• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

diesel trucks, whats everyone recomend?

B
I am thinking of trading in my wifes liberty and my 99 chevy 454 on either a 01-04 duramax or dodge. I pull a 20' toyhauler and it will be a daily driver. I can't stand getting 10mpg anymore, just seeing what you all recomend for towing in CO. I know dodge has great engines but weak transmissions and GM trucks have their issues too. All opinons will be appriciated.
Thanks all

1BIGCAT

Jan 15, 2008
Manitou Springs, Colorado
I have a 05 Cummins, traded my 01 Cummins in for it because I was worried about the tranny going out on it. The later models have better trannys if your worried about the tranny just get a manual. Chevy's are overpriced!

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I have a 05 Cummings, traded my 01 Cummings in for it because I was worried about the tranny going out on it. The later models have better trannys if your worried about the tranny just get a manual. Chevy's are overpriced!

It is Cummins not cummings.

D
Nov 28, 2007
Kamloops
I love my dodge... and I live in the mountains. The tranny has a bad rep. I had it rebuilt while it was still under warranty. Put in a guage package on any deisel and don't overheat your tranny! My buddy has a chev and its sweet too but sags alot more in the rear than mine does with the exact same sled decks. I would imagine the same for a trailer. The cummins pulls great and is rated for 600000kms. That's all I gotta say about that.

P
Dec 5, 2007
Billings
there are two types of diesel trucks........................................................
cummins & everything else

500k mile motor, and finally a decent tranny

W
Nov 27, 2007
missoula mt
I've had all three, currently own an 03 Duramax, I like things about them all and dislike things about them all. I would question whether you really need a diesel if a 20 foot toy hauler is the biggest thing you tow. Price of diesel fuel and the difference in mileage can be a wash. Longevity goes to the diesel loaded power is no question a diesel strength however normal daily driver I would look strongly at a gas with possibly a 4.10 rear end. As for which is better the cummins is probably the best longevity motor but it is still in a dodge truck. If you use the rig hard off-road the dodge is a better setup, if you mostly drive hiway the chev is a better choice. I would stay clear of the Fords they have had too many troubles with the 6.0L. Another thing to consider is if anything goes wrong with a diesel it's thousands to fix not hundreds. Just my .02 worth, I do love my duramax but my daily driver is a little S-15 Jimmy. Best of luck.

A
Dec 9, 2007
Edgeley, ND
comming from a certified diesel tech

I am a certified ford diesel tech, been raised around dodge and chevy all my life. if you want an 01-04 truck, go with a 03 early build or older ford, they have a 7.3 power stroke that is die hard, stay away from the chevy duramax in those years they had few problems but forgot to put power in the engine, as for the dodge, very reliable engine, 02 and later were loud, 03 and newer are common rail engines and quiet, as for trans problems, well i have a 99 with 4.10 gears, i pull in overdrive all the time and pull loads most 2500 trucks can't pull.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Meeker, Colorado
I am a certified ford diesel tech, been raised around dodge and chevy all my life. if you want an 01-04 truck, go with a 03 early build or older ford, they have a 7.3 power stroke that is die hard, stay away from the chevy duramax in those years they had few problems but forgot to put power in the engine, as for the dodge, very reliable engine, 02 and later were loud, 03 and newer are common rail engines and quiet, as for trans problems, well i have a 99 with 4.10 gears, i pull in overdrive all the time and pull loads most 2500 trucks can't pull.

Thats what i like to see a ford tech rollin in a cummins........i love the noise of my 01 but than again im 21 and dont care either:beer;

B
Thanks alot for all the advice. I think i'm leaning towards the dodge because they are a bit more reliable and cheaper. As for the price of gas compared to a daily driver diesel, you have a good point but, it's still cheaper to pay for one truck that can do it all than a POS jeep and a gas hog 454 that sits in the driveway 25 days out of the month.
Hope everyone had a good weekend. Keep the comments coming.

Rice built 2003 GMC Loaded crew dually with full banks, best truck I have ever owed. Would NOT trade it for anything except the new allison 6 sp!!!......Even my die hard DODGE and FORD guys appricate this truck....all long rides loaded up their trucks stay at home. Comfort comfort comfort ride..ride....ride.

If you live and drive in the city straight axles SUCK!!!

BASH AWAY I HAVE HAD"EM AND THEY SUCK.....DRIVING DOWN A CEMENT FREEWAY IS JUST LIKE AN OLD ROLLERCOASTER RIDE!!!!!!!!!!

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
I have an "04.5 dmax and love it for the ride and power. Not near the mileage as the cummins though...oh well, you can look better, ride better and get better economy. I'll take the trade off.

Premium Features