• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

B.C. sledder killed in avy. lets be careful

sled.man

Premium Member
Dec 8, 2007
lynnwood washington
B.C. snowmobiling victim caught in avalanche was involved in 'high-marking�

February 2, 2008 - 13:46

THE CANADIAN PRESS

ELKFORD, B.C. - A young man who died after being caught in an avalanche while snowmobiling was the 12th fatality so far this year in British Columbia and Alberta, a spokesman for the Canadian Avalanche Centre said Saturday.

There have been an average of 13 deaths from avalanches in Canada over the past 10 years, said Cam Campbell, the centre's avalanche forecaster in Revelstoke.

Continued Below
Click here to find out more!

The 23-year-old man, whose name has not been released by Elk Valley RCMP, was engaged in a popular snowmobile pursuit known as "high marking," which essentially is hill climbing, said Campbell.

"It is climbing to the top of a hill, making it to the top and coming back down," said Campbell.

But while high-marking is popular, the president of the Fernie Snowmobile Association, Paul Kramer, said it's risky given the treacherous avalanche conditions that exist throughout Western Canada.

The victim was riding in a bowl known locally as Tundra and triggered the avalanche on himself at about 3:30 p.m. Friday, said the RCMP in this southeastern B.C. community.

He was wearing a transceiver and rescuers located him within minutes, but they struggled to recover him because he was under about two metres of snow.

A helicopter was used to finally extricate him and he was taken to the Elkford Medical Clinic. He was pronounced dead at about 6 p.m.

Campbell said avalanche conditions in Western Canada are particularly dangerous now.

"There is a considerable avalanche danger for all our regions in the province," he said.

Kramer said the huge snowpack and unstable conditions that exist now mean high-marking "is not a good idea."

"The snow conditions are fantastic," said Kramer, as long as snowmobilers stick to fields and roads. "I can't wait to get out there but not high-marking."

Snowmobilers, he said, now carry shovels and probes and transceivers as "standard equipment" and some are now wearing air bags.

The air bags are meant to deploy in an avalanche, he said.

"They increase your body mass and rather than the snow dragging you under, you're more likely to stay on top."

Mar 25, 2004
elkford
that is sad news. i know the area its one of my favorite spots but this year i have stayed out as it has a lot of terrain traps and steep slopes. my thoughts are with his family and friends

Premium Features