• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding around Merritt B.C.???????

Dec 6, 2007
My GF's aunt lives just outside of Merritt about 10 mins and right off their driveway is a trail up the mountain where lots of guys drop sleds, but I have no idea what the riding is really like there, can anybody fill me in? They live west of town I believe......been there once but no sled with me that trip, but looking to head out in March possibly and have a free place to stay.

Thanks!

X

x-guy

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 12, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I heard Honeymoon up in that area is nice, but have never been there myself, also you have Thynne mountain, but its kinda tame in my opinion, but you can get from Thynne to Henning in the coquihalla which has some good riding, but the trail is hard to find you would be bettter off hauling up to the coq a short haul away, some nice riding up there, I am sure there is lots more I am not aware of.

Last edited:

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
If they are on the West side of town it may be Honeymoon or Styoma. Rode lots there in the past. Long trail in but well worth it. Small cabin @ Honeymoon which has hosted several great Spring Flings in the past. Decent alpine area with good hillclimbing and boondocking both. Grab your sled and wait for someone to come by........tag along and have a great day.
Enjoy
RS

Dec 6, 2007
Any avy warning for this area? I know it'll be awhile before I go out, but still wanted to know what the snow started like there. Seems a bit scary this year with all the problems.

H
Nov 26, 2007
Merritt, BC
Ya thats Honeymoon for sure. Great anytime the weather is clear, spring is the best by far, sux if it clouds in as its all alpine. about 35k to the cabin from where you drop the sleds (9k) You can play all around the main peak.

Dec 6, 2007
Would it be the kind of place you can hit up by yourself if it falls that way? I know riding alone isn't smart, but would be some week-days in there that it might be just me.

H
Nov 26, 2007
Merritt, BC
if you don't know the area don't go solo!! its a huge area and if it socks in your SOL getting out of there if you don't know the area. There is avy danger there - 3 yrs ago guy i know got caught in one, no beacon. guys searched everywhere to no avail and had given up when one last guy went up and found a finger sticking out of the snow. Needless to say wife bought him the works for avy gear the next day!
For avy info use avalanche.ca and select south coast region and adjust accordinly.
Lots of guys go up there so shouldn't have any issues finding someone. I'm right in town and have a flexible work schedule....

Dec 6, 2007
if you don't know the area don't go solo!! its a huge area and if it socks in your SOL getting out of there if you don't know the area. There is avy danger there - 3 yrs ago guy i know got caught in one, no beacon. guys searched everywhere to no avail and had given up when one last guy went up and found a finger sticking out of the snow. Needless to say wife bought him the works for avy gear the next day!
For avy info use avalanche.ca and select south coast region and adjust accordinly.
Lots of guys go up there so shouldn't have any issues finding someone. I'm right in town and have a flexible work schedule....

Thanks, appreciate all the help! I do have all my gear, and a gps as well, but your very right in riding solo in an unknown area.

J
Jan 30, 2008
good spots off the coq

yup theres gold in them there hills . pm me and ill shoot ya some spots . what gps u use ? and theres good advice this thread . dont go alone its endless in there and the weather changes fast and dramatically. oh and as for avy risk well at the moment its closed due to extreme risk . somthing like 50cm in 6 hours . wow

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2007
I use a garmin 60 CSX, but haven't really played with it at all yet, as I just got it after new years. Our plans are for late march now it seems, so I hope everything is cleared up out there when we head out. Doo-it I will PM ya closer to the date, and Husky I may take you up on that offer if nobody come with.

S

Shred Master

Mar 14, 2008
The honeymoon is probably my favourite place to ride...well that and 10k in the merritt area. as for avys on the day before the merritt snowmobile club had a big event up there my 14 year old brother was on his 900 rmk (thats right i like to brag on that one ) was taking to the on fairly big hill southeast of the cabin and the top layer slid off it was only about 2 or 3 inches but this weekend merritt i heard is getin some snow so there might be a fair bit of pow up there I hope

D
Mar 16, 2008
Merritt, BC
If they are on the West side of town it may be Honeymoon or Styoma. Rode lots there in the past. Long trail in but well worth it. Small cabin @ Honeymoon which has hosted several great Spring Flings in the past. Decent alpine area with good hillclimbing and boondocking both. Grab your sled and wait for someone to come by........tag along and have a great day.
Enjoy
RS
I am new to the Merritt area so I have a few newby questions.

1. Where is the staging area and how do you get there to access Honeymoon & Styoma?
2. After unloaded which direction do you head?
3. How late in the season do you predict riding in these areas this year?

Dec 6, 2007
I'm riding up there the 5th to the 7th of April, so if anyone else can make it to show a rookie around it would be great. I am riding Honeymoon as Huskey as so helpfully pointed out and given me some great tips for the area. Can't wait...here in southern MB were down to bare fields and dirt trails.

Premium Features