• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche Discussion's

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
Avalanche/Snow Pack Discussion's in General.....

I've recently taken an Avalanche course and find my already keen fascination with the Snow and the Pack to have taken a new turn in a quest for more knowledge and understanding....

First off I would like to thank Eric W. and Lori from www.zacstracs.com for putting on an outstanding course!!! I've always just lived by my gutt in relation to the weather systems.... I live in the heart of my riding area..... So with new found sense's and tools I hope to make more calculated decisions than before.....

No more living by... " It's never slid here/there before " and/or It feels good I'm going for it...... No doubt these will still play a major role in my formulae .... But I will be now adding new variables to the equation......

After the course I was keen to look at the snow pack in my yard in relation to the information at [URL="http://www.avalanche.ca"]http://www.avalanche.ca[/URL] (Kootenay Bourndry) and the (Persistant Weak Layers Report) and was amazed at what the snow pack told me in relation to the report.... even at my elevation it is bang on.... Like the growth rings of a tree.....

Well it just dumped a foot or more since I did this a few day's ago... and now it's raining in my yard is what prompted me to post this.......

I found the Audio of significant importance since I don't have the proper snow analysis tools yet.....

What do you think??

http://media.putfile.com/Layers-at--home-in-Febuary

Last edited:
E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Great post Rideguy. I too can't say enough about Lori at Zac's Tracs. She knows her business, takes it seriously, and makes it fun to learn.

I thought I had a pretty good understanding of weather, snow layers/makeup, terrain, and beacon operation/recovery procedures. What I found out was I knew just enough to be dangerous to my group and myself. In short, my confidence was based on false levels of understanding and lack of actaul circumstances and training. I have never skimped on having the best safety/survival gear I can find, but that is only half of the equation.

One of the quickest and most beneficial drills that Lori showed us was having 1 beacon set to transmit or send sitting on a pack in an open area. Everyone else set theirs to receive or search. Standing shoulder to shoulder, we began taking steps backward to see just how far away from the sending beacon each of us could get and still have a good signal. This little drill found that of 9 people present, 3 had bad or poorly operating beacons. This was a real eye opener. Lori also suggested that 1 person sit at the trail head with their beacon on search and make sure they get a good signal from each person riding by just to insure that all beacons are on.

This is a simple life saver. There was so much good information and overlooked common sense in the course. I will never again let my ego or self confidence allow me to feel comforatable riding avalanche terrain in the absense of true education and training.

If you or your group ride the steep & deep and haven't had this course, you really should. Thanks again Rideguy for taking the message beyond the class. Ride safe everyone. EW

Last edited:
B
Dec 31, 2007
I was in the Zac's course in Calgary/Corbin a couple weeks ago as well. Best money I've spent in a long time. My riding group has had the benifit of having a few guys who have done advanced Avy courses guiding, and teaching us. They are the same guys that demanded that the rest of us take a course (smart guys eh Lori.) I learned that as a group we have been fairly smart, but I learned much more about why. Beacon practice was a big eye opener, and with some help from the instructors I feel much better about my ability use it..Though the goal is to never need it.

I also watched one of the worst displays of Avy ignorance ever at Gorman Lake on Sunday. This group was high marking 4 at a time on a nasty slope with guys getting stuck, and other guys sitting right in the runout path watching. All with low visability, and a high Avy rating????

sled.man

Premium Member
Dec 8, 2007
lynnwood washington
I also watched one of the worst displays of Avy ignorance ever at Gorman Lake on Sund

These are probably the last guys that will ever take a class, but the ones that need it the most. They wont get it until something terrible happens in their group. You can only teach those willing to learn. Ignorance is deadly.

B
Dec 31, 2007
The good thing is awarness is getting better in the sledding comunity, and if all the people that take a course spread the word hopfully we can see fewer accidents and better results when there is one.

The best part about doing a avy course with a sled specific company like Zac's is that they dont try to tell you not to go into Avy terrain, or even not to high mark etc. They just try to teach you what to be aware of and what not to do when your in that terrain.

Premium Features