• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avy Classes? - Kelowna, Golden, Revelstoke, Red Deer, Washington

zacs

Lifetime Membership
I am doing a little fishing this weekend....

We have had phone calls from sledders in various communities asking about possible avalanche training in March and April. Anyone else interested??
If so, which dates and which communities. Thanks! :)
lori@zacstracs.com or 403-850-3042

Easter weekend is out and I am taking a course in Vancouver from April 1-5 so this weekend is unavailable as well.

What about next season?? We hope to start developing a training schedule for 2008-09. Your suggestions are welcome!

--------------------------------------
A great free resource ==>
Karl Klassen, a forecaster with the CAC, has posted a detailed 10 page report to help backcountry users make decisions during this freaky snow year.
http://www.avalancheinfo.net/Media/Persistent%20Weak%20Layers%20and%20the%20Winter%20of%202007-08.pdf

ORIGINAL PAPER
What’s the problem?
Where is the problem?
How do this year’s layers look and feel?
How long will these layers persist and what will make the problem go away?
If the layer is dormant, when will it wake up?
How do I manage risks associated with PWLs and deep slab instability?
FEBRUARY 27 UPDATE
What’s happening with the October, November, and December persistent weak layers?
Are Jan 26th and Feb 25th performers?
What is surface hoar?
The potential for step-down avalanches.
How do I manage my risk with these new persistent weak layers and the potential for step-down avalanches?

If the above link doesn't work, just go to www.avalanche.ca and look at the left hand side bar for a link to this .pdf

zacs

Lifetime Membership
Thanks for all your replies everyone!

Please keep adding to this thread to help us keep the it to the top. Thanks.

In order that we can identify the community with the most chance of filling a class, please email me (lori@zacstracs.com) with your contact info and the names of those that are interested in attending. Please identify the community and dates preferred.

The available dates are:
1) We will be in Revelstoke on Monday, March 17 and could easily run a WEEKDAY class in interior BC for 16-24 people
2) March 28-30 Calgary, Kelowna
3) April 11-13 OPEN
4) April 18-20 Red Deer, Golden
5) April 25-27 OPEN
Many weekday options are available.

The challenge is on...the first community to sign up 20 people confirms the weekend.

Last edited:

zacs

Lifetime Membership
Dates set

Here is our schedule. Take advantage of completing or updating your avy training yet this spring and save the powder days of next season for riding!

Mar 25 & 26 – Calgary, AB – AST1 Evening Classroom Sessions

Mar 29 & 30 – Vernon, BC – AST1 Class & Field

Mar 30 & 31 – Vernon, BC – AST1 Field Sessions

Apr 11-14 – OPEN WEEKEND – AST1 Class & Field Session

Apr 15 & 16 – Red Deer, AB – AST1 Evening Classroom Sessions

Apr 18-20 – Golden, BC – AST1 Evening Classes & Field Session

Apr 18 & 19 & 21 – Golden, BC – AST1 Field Sessions

For details related to all these classes please follow this link to Zac's Tracs - Course Details.
**NOTE** There are 20% discounts for groups of 6 or more. Get the guys trained up that ride with you....ride with assets...not liabilities.

163.jpg

The Canadian Avalanche Centre is promoting the use of the AVALUATOR as a decision making tool for backcountry users. Part of the AVALUATOR system requires the user to obtain terrain ratings for their desired riding areas. As sledders have access to a large amount of terrain that is not yet rated, I believe that it is important for us to learn to develop an eye for terrain.
For a discussion of the avalanche slope shown in the pictures CLICK HERE to be redirected to www.zacstracs.com

162.jpg

zacs

Lifetime Membership
March Newsletter

Click HERE to be redirected to Zac's Tracs latest newsletter.

These are some of the topics included in the March issue:
  • Zac's Tracs posts our first YouTube video.
  • Check out your skills at rating terrain.
  • Discussion about a 7 foot avalanche fracture that involved 5 snowmobilers
  • The Bulletins are getting so complicated?! Help!

Please note - the Calgary course has been moved to Apr 8&9 and the location is now Okotoks (approximately 15 minutes south of Calgary).

Premium Features