• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need Help setting up an SS440 for Colorado

Z
Feb 10, 2008
I picked up an immaculate 1985 SS440 from Wisconsin. Great starter for my daughter and she loves riding it. But I can not seem to get anyone to set up the carb and likley clutching for Colorado. Anyone have any experience with this? It runs but has no power, lift up the track and get it rotating and away she can go but still is not the SS440 I remember as a kid with no power. Compression etc all looks great. If anyone can help or direct me the the friend of a friend with knowledge please let me know.

Thanks,

Kyle

S
Nov 29, 2007
Does this sled have the stock Yamaha YPZ clutch or the Comet 102C? We ran a couple of these sleds for the kids once they were 10 & 11 and they worked great. Ran Comet 102C with their altitude recommendation of square wire yellow spring and F-2 weights. The jetting was 130 main and 90 pilot. Geared them down just like our Phazers to 15/31. Worked great for us running 3000 to 7500 ft. This was also an awesome grass drag setup. My nephew won the D Stock season title in WA State with this setup back in '82 or '83.

s-a

Z
Feb 10, 2008
Thanks...

We put a spring in the stock clutch from a newer Phazer and now the clutch engages at about 4500 rpm... much much better. A little bigger pilot jet and she does fine for an 11 year old at 10,000 ft. Now if I can just keep her out of the snowbanks were good. Thanks for all the feedback.

B
Apr 3, 2008
Billings Mt.
ss440

I have a Limpex 1.5 Bighorn track, Twin 36 Mik. carbs, Sno jet suspension, comet 102. I also use the 1.25 belt. Works perty good esp in deep snow. Alot of work but it became a challenge to finish. The biggest imp. was the carbs.

Z
Feb 10, 2008
Update SS440

I have the sled at Larry's (German Sled Team) now and he is installing the new carb sounds like the fix to my jetting issues. Let it SNOW!

B
Apr 3, 2008
Billings Mt.
The twin carb set up and the snojet suspension made the Super sinker into a good deep snow sled. It still is fun to get some hot dog stuck and then drive a circle around him. Kimpex 1.5 or a 2 inch track. Any ? pm me.

I
Dec 10, 2008
Zemlak

Bring that sled to Craig, the second week in Feb for the vintage snowmobile show and ride on sunday. Great fun for the family and plenty of old yamaha guys around to help you with that SS.

If it's not too late, my first step on the carbs would have been to replace the needseats.

Good luck.

SRXtail.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features