• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

why is my 2007 M acting like it has a mind of its own?

S
Dec 8, 2007
Saskatchewan
here is the situation:

my 2007 M6 runs good but sometimes:

1.when im cruising along and i pin it it will only go to 6500 rpm,i then lay off the throttle a little,then pin it again and i get full throttle like its suppose to .

2.i have the sled pinned and it will go down to 6500 while i have the throttle all the way in

3.some days the sled will run really poorly,and use almost twice as much fuel,it starts and idles good but it just has no life to it and in some situations (like up a bank)it seems like not running good,has a missing sound

4.and the last time i drove it on thursday it ran perfect for the first 80 miles but the last 5 were horrible,i did the same things as situation 1 and 2 and then it just bogged down badly,i almost came to a stop with the throttle pinned ,i shut it off,let it cool for 5 minutes and went home and it only acted the same as in situation 2.

5.and on that same day thursday while i was driving the throttle didnt have any pressure in it for a second,i let go of the throttle,it revved up ,then went back to idle,i continued on my way just as if nothing had happend

what the beep is going on,the sled has a mind of its own,some days its horrible and the next it runs like new,compression is good,everything appears to be good but im no mechanic,there are no error codes,and i just took out my powervalves and one is noticably harder to pull then the other one,not impossible but there is a little bit of strain on my finger tips from pulling on it compared to the other one.

what is wrong,any ideas ?anyone else have a problem like this?i might take that valve to cat tomorrow to see if something is kinked or how could i check,it looks all good but its probably in the cable somewhere.

don't the power vavles kick in around 6500 rpm?maybe the motor has trouble pulling the cables but these strange occurances only happen somedays on others not.

sorry for my long post,hope this is specific enough to diagnose my problem,any ideas or solutions,anything?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I assume that you are not getting any failure codes flashing on your tach? First place I would look is my power valves. The sled sould run a self test on the power valves. Not sure if it does it on start up or at a certian RPM. someone on here should know. Check them out, clean them check the cable length, They need to be adjusted every once in a while or they just wont work.

S
Dec 8, 2007
Saskatchewan
the right valve seems good but the left one has resistence to it when i pull it,it goes but it feels like it is getting stuck somewhere so it pulls harder,not sure what is wrong but thats what it feels like.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
if you can open the valve with your hand then the servo motor should open it up. work it back and forth if its sticky some. might help to loosen it.... or take out the two bolts that hold each valve in and check them and wipe them off with brake cleaner and a rag if they are little gummy. if that doesnt work use a wire brush.

34mm for cables should be good length. but they must be equal or within 0.5mm of each other.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Sounds like you need to pull them and clean them. Its an easy job, should be done every few hundred miles.

S
Dec 8, 2007
Saskatchewan
i lubed up the powervalve cable and its a lot better now,vavles shouldn't be an issue anymore.anyother ideas,i was told it could be the pipe sensor and one person had the same problem on his M7,turned out it was spark plug caps,what do you guys think??

i was just out riding in this snowstorm here in saskatchewan and it sucks because the sled just has no life to it

btw,i cleaned the vavles at the beginning of the year,about 700 miles ago,i had them out last night and they are very clean,spottless and i use cat apv oil,no school today do to lack of interest,lol,no realy because of the storm

S
Dec 8, 2007
Saskatchewan
i just went riding again,it is sometimes idling at 1100rpm,and once it just died in the feild ,there was no pressure in the throttle,i shut it off and then when i started it it still ran like ****,any ideas out there,i no there are many smart people who have an opionion out there...

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
maybe you have a problem with TPS? i dont know... for an hour labour take it into the dealer and have them scan the electrical with their tools. usually if it runs ****ty a code or something comes up... maybe an ecu screwing up? i would hope not cause them aint cheap. $1200 or so.

Premium Features