• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

You Really missed it!

T
Dec 7, 2007
We sledded the southern portion of the trail system this weekend and had a blast. Saturday the trails were great and off trail there was 3' of powder in places. Saturday night we did a night ride led by a GFP ranger who is our club VP. Did some great boondocking and the night sky was spectacular. We had a steak and shrimp dinner at Trailshead that was very good. We stayed the night at Mallo motel for $52. Nice rooms, a sitting room with satelite TV and wireless internet, a commercial kitchen for large groups and standard kitchen where we made omlets on Sunday. There was more traffic up north.Sunday went to Deerfield Lake for the Radar run sponsored by the Rapid City Club. I feel like I shouldn't let this secret out but all I can say is You Reeeeally missed it.

J
Nov 29, 2007
I was also out in the hills last weekend. The groomers are doing an awesome job trails were very smooth both sat and sun. The off trail left a lot to be desired they had 2-3 feet but no base and lots of stumps and rocks.The weather was a litlle warm snow was soft. Gonna make a good base if we can get some more soon.
:D:D:D:D

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Hello:

The reality of the Black Hills is that it is just a nice place to ride. The cost is reasonable, the people are nice, the scenery is great and the trails are some of very best in the US. People say "well there is no base" or "off trail isn't too good". I rode yesterday and I will ride today. Riding on 2-3' off trail and taking it easy. The snow underneath is relatively firm but there are always hazzards. Anyone who thinks they can go 40-50 MPH accross Black Hills meadows is asking for a repair bill. Rode yesterday and will today in untrodden snow because it is fun to look for it sometimes. Doing a lot of people watching and meeting some new folks. If you set around waiting for the perfect conditions you will rarely go out. Me ..I bought my sled to use. So maybe you missed a weekend here or there but don't miss the whole season. Around here it is half over.

C

crapchaser800

Jan 28, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
I agree Firetrail. Me and a buddy are leaving about 3 am sunday morning for the Hills. We always have a good time and find decent snow. And yeah, I spend a lof of time in the spring and fall hunting out there to know that "speed kills". Once you see the ground without snow, it's a wonder more sleds don't get trashed. But take it easy, and enjoy the Hills for what they are. More often than not, I think guys think they are going to find Revy type conditions in the Hills, then get disappointed every time. My hats off to the GFP crews out there and everyone who makes it a good time!

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
Still good snow out there. The only difference between this weekend and the last 2 is that you have to look a little harder. Snow settled quite a bit over the week but at least it is a lot easier to see stumps. Found good snow in Rattlesnake Canyon and Park Spring Meadows.

P
fun

You can't overlook what else there is to do on the trip.... I always here about well if you got to this place its awesome riding but there isn't anything to do but ride!! the nightlife sucks!! for me going on a trip with the buds is about sledding, having a great time doing it and then haveing a great time when your done.. in the hills you have DEADWOOD!!! what else can I say. you can see some of the most beautiful scenery the U.S. has to offer all day, play around in some good powder sometimes, ride groomed trails that rival or beat any other place you can snowmobile, and then at night go and have a great time with your friends at silverados buffet or the historic # 10 Saloon. I just think that for the money you can't pick a better place to spend time with friends, ride sled and just have a great all around trip.. after all for most of us isn't the trip about making memories and haveing a great time because you get to be away from the stress of everyday life. In the hills you get to do it all. nuff said!

M
Nov 27, 2007
bullseye

I couldn't agree more with firetrail and prayinforsnow. Being 5 hours away I am always watching and ready to bolt in a day's time and have always found good snow good people and spectacular views. Thanks for the call firetrail and when it dumps again I will be there. Think Snow!:D

J

jr_amsoil

Dec 6, 2007
bismarck, nd
went out there this weekend riding with a guy i just recently met. guy knows the hills very precise. we found a lot of meadows that were untouched 3-5 feet deep. you kind gotta be brave to get to them places but it was worth it. lots of riding through the trees and lots of bouncing off stumps and rocks. still great riding and trails were A+ condition.

Premium Features