• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Painting/Refinishing question

W
Feb 10, 2008
I would like to hear some feedback on refinishing fiberglass hoods. I am familiar with a little auto body work and the fiberglassing and cloth for the underside. My question is for the finishing for nicks and small holes etc. Can a person use a good quality bondo on the outside and maybe some glazing bondo before the painting or is there something special we need to do. Live in Northern Minnesota and have 70 olympique, 71 tnt 340, 70 Panther, and 71 Lynx we plan on working on this summer. Thanks for any help. Jerry

PhantomCat

Phantom Goblin
Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2008
NW Montana
I would say you have the right idea! I would make sure you look on the back of the mud or glaze you buy to ensure it is compatible with fiberglass...I know that RAGE Exstream mud and Evercoat metal glaze 416 are compatible...I use both products at work. You also can try a number of 2 part epoxy from the LORD corp. The name is Fusor (not to sure on spelling) the numbers I can't remember but it is a great product...you should be able to get the job done with that.. :)

If you are going to just fill pin holes and small imperfections and not exceed 1/8" I would use the 416...very dependable for swelling and shrinkage and bondablity hope this helps.

PhantomCat

Phantom Goblin
Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2008
NW Montana
Also... make darn sure the nicks and holes are cleaned with air and a soft bristle brush...don't want dust in there...will create problems for you!

P
Nov 26, 2007
evercoat 2 part mix glaze works best. It is a polyester filler with hardner, very liquid and dries fast.

Go with a filler prime over the hood and a single stage paint for color

Sand the hood with 220 grit, then prime, sand primer with 400 grit wet, then paint

Premium Features