• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking to buy lot - Red Feathers or Kremmling

V
Nov 27, 2007
denver area
I own a lot in Craig and love the area, but I may sell to find something closer to Denver. A couple of areas we saw online are Kremmling - either Big Horn Park or Old Park and Red Feathers Lake - Crystal Lakes or something meadows.

Besides Snowmobiling we like to ride atv's and dirt bikes. Anyone have knowledge of these areas and how riding is around there? I figure Kremmling sledding would be RE area or Grand Lake and Red Feathers would be Gould or RE which seems like a hike. Not sure about atving around those areas.

We would like to park a camper during the summer and eventually build a log home in the 1000 to 1200 sf range.

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Getting from Red Feathers to any of the popular snowmobiling areas is tough. Unless you can drop down the dirt road into Cameron Pass (hit and miss in the winter), where you can get to Gould. There is some riding west of Red Feathers, but no system. Getting to Snowy Range, you have to drive out to the hwy. Some ATV/MC in the summer, but not much quality stuff as you might think looking at a map.

Definately more riding oppertunities 360 from Kremmling .. winter and summer.

Last edited:
R
Nov 28, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I spent quite a bit of time in the Old Park area. For a family it would rock - lots of good activities both winter and summer but the prices up there in the past 10 years have gotten out of hand IMO. Sledding is marginal unless you want to trailer - the trails over there never see a groomer (outside of 100 and occasionally, 250) but any riding from your doorstep is good :) If you don't back up to national forest, you'll be riding dirt roads to get to riding areas as they really maintain the roads up there very well (a positive for getting there - negative for riding). I've been looking into some land up in the RE area and have pretty much settled on RE Village but am not sure about winter access and HOA fees there as there are some community ammenities that need to be paid for somehow. My 2 cents for a family friendly year round accessible place - it would be tough to beat Old Park if you have the funds to get it done. Keep in mind, most of the lots available up there currently are down low / bottom land with lots of sage and no trees. Good luck :)

Last edited:
B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
Old Park is an excellent choice---however, treeless may be a good thing as the pine beetle is making its way over there and the trees will be dead in a few years--big time fire danger. You'll have a hard time getting fire insurance--one of the reasons I left Grand Lake:mad:

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
RE villiage sounds pretty good Jeff, lets do a package deal!

I live in the RFL area and it has it's advantages/disadvantages. An hour to Ft. Collins. Two hours to the snowies, an hour from cameron pass, 1.5 to gould, 2 to buff pass, and 2.5 to RE. But the road that drops down into poudre canyon from up top can be a white knuckle ride for some though. I do it without problems, but you could be fishing your rig out of the gulch if you mess it up. Add an hour and a half to go around the easy way though. From Beaver meadows or Crystal lakes subdivisions you could concievably sled from your door to a lot of square miles of terrain in the laramie range, west of town. It's not half the quality of snow you get at Rabbit ears, but pretty great for right out the back door. The ATVing is OK up there, though not real extreme or anything, but they are starting to close some old roads to ATV's and limit access more now. If it was me I'd go for something around Kremmling for a rec property.

K
Nov 26, 2007
colorado
re village

re village the dues are 500 bucks for the year, and their is access to national forest, some of the states best ridding right out the door and suurounded by aspens which is good for the future, agianst the beetle. I bought land this year at re village, I looked at old park and lots were twice as much without a veiw. re village is geared for snowmobiling and atvs. In the covenants it states that there should be a 20 foot easment on the back of your lot just for snowmobile trails, and all roads , snowmobile and atvs are allowed in re village

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
Good point about the trees/beetles. Lodgepole pine forest are going to be history pretty soon up here. The die off is very evident along 14 as you approach hwy 40. The higher elevations like RE pass have quite a bit of spruce that will be ok and the low stuff below red feather has a lot of ponderosa, which isn't hit too hard. Personally, I'd kinda of like to see some areas thinned out. The lodgepole forest have become doghair and stale due to our forest fire elimination policies. Be nice to see some grassy meadows with elk grazing again.

Premium Features