• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kern / Sherman Pass access via 395 / nine mile road

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Has anyone tried to access Sherman Pass / Kern Plateau from nine mile road off HWY 395?

This would be just north of the 395 / 14 junction.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Nine mile road is off the 395 a few miles past the Shell gas station ... in Pearsonville ca

Once you go past the Shell station there are no more gas stations.

On nine mile road and Sherman Pass road there are no gas stations.

Up on nine mile road/Sherman Pass Road there are a couple seasonal very country stores where I have been by and they were not open.

I know people who rode from Kennedy Meadows but the trail is not groomed till you get to Troy Meadow.

There is a gate on both ends of Sherman Pass Road that are suppose to remain unlocked BUT the TULARE county Sheriff has a habit of locking them so they do not have to patrol the area.

Drive time ... from the 395 to the trailhead is 1 to 2 hours depending on vehicle and road conditions.

Trail head is past the south fork Kern a couple miles.

Park anywhere as long as people can turn around and vehicles can pass parked vehicle.

We typically park on the road and camp or at any turn off.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
ShermanTrails%20225.jpg
Sugarloafers from Bakersfield ride the area and have maps on their website.

http://www.sugarloafers.com/

This area is remote and you will be lucky to see another group on the weekend.

During the week there is typically noone there.

http://www.sugarloafers.com/sherman.htm

http://www.sugarloafers.com/images/ShermanTrails%20225.jpg

Elevation is typically 7000 to 9500 with most meadows around 8000.

If you like to 4WD

http://www.totalescape.com/active/campstuff/CAMPGR/INYONF/monache.html

Last edited:
G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
The acess from 395 is shorter than the Isabella side, depending on where you're coming from, but like Don said the gate gets "mysteriously" locked occasionally. I got bit on this last year after the drive up and finding it locked, and not enough coverage to get around. Snow coverage can be iffy at times there too, even when the Isabella side is loaded.
Travis---We have a loose-knit group down here that rides up there pretty often, look for a 'South area' thread as the season nears, maybe we can hook up some people if you're out that way.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Nice guys...Don, did the fire get your cabin?

How's summer treating everyone? Let's get together soon.

Newcomb's did not burn down, and so far Mt. Waterman is OK, so Buckhorn must be since we are a few miles next to each other. Both Newcomb's and Mt. Waterman have Facebook pages with current posts. The fire seems to be near Angel's camp. There are trying to keep it out of Devil's canyon ... which makes sense because that canyon got it's name from the steep inclines and very rough terrain.

There is a KPCC interview with Darrel Martinelli, who runs Newcomb's. You can hear it at

http://www.scpr.org/news/2009/09/03/station-fire-close-newcombs-ranch/

Last year the beetle was hitting the area hard and we dropped quite a few trees. Plus they required us to go out 300 feet from all dwellings.

I wouldn't be surprised to get there and see the fire fighters accessed the cabin and stayed there but they have permission to use the cabin at anytime. Fine with me ... since they protect the area !!! Anyway the cabin is a coop and I'm just a member ... not a decision maker.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info!

Sounds like the gate could be a pain. I rode Mammoth last year which was nice but would like to find something a little closer to the Palm Springs area for quick trips.

Would also like to find a good place to ride that I could get to with an RV and trailer.

If one was to camp on the east side of Sherman Pass would there be room for an RV pulling a 4 place trailer to park and most important turn around?

The acess from 395 is shorter than the Isabella side, depending on where you're coming from, but like Don said the gate gets "mysteriously" locked occasionally. I got bit on this last year after the drive up and finding it locked, and not enough coverage to get around. Snow coverage can be iffy at times there too, even when the Isabella side is loaded.
Travis---We have a loose-knit group down here that rides up there pretty often, look for a 'South area' thread as the season nears, maybe we can hook up some people if you're out that way.

I will be following the South area thread and look forward to hooking up with other south area riders this winter for some great riding!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks for all the info!

Sounds like the gate could be a pain. I rode Mammoth last year which was nice but would like to find something a little closer to the Palm Springs area for quick trips.

Would also like to find a good place to ride that I could get to with an RV and trailer.

If one was to camp on the east side of Sherman Pass would there be room for an RV pulling a 4 place trailer to park and most important turn around?

Officially by law Caltrans / park ranger / Sherriff are suppose to coordinate to make sure there is a turn around at a road closed area.

Now on the west side of Sherman they "close" the road depending on snow elevation and place the sign on the road just after the place to turn around.

On the west side we camp on the road so at least one lane is open. Plus we make sure there is adequate "room" for vehicles and trailers to turn around BUT non overnight riders park EVERYWHERE.

