• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Final sled decision...Nytro MTX or XP 146?

S
Feb 5, 2008
Anchorage
Edit: Couple pics on page 2

Hey guys, sorry for the new post but I thought it might draw a little more attention. I'm having a serious personal debate with myself tonight so I thought I'd ask for input. Here's the deal...

I went to every dealer in Anchorage today, Polaris, Cat, Doo, Yamaha. I sat on all the sleds I've been considering and was able to narrow down my choice. Here's my opinon:

08 Arctic Cat M8 Sno Pro - Hated the fit and finish. I worked as a test engineer for BMW for a few years and fit and finish was one of my responsibilities. There is no way I could buy this...just personal opinion, not for me.

08 Polaris RMK 600 155 - Nice sled but didn't feel as good to me as a couple of the other sleds. I definitely think Polaris puts out nice products but I don't think I want to spend what it would take to get a Dragon 800.

08 Ski-doo Rev-xp Summit 146 - This is probably my favorite sled to sit/stand on. I love the styling and power but am concerned on the reliability. I've read a countless number of posts debating the reliability of this machine and know what everyone thinks. The guys at AKMD seemed very knowledgeable, they spent a lot of time with me, the service dept candidly answered every question I had (belts, driveshaft, hand warmers). From what they said, the belt issue has been taken care of with the new belt. They said they have seen two driveshaft issues but said they seem scarce. The hand warmer issue has been corrected. All in all, I've been very impressed with them and love the XP...if it hadn't had any issues it would be in my garage right now. The main aspect that complicates things is that they just dropped the price to 8600 which is 1000 less than the Nytro I was leaning towards.

08 Yamaha FX Nytro MTX - The main competition to the XP (in my choices). I really like the fit and finish, reliability factor, operational costs, etc. I like the red and black anniversary edition but don't want to spend the extra 300 so Blue it is (if I go with it). The guys at Anchorage Yamaha also seemed very knowledgeable and I think it would be a great sled.

So for a summary, I've basically narrowed my choice down the the XP or the Nytro. The XP has the weight, power, price, and overall appeal advantage (to me). The Yamaha has the reliability advantage. I was hoping to get direct thoughts on these two sleds. I haven't ridden either but nobody I know has either so I'm probably just going to end up getting one of them and learning to ride it...I'm sure I'll be happy either way.

So vote and include your thoughts...

08 Summit XP 146 - $8600
08 Yamaha FX Nytro - $9600

Sorry for the long post but this is a pretty large purchase for me and I was looking for expert opinions :)

Thanks,
Chris

Btw...both said they can have them ready by this weekend (if I let them know tomorrow) and I'm hoping to head to p-ville Sat. Anyone else heading up?

Last edited:
M
Nov 27, 2007
Mulletville, AK.
By the time the Alaska crew here on Snowest has finished with you, you will be even more confused. Honestly, what color do you like? Any of the above four sleds you looked at would work great. They all have little quarks and issues, some more than others. In this day and age of snowmachines it is 90% rider and 10% sled, they are all that good.

You asked about the XP and Nytro. My take; The XP is a class leading sled in power and weight but has some first year teething problems that can be worked out. With a little tuning it flat out rips. The Nytro is going to be a little proky and a little under powered, but, it will be as reliable and an anvil and rides much lighter in the pow than the scales read. Add a hair dryer and hang on.

Where you ride is a factor in what you ride. How skilled of a rider are you on a 1-10 scale? Do you like to tune,tinker and wrench or just add oil,fuel and pull the rope?

Guys that bleed red, blue, green and yellow are going to try to convince you to purchase their brand but I will ask you again, what color do you like?

Happy shopping,:) MTNSLD

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
Honestly man-- straight up .....

Its soo close the snow check season I would wait. \

Borrow a friends sled and go to Arctic Man. When you get there you can ride all the new 09 sleds and make your mind up for yourself.

Alittle paitence will go a long ways right now. You dont want to spend 11k and regret it.

its make or break man, you have never been on a sled so you want to make the best decision possible or you will hate spending the money later.

Ak

S
Feb 5, 2008
Anchorage
Where you ride is a factor in what you ride. How skilled of a rider are you on a 1-10 scale? Do you like to tune,tinker and wrench or just add oil,fuel and pull the rope?

I'll probably be riding with people in p-ville and turnagain. I'm totally new to sleds but will hopefully catch on quick. I know if doesn't really translate but I sold my yamaha R6 down south before I moved up so am into power sports. I like to wrench it to a certain extent but don't want it taking away from my riding time.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
Sledding season is just about to begin, so if your ready to jump in, you might as well just do it. If I had the choice between those two sleds and money wasnt the object I would go with the Nytro, but since there is a significant price advantage the XP looks good to. I would check to see who has the new XP with the new belt, if that is the cure for the early season problem then the XP would look real good.

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
I'll probably be riding with people in p-ville and turnagain. I'm totally new to sleds but will hopefully catch on quick. I know if doesn't really translate but I sold my yamaha R6 down south before I moved up so am into power sports. I like to wrench it to a certain extent but don't want it taking away from my riding time.

Arctic Man and you will answer your own questions.

