• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nuts

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
Took Josh's 06 600 to the test zone tonight after setting up the clutches and rejetting. We also modded the air box to let breath cold air. The results are flippin nuts fun. We also removed the front shock and coil spring for better ride and weight transfer. This thing pulls harder than the 800 did before i started to clutch it and mod it. Now we are happy with the power for 1500ft but need to set up for the mtns. Can't wait for next time.:D

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
squat

the front end lifts without the front shock because it allows the skid to squat under acceleration. It does ride much softer though. We will try with just the shock in next time without the coil spring and see what happens then.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
the front end lifts without the front shock because it allows the skid to squat under acceleration. It does ride much softer though. We will try with just the shock in next time without the coil spring and see what happens then.

So when you mention "weight transfer" in your original post, I was under the impression it would shift your weight forward on the ski but it sounds like just the opposite effect. On the trail its hard to keep that ski in the snow while accelerating out of a corner, I thought maybe the removal the front shock would help with that.

S
Weight Transfer

So when you mention "weight transfer" in your original post, I was under the impression it would shift your weight forward on the ski but it sounds like just the opposite effect. On the trail its hard to keep that ski in the snow while accelerating out of a corner, I thought maybe the removal the front shock would help with that.

The middle shock (w/ spring on it) applies force to the FRONT of the track as the rear sunspension compresses. When you roll the throttle off at speed, the middle spring resists compression and applies force to the front of the track, keeping the ski feeling lighter. Less spring tension and/or entire removal of the spring will make the ski feel heavy when rolling the thottle off at speed (I have a 05 600HO w/ spring removed - shock still on). With the spring removed the track can pivot around the lower mount freely, allowing the track to begin to pivot up to follow the terrain better. IMO the spring was a crutch that helped them steer the hawks before they had a good ski design. Think about all the washouts w/ the original ski design if all the weight transfer was allowed to happen.
On acceleration, the track is being pulled by the belt at the rear in the same direction and assists the middle spring. You may feel the weight transfer quite a bit more as it allows more to go foward w/o the spring. I actually try to "ride the track" under acceleration and just skim the ski along, much like a big fat dirt bike in the sand dunes.
When it doubt slam that throttle!

Last edited:

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
belt and shock

We installed the shock again with out the coil spring on now. Also we installed the 800 drive belt to the 600 and adjusted the belt tension to the recomended 1.25 inches of deflection. Now the belt is much closer to the .020 side play on the primary and about a 1/16 above the secondary. Should have better gear range now just not sure if it will ride over the primary clutch. Anyone done this? This belt is about the same as the xlt belt others have talked about before.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
tony

what do you mean with all your mubo jumbo you need to explain yourself better sometimes We all know you like to talk so who cares if you said it before just make your answers clean a second time!:beer;

H
Dec 23, 2007
Hey J&L , if your running a cat secondary the polaris 11066 belt works well , it sits up about an 1/8 on your secondary and i have been getting much better life out of these compared to the dayco ultimax belts

Premium Features