• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1970 Arctic Cat Panther 399 No Spark

B
Nov 28, 2007
Points are under the flywheel. They can be accessed through a window that is cut into the flywheel. The coil is external so you should be able to find that by tracing your plug wires back to it. Clean points as it takes very little dirt or grease to cause them to fail.

For the points: Cut a clean white business card into strips. Dip the strip in laquer thinner and drag it through the points and repeat with a new strip until it comes out clean. There should be two sets of points on a twin cylinder so do them both. Do not change the timing on the stator as you will have fun finding someone who actually knows how to set up the timing properly.

Albany Mountain

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Albany, Wyoming
Points are under the flywheel. They can be accessed through a window that is cut into the flywheel. The coil is external so you should be able to find that by tracing your plug wires back to it. Clean points as it takes very little dirt or grease to cause them to fail.

For the points: Cut a clean white business card into strips. Dip the strip in laquer thinner and drag it through the points and repeat with a new strip until it comes out clean. There should be two sets of points on a twin cylinder so do them both. Do not change the timing on the stator as you will have fun finding someone who actually knows how to set up the timing properly.

I have 71/72 model that has me about worn out. Starts and runs fine but just can't efficiently carry through the transition from low jetting to high. Rebuilt the carb, clutch, no improvement. Su'pos it could be dirty points?? (thought about coil replacement as well)

Thanks for any direction

B
Nov 28, 2007
I would suspect the carb Even though you rebuilt it. It does not take much to gunk up one of the small ports or even to have something mis adjusted.

Make sure you have good plugs in it and good gas before you go further though.

Premium Features