• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sonora pass

S
Aug 25, 2001
Minden, Nevada
Swamis seal of approval

I'm an eastsider. I'm up there maybe four or five times a year, but there's so much to explore between 7000 and 11,000 when the snow is good that I still haven't even poked around much to the west. The big drainage south of the pass (Leavitt) can collect huge snows and has some jaw dropping climbs - that's where the FS opened most of the new acreage. The one thing everyone comments on is the wild scale of the terrain. From the westside gates I hear it is a ride and a half just to the pass. Though eastside to the crest is quicker, use is sporadic. I've seen 60+ sleds in March and I've tagged lonesome trackless fresh all day in Jan and Feb. But I start so early, I've set tracks for the USMC groomer more than once :D
The snow is a little thin up there this year IMO, (compared to Tahoe basin), but keep in mind that I'm very picky and spoiled rotten. :beer;

Any west siders?

Thanks swami Can't wait. I just got my first sled. I should have got one long ago! Hope we get a chance to ride. Any west siders on this site? Not one response from anybody on this side. Maybe that says something about the west side. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about the west side of the pass?
BLUE SKY DEEP SNOW

S
Dec 11, 2007
I might be headed up there tomorrow on the west side depending on the conditions. Went up two weeks ago and it was beginning to get hard but I've heard there is some fresh now.

S
Apr 13, 2003
Discovery Bay, CA
I'm gonna p@ss alot of westsiders off, but some of the best riding in Cali is long B4 you get to the top of the pass & over to Levitt, even though Levitt is probably one of the top hillclimb areas. Westside has it's share of climbs & is the boondock capital. Just gotta know where to go.
Long's Valley, Eagle, backside of Eagle, Pinecrest Ridge, Windy Ridge & the oldest cypress in the world, Top of the World, etc.

All long B4 you get to the top!

But sshhh, its a secret!!!!!!!!!!:D :devil: :face-icon-small-win

KenS

S
Aug 25, 2001
Minden, Nevada
in deep thought

Mucho snow and wind this w/e, but looks like a classic blazin' blue Monday. Hi near freezing, 2-3 feet totally trackless sparklin fresh. Probably even more above 9K. Maybe hard to reach from the west. I can be at 10K B 4 10:00 am, even if I have to break trail. Very tempting. The snow will be fluffy deep all Monday and avi hazard will be hi. Tuesday will be warmer w/set snow, almost (hehe) trackless. Guessing that USMC will probably regroom the eastside Mon or Tues? Choices... :)

Blue skis!

You make sound too good to miss. GPS shows about 25 miles from bottom to top. It's Long way to the top if you want to rock and roll. In the fresh deep stuff is sounds like a day just up and back. And not much time at the top. But Ive driven that pass many times and can't wait ride it. And at the top waits heaven on earth! Hope to see it soon!

DEEP TRACTS AND LIGHT SNOW

King o the Hill

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Long Beach, Ca
www.teamsummit.net
Just went a couple of weeks ago from East Side...was wonderful (pictures at) sierrasledders.com under Sonora Pass was great...as astated thin at top but the area was virtually untracked since the snow quit the weekend before, MONSTER climbs, Chutes everywhere and Boondocking at every turn ...camped and enjoyed the whole weekend...definitely pays to be an easterner in this riding area...the group we met up with from the west side had a hell of a long day and we saw them for a mere 30 minutes before we had to head out (under headlights)...GREAT area 'specially from the East

Last edited:
S
Aug 25, 2001
Minden, Nevada
Eastside Hwy 108 & upper Leavitt Creek, Tuesday 2/26/08

Heavy snow ended early am on Monday, 2/25. Two feet fresh at 7000 and it just got deeper on up. Very fluffy under a very light crust (sun was strong by late Monday). No grooming yet.

I could tell that on Monday a couple of crews punched up the road about 9 miles - as far as Leavitt Lake - but must have run out of time cause the miles of open snow above treeline were totally unmarked Tuesday morn. That changed Tuesday for sure, but hardly at all considering there were so many sleds up there by afternoon. But it was mostly a video production outfit building a huge snowboard launch, which they didn't even use! (They were preparing the scene for a video - better light - Wed morning). That was their problem. Since their sleds were idle 90% of the day, it was up to me to take charge of all those vacant snowfields above Leavitt Creek. :eek: Darned hot work too in soft snow - it was 40F up there by 11 am! (Those crazy board jockeys are gonna be bombing some serious crust by Wed morn).

Also note: I dug out a parking niche to the side at road's end, but later arrivals just sprawled into the eastbound lane, pinching off Caltrans equipment. The CHP up there told me that is going to lead to trouble. So anyone going up there - please be nice to Caltrans, they are valuable friends.

Last edited:
The top?

I went up hwy 108 Wednesday. Hard to to get better weather. But when I got to Kennedy meadows the trail stopped? There was not sled mark past the groom.
Has anybody Gone over from the west side? On 108? Nice ride lots more to see! Lots more trails. But does anybody stay on the hwy all the way over?
James S.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
PM Jlowe from team summit and contact the people at the lodge.

Last year Team Summit went from the East side and they said the snow stopped and started a couple times because of elevation.

donbrown

N

nicholasapp

Dec 14, 2007
thinking about going on saturday. to the east side. anyone know the latest conditions?? thanks..

Spotty.

I was at the lodge and ask about the pass. They said a couple of sleds went over and the snow was spotty in a couple of places. And it stop a couple of times. And a little water flowing across the road. but no problems.
We had a nice ride.

N

nicholasapp

Dec 14, 2007
sweet its on. me and three other guys from truckee will be headed out saturday. hope it'll be a good day!!!

Premium Features