• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gore Pass vs. Rabbit Ears

D

doorock

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
What is the comparison of riding between these two? I have not ridden either yet but will be at one of them on Sunday.

Thanks

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I live in Kremmling and while Gore Pass is close and hardly anybody goes up there I think that the snow isn't as deep as it is on the RE/Buff. There are a lot of fences that you have to be watchful of and plenty of big rocks. You can park at Gore and ride through Buff Park to get to the South side of RE Pass, but don't do it unless you carry an extra gas can. There are a lot of places to play in between.

RE Pass received almost 16" overnight and it's still snowing up there. Haven't ridden Gore this year but I know that it has 1/2 the snow of RE/Buff Pass, if that.

R
Nov 28, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
adding to what PJ said - I've ridden Gore extensively in the past. The trails used to get from place to place (and you will needs them...) almost never get any attention. Used to be they never saw a groomer. 100 is groomed occasionally from RE south to Latigo Ranch but you still will get a case of the kidney bleed between Latigo and Gore Pass.

You may shoot a PM to Zuma - that is his neck of the woods and knows it better than anybody.

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
Never ridden Gore but it doesn't appear to get the snow for my kind of boondockin. Yep, Zuma might know where the powderstashes are up there around Gore/Lynx pass. We never see him at RE anymore since he moved a few miles away from Lynx pass, so there must be some good stuff.... if ya know where to go....Snotel shows 36" at lynx pass, 37" at buff park, 72" at RE and 115" at Buff pass.

As for crowds, as soon as you leave the parking lot the crowds dwindle, three miles from the lot you see few, then get off the trail a 1/4 mile and it gets real peacful. RE is limited by parking, so your just never going to have that many people on the snow there.

With all this fresh snow it really cuts down on the off trail encounters too. Get in the lots before 10 and you should be fine for parking.

D
Nov 27, 2007
With all this fresh snow it really cuts down on the off trail encounters too
Might I suggest learning how to pin it Bushy. With that attitude you're gonna have a hard time keeping up with the shorty lol. Planning on being up there on the first bluebird day next week if you wanna try?

D

doorock

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Rabbits Ears/Buff Pass It Is

Thanks for the input! Now where is the best parking pulling a four place enclosed?

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
FWIW - the Lynx Pass Snotel station is in a big field on a south facing slope that sees a lot of sunshine. We ride up there at least once a year and usually find decent snow and few people. Definetly not as much snow as RE/BUF, but if you hit it right after a storm it's fun (like anywhere else).

I don't know what the elevation difference is, but Lynx seems to melt out a lot sooner/faster too, so that probably has something to do with the difference in the amount of snow on the ground as well.

R
Nov 26, 2007
I follow snotel numbers religiously. Having said that, my seat of the pants feeling usually is Gore = 1/2 the snow of RE; Re = 2/3 the snow of Buff.

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
Might I suggest learning how to pin it Bushy. With that attitude you're gonna have a hard time keeping up with the shorty lol. Planning on being up there on the first bluebird day next week if you wanna try?

Should be sunny the next day or so. I'll be here until Monday waiting (lounging really) for that schoolin my friend. lol

D
Nov 27, 2007
Looks like I should have came up today. I thought they were say it was going to be nasty and I'm sort of tired of riding in flat light. Looks sunny up there a so I don't know what forecasters were thinking. Oh well I'll catch you next time Bushy.

Zuma

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2003
Stagecoach, Summit County, CO
Never ridden Gore but it doesn't appear to get the snow for my kind of boondockin. Yep, Zuma might know where the powderstashes are up there around Gore/Lynx pass. We never see him at RE anymore since he moved a few miles away from Lynx pass, so there must be some good stuff.... if ya know where to go....Snotel shows 36" at lynx pass, 37" at buff park, 72" at RE and 115" at Buff pass.

As for crowds, as soon as you leave the parking lot the crowds dwindle, three miles from the lot you see few, then get off the trail a 1/4 mile and it gets real peacful. RE is limited by parking, so your just never going to have that many people on the snow there.

With all this fresh snow it really cuts down on the off trail encounters too. Get in the lots before 10 and you should be fine for parking.

Haha, Yeah it's hard to motivate to trailer anywhere when you can pull and go from your front door! It's been good up there. To me once you have good coverage, riding on a 40" base or 80" base is the same thing, powder is powder as long as it's untracked!

Premium Features