• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch installation and removal for dummies

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I haven't seen this book, so I guess the next best thing will be a thread about it.

Anyways, can somone please explain to me, exactly how I go about doing the following. I've done this only once before, and I have the general idea, but I wanna make sure I'm doing this right.

Primary clutch removal:

I have the clutch puller I need, but my question is, can somone just go over this with me?

Do I _need_ an impact driver to take the clutch bolt off? It shouldn't be torqued to more than 80 pounds, I'm guessing a a 1/2" flex handle will be enough for this?

After I get the clutch bolt off, how do I "hydrolock" the clutch off? Do you still need to heat the clutch up a little bit with a torch using this method?

Also what is the best way for holding the clutch in place while getting the bolt off? A block of wood, or something else that's rigid but relativley soft?

Drive clutch installation:

The threads will have loctite on them, how do I go about cleaning this up? Do I -need- a reamer for this?

Driven clutch instalation:

I got this off, but I screwed up and dropped all the washers off the jackshaft while I was putting it back on. What methods do you all do to get these spaced right? Meaning, are there supposed to be washers spacing the clutch from the jack shaft, etc? I'm guessing you just use the clutch alignment tool to kinda guide you on this?

I guess I'd just like somone whose done this a lot to just explain the whole thing to me so I can absorb some info on it haha ...

I knew I shouldda gone to WyoTech :(

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Primary clutch removal:

I have the clutch puller I need, but my question is, can somone just go over this with me?

Do I _need_ an impact driver to take the clutch bolt off? It shouldn't be torqued to more than 80 pounds, I'm guessing a a 1/2" flex handle will be enough for this?

Some will say use an impact driver - some will say not. I personally don't but know guys that do, its up to you. Should be able to come off with a 1/2" breaker bar easily.
After I get the clutch bolt off, how do I "hydrolock" the clutch off? Do you still need to heat the clutch up a little bit with a torch using this method?

Also what is the best way for holding the clutch in place while getting the bolt off? A block of wood, or something else that's rigid but relativley soft?

Hydrolocking the clutch off - tip sled on side, put a couple drops of water into the hole and thread the puller in. I wouldn't recommend heating the clutch unless it won't come off. Be careful about the bearing seals behind the clutch and the bushings in the clutch if heating. Recommended to use never seize etc on the puller.

Best way to hold the clutch is a clutch holding tool. Let me know if the link doesn't work. Something soft (wood, etc) in a strong location is what is recommended if you don't have the proper tool. don't pry against clutch.
http://www.royaldistributing.com/ShoppingCart/MiddleRedirect.aspx?page=Snow2008%2F135.html

Clean up of loctite - use a rag to wipe it out, or small round tip bristle brush (like one used for cleaning lab test tubes), run the bolt in and out by hand to help loosen it - use a wire brush on the bolt, if it is really bad you could chase the threads with a tap and die - this would be a last resort though.

Use the clutch alignment tool to get the backspacing on the secondary washers right - or call dealer and ask what the factory specs are.

Just my opinion.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
They don't have a link for an Arctic Cat clutch holding tool on that royaldistributing link ... :(

Premium Features