• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone make their own salt shield/ramps

S

seth25

Jan 9, 2008
Sedalia, CO
I have a four place drive on/off trailer. There is a removeable ramp that is used in both the front and back. I get a lot of road debris thrown up on the sleds and was wondering if anyone has made their own salt shield/ramps. I am trying to go low budget here and am trying to find some scrap angle iron, sheet metal to make it with.

Thanks

A
Nov 26, 2007
Ft Collins CO
Made some for the front of my 2 place. It's a v-nose with stake pockets in the front. Made hinges out of scrap tube and rod and mounted them in the pockets. Used 1" steel and ladder framed the ramps. Put a couple of pieces on the inside edges so when it's in the upright position I can drop a pin in to hold the ramps together. Painted it up and sheeted the front with some 1/4" plastic, and put plastic runners on the other side for the skiis. Looks factory and only took a few hours. If you go this route get UV resistant plastic or it will get brittle and crack after a year. Sorry no pics, it's up at our cabin. I could snap some this weekend if it would help you out.

S

seth25

Jan 9, 2008
Sedalia, CO
I went down to the metal shop and got some 1.5" angle and 1" square steel. I got it welded up, painted, and ended up just putting scrap plywood on the front for now. I will search for some scrap sheet metal this summer and replace the plywood. I tried it out this weekend and it worked great!!! Kept the sleds nice and clean and made loading/unloading very easy. Total cost was $150.

131.JPG 138.JPG

S

seth25

Jan 9, 2008
Sedalia, CO
Not sure what guage it is. I just told the guy that it needed to support around 700lbs and that is what he suggested.

Premium Features