• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Removing Oil Injection Fan cooled Phazer???

M
Jan 14, 2004
How do you go about removing the oil injection on an older fan cooled Phazer and onces it's done what ratio should I mix the gas. Been a long time since I've done anything like this,

M5

T
Nov 27, 2007
On my 89 phazer, the injection lines went into the engine side of the carbs. I put vacuum caps on those nipples then proceeded to remove oil pump, reservoir, lines cables etc. Drain the carbs and gas tank and refill with gas/oil mixed at 32:1. I have been running mine this way for going on 4 seasons now. I realize the mixture is probably very oil rich and 40:1 or 50:1 could probably be used but I am not interested in fixing a burned down motor. I have seen warnings about this, that it actually reduces the amount of gasoline available in a given measure of fluid volume. That being said, watch your pliugs for a lean condition. The only reason I went this route was the oil pump and housing had experienced damage prior to my buying the sled. As this was just a beater, I wanted to put as little as possible into the sled. At the time, the parts I needed were to expensive new and unavailable used. Hope that helps.

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
When I did mine I looped the lines coming off the pump and plugged the ones on the reed blocks. I left the pump in place and pumped some grease in the housing so that the tach drive would continue to be lubed. Ran mine at 32:1 as it was a pretty hot motor package, but 40 or 50 would be fine I'm guessing.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Cowtown, AB
I had a dealer convert mine so cannot not help on the how. They told me that with an oil pump set up the mix ratio varies with rpms from 100:1 at idle to 32:1 at full throttle. So I mix mine at 32:1; it smokes like a wild fire untill it warms up then it returns to normal 2-smoke levels.

I've got about 1500km on since I converted it and 6000kms total on the machine.

M
Jan 14, 2004
The motor I bought for my kids sled the oil pump was damaged in shipping so I want to just eliminate it all together. The pump itself was all smashed to bits so If I remove it can I just put a plate over the hole and seal it up?

Thx M5

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
The pump drives the tach,and the oil from the pump lubes the shaft,so you can't take the pump out,it acts as a bushing. So what did was gut the pump,fit it with a grease nipple and grease it once a year and ran it at 40:1,years of trouble free service.

M
Jan 14, 2004
The pump drives the tach,and the oil from the pump lubes the shaft,so you can't take the pump out,it acts as a bushing. So what did was gut the pump,fit it with a grease nipple and grease it once a year and ran it at 40:1,years of trouble free service.

Tach or speedo? Doesn't the tach signal come from the electric side of things? I don't need a speedo.

M5

M
Jan 14, 2004
Guess I'll have to find a drive somewhere. If I plug it off for this weekend shouldn't hurt anything in there should I just use the Ear Tach.

M5

Premium Features