Seriously

+ buy an X model anyways man.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
man chris, if it wasn't for the fact that a guy at work has a 146 xp that he bought from ak mining that still gets a belt about every 50 to a 100 miles..I would say buy it..but first year rider...I would advise you to rent or borrow till articman and ride em all first..of the two I would take the nitro..ride it and learn..minimal work or problems to have to worry about while you learn to ride...powder riding is simple to learn...tough to master..and how all the machines ride and react are different unto themselves...I love doo's..but hate the feel of the xp..just can't get used to it...love the cat..it is by far the easiest to grow on you...rent a different sled each ride till you find the one that fits...it may save you a 11 grand mistake...you are welcome to try both my dragon 8 as well as my sons rmk 600 ho....

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
I won't make an argument since they all have issues. I'm just going to say I've put 1,200 miles on my MTX this year and I'll I've done is turn the key. I've never had more fun. Demo both and pick one, they're all great sleds.

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
I would pull the trigger on the Nytro. Borrowing a sled when youre new in a state, let alone a sport, might be more difficult to do than one might think and renting can be super expensive. Every year sleds will get better, and all the sled manufactureres are making great mountain sleds right now. Just pony up and get the Nytro now, youll make up the difference in price not buying belts and driving to the dealer, plus youll get to ride on Saturday with your own sled. Good Luck

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, AK
For someone new to the sport I would go with the Nytro as well. Offer them something in between and tell them you want the anniversary edition can't hurt to ask. They don't want to be selling 08's in October.
Everything may have some minor issues, but the XP has to many well documented issues and BRP / Ski-doo has used their customers as a test bed to often lately for me to trust that they have things worked out.
My .02

Last edited:
D
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, Ak
If it were my $$ I would do one of 3 things:

Buy the Yami if you are willing to fork out the dough. There will be a lot less maintenence in the long run. Being new to the sport, you will probably have to fork out a ton of $$ for gear (beacon, probe, shovel, backpack, gps, clothing, trailer, sleddeck, ect).

Look for a low milage 2006 summit. They are far and above the best and most reliable sleds doo put out, in my opinion. There was an X model 800 on craigslist in Anchorage for $7,300 with low miles. I have one and it has been flawless so far.

Snow check a new doo in the spring. I think by then they should have most of the bugs worked out.

My .02 worth.

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
What kind of sleds are your buddies going to be riding? Do you mind getting beat on the hill? The Nytro is a sweet sled but if you don't have plans for boost in the future you're going to be taking a backseat to the lighter more powerful 800 2-strokes. Especially in the steep and deep.

The XP is too much of a liability IMO. The sled should rip but unless the dealership guarantees, in writing, they will replace your $150 belts for free I wouldn't go that route.

IMO the best sled for your money (If you aren't planning on Boost :D) in 2008 is the 800 Dragon. Hartley Motors in Wasilla has an 800 Dragon 155" sitting on their floor right now and I would be suprised (if you have any type of negotiating skills) if you couldn't walk out the door with that sled for $9,500-$9,800. The sleds have been bullit proof and performance wise they will run with the XPs without all the durability issues.

The Nytro will not run with either of the 800s in stock configuration but if that isn't a concern to you that would also be a great choice.

W
Don't get too hung up on fit and finish. After a few trees, a couple of rocks, a roll down the hill, etc. all of the sleds will have the same cracks, bent stuff, scratches, new parts, etc. If you are looking for a trail machine that won't see obstacles or be covered in powder this might make sense. But, some of the best riders have their plastic held together with Duct Tape. Remember these aren't Beemers.

The reason I bring this up is the reliability of the Arctic Cat. Not as powerful as an 800 Dragon or Rev XP, but for a first sled I'm sure it will fill your power to skill ratio. An M8 should be cheaper than the Skidoo and Dragon, and have less belt/motor/new build issues. They will carve through the powder with the best of them and get you high enough on the hill that you will be scared coming back down.

Just my 2 cents and that is about all it is worth. Happy shopping.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Peters Creek, AK
Here is my 2 cents.

I bleed red, so we wont go there but what I will say is the lighter the sled, the better you will feel at the end of the day and the more fun you will have.

I came off a 900 RMK to an 08 Dragon. I feel a whole lot better and have more fun in the trees now. Not haveing to fight the weight is a big plus. Just something to think about with the Yammi.

I could tell you about the uphill drags I had with a XP 800R 146 last weekend, but I dont want to burst too many bubbles on a Fri:D

T
Nov 21, 2007
Wasilla Alaska
The nytro is a blast ! Definately ride one before you make your mind up ! If you get hell bent on being a high marker , then you can slap a supercharger or turbo on it in the future . It'll be there for you year after year .

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
If you do get a Nytro, there a few must do's. Pre-filter material to cover the two large vents in the sidepanels and the two openings in the cowl(can buy it in an 18" square at CC for $35). Powermadd pivot adapter and riser(stock riser sucks), Snow Eliminators(stock boards don't evacuate snow), and if you're heavy(over 200 lbs) you'll want the 2100nm Apex torsion springs.

T

Theron

Dec 10, 2007
Anchorage
profile.myspace.com
If your that torn on the two. Let the dealers decide. Try to make a good deal. If one dealer wont budge than it will be easy to walk out and go to option b. They are both good sleds for different reasons and unless you can ride both of them which seems near impossible you wont know for sure which is right for you. If you want a sled now use your options to your advantage in getting a good deal.

Premium Features