I have driven by the "east" Sherman gate but not in the winter time so maybe someone can answer where to park because there "seems" during the summer you would need to park further away from the gate since the road is only 2 lanes there.

As told by me from the people in charge at the National Park ... not the Sheriff or Caltrans. "Park on the side of the road away from the turn around best you can so other vehicles pullin trailers can get by your parked rig".

General talk no pics of Sherman

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43854

Talk and Pics of Sherman

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86535&page=7

Last edited:
G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
Thanks for all the info!

It's always a crap-shoot on the parking. Depends on the snow level as to where they stop plowing.

West side (from Isabella)- they try their best to keep it plowed to the main staging area. It's a wide turnout, with an information kiosk, port-a-pottie, and where the FS keeps the groomer. If the snow is fresh the road can be a challenge for a 2WD, but lots of room to turn and park. We've camped there overnight a bunch of times. Usually get there around 8am and get pick of the litter, most people more local get there 9-10am.

East side (from 395)- good wide area to stage and turn, about 1/4 - 1/2mile below the gate. Problem I had was I couldn't see the gate, unloaded and rode the 1/4 mile around the bend only to come to the gate and find it locked. Rode back and loaded and went home.

Both routes have steep, narrow roads. Good idea is do a day trip towing with a pick-up first. Then have a better idea of things before attempting an RV trip. Too many variables... snow condition, vehicle dependability, person's snow driving experiance, tire chains.. etc... All part of the adventure!!

just my 2 cents :beer;

It's always a crap-shoot on the parking. Depends on the snow level as to where they stop plowing.

West side (from Isabella)- they try their best to keep it plowed to the main staging area. It's a wide turnout, with an information kiosk, port-a-pottie, and where the FS keeps the groomer. If the snow is fresh the road can be a challenge for a 2WD, but lots of room to turn and park. We've camped there overnight a bunch of times. Usually get there around 8am and get pick of the litter, most people more local get there 9-10am.

East side (from 395)- good wide area to stage and turn, about 1/4 - 1/2mile below the gate. Problem I had was I couldn't see the gate, unloaded and rode the 1/4 mile around the bend only to come to the gate and find it locked. Rode back and loaded and went home.

Both routes have steep, narrow roads. Good idea is do a day trip towing with a pick-up first. Then have a better idea of things before attempting an RV trip. Too many variables... snow condition, vehicle dependability, person's snow driving experiance, tire chains.. etc... All part of the adventure!!

just my 2 cents :beer;

Adventure is good but the more I think about an rv it might be a little more of an adventure than I am interested in. I have a 4x4 truck and an enclosed trailer and plan on mostly day trips but thought a cheep rv might work good for overnight trips.

I will probably look into renting a cabin for family trips and install a heater in the trailer for quick overnight trips.

Thanks again for all the info guys :beer;

Is it snowing yet?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Adventure is good but the more I think about an rv it might be a little more of an adventure than I am interested in. I have a 4x4 truck and an enclosed trailer and plan on mostly day trips but thought a cheep rv might work good for overnight trips.

I will probably look into renting a cabin for family trips and install a heater in the trailer for quick overnight trips.

Thanks again for all the info guys :beer;

Is it snowing yet?

On the Kern river side you can rent a cabin (one room with bathroom) that sleeps 8 people for $140 a night. It is about 2 miles from Sherman Pass Road. On the Kern side you typically drive 10-15 miles up Sherman to get to the trail head. Takes abot 30 minutes from the cabin. From Kernville to the trail head takes about 1.5 hours. There are no stores/gas stations past Kernville.

A hotel room for half on the Kern river but it is another 10-15 miles away.

In Mammoth it is at least twice that amount:eek: for lodging BUT you can hook up a RV at Mammoth RV for $50 a night with cable TV. Trail head is across the street.

The poor man recreation up near Mammoth is June lake. Prices are comparable to Kernville.

Mammoth has 100 times more riding area than Sherman with 100's more riders on the trail. Plus the Sherman park rangers are very nice ... the Mammoth park ranger's get complaints everyday about those polluting sledders. On the way to Mammoth every town is a speed trap.

For me a Mammoth trip ends ups in Bishop for the night before and then the day in Mammoth. Hotel rooms in Bishop go for $50 a night.

For me a Mammoth trip ends ups in Bishop for the night before and then the day in Mammoth. Hotel rooms in Bishop go for $50 a night.

The one trip I made the end of last season was to Mammoth and like you I stayed in Bishop the night before which worked out good. Had a great time on the many miles of trails along with a little off trail riding and would love to do it again with more snow.

Premium Features