:p

Wow, there are lot of interesting comments on here. I am new and I love it here. I think that competition on the mountain is healthy. It will make us all try that much harder, which will make the customers that much happier. I guess I don't know what has happened her in the past but we are working hard up here now. Thanks for the feedback....

Ya, I am a Ten Sleepian so I know how reliant some of the foothills towns are on mountain recreation. We get gobs of hunters, four wheelers, fifth wheels en route to Yellowstone and of course snowmobilers. I know in Ten Sleep at least they are always welcome.

Goin For Snow

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2002
South Haven MN
i must have caught the passage on odd day then. The service was great, the food is a 10, room was clean and everyone was super nice.
I couldnt have asked for a better experience. I would recommend them to anyone.
I wish i could have met the people mentioned above and told them how good a place they running.

notthepassage
stay away, more pow for everyone else. :)

Last edited:
T
Mar 25, 2008
I read alot of snowest forums but I have never felt the need to post anything until now. I have spent alot of time and money while riding the Big Horns, I have stayed anywhere that has room for us but this year we stayed at the passage. I guess we were lucky to have picked the week when we did because we had nothing short of a great time. The service in the dining room was good, I cant say that about the bar but we didnt spend alot of time there anyway. Our rooms were priced right and fairly clean.
We would really like to thank the young couple that we rode with they showed us riding we have never seen before. We had a sled in our group that broke down and the man fixed our sled (didnt charge us anything), and they also sent a video home with us of our ride. I would love to book another trip with the passage if we could go with them again. Unfortunately I dont recall the name of these folks, they definately made our trip west worth every mile. Thanks again

T
Mar 25, 2008
If we were to come up there this weekend is that couple still there? We would love to ride again this year. And also how is the hotel coming as far as lodging?

Construction in the winter is unpredictable to say the least. I am going to say that we are about three weeks out from completion, but then again I just looked outside and it looks like a blizzard so that holds everything up.

There have been a few couples up here that ride with folks. One is Betty and Jason and they regrettably are back home for the season as far as I know. The other couple is Terri and... shoot I can't remember her name. Anyway, the answer is I don't know.

We don't have any snowmobile guides employed by us. There are quite a few knowledgeable folks that haunt The Passage that may be able to go riding with you.

Sheesh, I can't believe this snow! If ever there were a weekend to come out I am sure it is this one. I would book it very soon though!

If some of you do come out, say hello. Would love to put faces with some of the names on here.

D
Dec 11, 2007
Jackson, Wy
Belle, Can you post a website with your next post? Live in Jackson now and there is a lot of good riding around here but always looking for new places to check out. Am originally from the upper midwest and some of the peeps I rode with from back there are starting to ride more mountain sleds, Big Horns may be a good place to meet up. Would like to get more info to try to plan a trip for next year.

Would also like to get more info on summer destinations. ATV or more specifically Jeep trails etc.. I know that the Big Horns have an abundance of logging roads and have wondered how much of that is legally accessible in the summer months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Belle, Can you post a website with your next post? Live in Jackson now and there is a lot of good riding around here but always looking for new places to check out. Am originally from the upper midwest and some of the peeps I rode with from back there are starting to ride more mountain sleds, Big Horns may be a good place to meet up. Would like to get more info to try to plan a trip for next year.

Would also like to get more info on summer destinations. ATV or more specifically Jeep trails etc.. I know that the Big Horns have an abundance of logging roads and have wondered how much of that is legally accessible in the summer months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there, our website is thepassageresort.com. There is wealth of information on there. There are lots of marked OR MV trails in the Big Horns.

On a side note, we are supposed to get another 11 inches tonight according to the national weather service. I will take a picture in the morning and post it for you all.

Premium Features