• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RE vrs Gould area ?

CROSSFIREMAN

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
iowa
been going to the snowies for last 10 years,need a change of scenery,just curious what type of riding or topo differences each area has to offer. Group of 6 staying in walden first week of march, group likes to ride most anything not much of a high marking bunch though. any comments on these areas or anywhere else would be appreciated thanks

T

Toddstud2003

Nov 27, 2007
Denver,Colorado
Rabbit Ears/ Buffalo Pass

Personally for me Buffalo pass/Rabbit Ears Is the greatest for deep snow powder riding. if your staying in walden. Then Buffalo pass is the place to go. It is only about 20 miles from walden. Rabbit ears is about 40-45 miles. Either way you can't go wrong. Gould is more trail riding i think. Just my opinion. You waste a tank of gas in about 30 miles at buffalo/rabbit ears easy.
Have fun guys

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I'd go the Buff Pass route too. I have ridden Gould twice and wasn't impressed. I know that there is some challenging riding up there, you just have to know where you are. Gould, IMO, is more remote than Buff Pass and you won't have cell service. I can get service on Buff. That is enough to add piece of mind as far as safety is concerned.

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Gould is more up and back riding .. that is, you go up one valley, play it out, come down and over to the next valley, etc.. Not much boondocking from one drainage to the next because it's too steep or you hit RMNP/NeverSummerWilderness. So, you end up riding a lot of trail to get around. But .. if you know where you're going, there are little slices of heaven to be had (American Lakes being one of the more popular).

Buffalo is easier to get around IMO. With big open meadows and a gully or few. Typical RE stuff, lots of boondocking with not much elevation change.

Snow is better at RE/Buffalo right now than Gould ....

Last edited:

CROSSFIREMAN

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
iowa
thanks for the replies, re/buff sounds great i assume we need to carry as much fuel as possible no available services in area? does gould have any services in the area like there is on west side of the snowies?

T

Toddstud2003

Nov 27, 2007
Denver,Colorado
Yes, you are correct there are NO services in the Buffalo pass area. You will burn alot of gas quick. There is a place to eat along hwy 14 by Gould.

M
Jan 25, 2008
Colorado
Gould is NO GOOD RIDING AT ALL! STAY AWAY! ;)

(Actually its really nice. Lots of little hidey holes off the groomed trails.
But it is mostly up and back or circle the trails to find the secret meadows. No too much for hills. Lots of places to get stuck though. There can be good riding in Jack Park area, but watch for AVYS! The Drifters Cafe has good eats beer and gas, the KOA also has gas.)

CROSSFIREMAN

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
iowa
where is the jack park area? near gould or near cameron pass. i have topo downloaded on gps but can not find this area, i can not find something if it is staring me in the face, like to know where this area is, we would avoid this region if avy danger is high, taking mike duffys avy class next week(safety first)

M
Jan 25, 2008
Colorado
From Gould, take the Owl Mtn groomed trail south and head toward Calamity Pass & Teller City.
Before Teller City, there is a fork in the trail.
Right - Teller City / Left -Jack Creek & Park & Baker Pass

A few miles the groomed trail ends, but you should be able to see sled tracks that head into JP.

I attached the area trail maps for ya!

northparktop1.jpg

northparkbottom2.jpg

M
Jan 25, 2008
Colorado
I talked to a guy I know who rode up there on Saturday. The trail to Jack Creek/Park had 3-4 avs that went across the trail. The had to go thru the trees below the toe of the avys to keep going.

Premium Features