• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

whats the deal with hylight?

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
It's closed but the forest service is being sued over it right now so I don't THINK they can legally ticket you until the case is closed.

S
Feb 5, 2008
montana
it is closed and they can ticket you. as far as they are concerned the bill has passed and untill the judge rules on it, it's closed. the trail is opened so the ice climbers can still have their fun but no off trail riding. so ride it, ride it hard but make sure theres no big brother watching you!!!

T
Nov 27, 2007
Closed and the tickets stick in court, I have learned the hard way already this season! First one was $190, second one, they will take my sled.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
How can the tickets stick in court if the F'in judge himself hasn't ruled on it.
F'in B.S.
Maybe we should try are little FU ride again....except before we we're unsure if the tickets would hold up in court and now we know.
Talk about a adrenline ride, don't even have to climb.:)

L
Feb 12, 2008
Bozeman, MT
lets all go ride it the same day....protest ride... they wont ticket 50 of us. lol

Love the idea, but since there is only one way in or out, they'll just wait at the bottom and ticket every one of us.

I am glad that I have left my sled in Wise River at a buddies house this year, or I am sure that I would have joined the ticketed brigade as well. It was nice to be able to jump in the truck and be able to ride in under ten minutes on a big snow day.

Of course, as you were heading up the unplowed road, you just new you were going to find some dumb @#$ with his Subaru driving on the packed snowmobile tracks coming at you.

I can only imagine the headlines in the Bozeman Daily Comicle after a "protest" ride... It would be just like we were riding in a Wilderness Area to them. It may be a better idea to just get every sledder in the valley to show up with their trucks and trailers, and just completely jam up the road. Pick a weekend that the "new" users are planning something, and make them hike in a few extra miles. The Montana Wilderness Association does the same thing to the ORV crowd by scheduling hikes in the backcountry on trails that are being used by motorized groups to create conflict. Why not do the same thing?

Unless you are a hiker, no one now living in the Gallatin Valley wants to see or hear you if you have a sled, bike, ATV, or 4x4. The headquarters of the fun police are located here.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
That sounds like a GREAT idea landshark.
We should block the crap of the parking lot and be super friendly to all suburuies.
Then the following day we could get back together and actually do a ride somewhere.

R
Nov 29, 2007
Livingston, Montana
Yes I recieved my warning ticket at Tailors Forkoff. Watch the closed area at the parking area. It is marked by itty bitty signs. What a mess we are in boys! Due to all my friends wearing skirts now, I have taken on a new mid week hobby. Last night I was ice fishing on Hyalite, yes I snowshoed my fat *** out on the ice dragging all my shi.....tuff. With two snocats nice and warm in the shop at home. Two vehicles showed up at the dam (the road is plowed), What unsocial bastards. Being a bit confused by their fisherman unfriendlyness, I went back to my spot on the ice. I was amused however to see them ride out across the lake like they owned the place. The Forest service guys who wrote me the coveted "you got hosed ticket" were nice(relatively) as well as informative about this areas closers. Now the guys in green at Hyalite were either as confused as us riders, or just non informational dickheads.

Me and 5 others are down to sess hilite. tell me when and where to park my truck in the center of the road, and ill do it. Maybe we can figure out a way to knock the ice down so the ****ing ice climbers would go home. Since ive been going to school here, hilites been kind of a sink or swim deal. Either you could do what you wanted to up there, or you got stuck in the first parking lot. The forest cops didnt plow it so all the subarus and honda accords could get up. kinda cheapened the place

Last edited:
C
Nov 27, 2007
Montana
Hyalite has been plowed at least to the lake, maybe to Grotto Trailhead. The tickets issued will stick in court and are 225.00. I know from experience. The only place to ride up there is a small piece up Moser road. You cannot ride a sled on a plowed road on the Forest or in Gallatin county.

Premium Features