• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Flat "field riding" near Boise?

A
Jul 27, 2001
Meridian, ID
My son and I need to find somewhere to take my younger daughters out riding where they will not be intimidated and they can practice getting used to the basics of riding. I'm not interested in taking them on trails or meadows where there are going to be any other people. I also want it to be relatively flat and without landmines.

I was thinking maybe somewhere around Cascade or on the other side of the mountain in Council. I've also heard there is riding like that at Cat Creek. What about near Hilltop on the way to Idaho City? Any suggestions?

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Cat Creek is a good area as long as there is sun. I know that it has been a little wind blown over there this year and the snow is a little thin. Still a good place for beginners. You don't have to ride far and you can get away from people.

Other then that everything that I can think of has a trail ride to get to anything. Or at least get away from people.

A
Jul 27, 2001
Meridian, ID
The only way I've ever come to Prarie is from the backside of Anderson Ranch reservoir. Am I missing an easier way, or am I totally mixed up on where Prarie is?

If it is reasonably accessible, I'm there!

I

idaspud

Dec 22, 2007
Mtns of Idaho
was going to post earlier

I would recommend going to Mtn Home east on hiway 20 up onto Camas Prairie then take the turn off to the left toward Dixie. Out there a few miles are rolling hills with no trees and looks like lots of play areas. I haven't ridden out there but would be good for beginners. Spud.

P
Dec 14, 2007
prairie idaho
To get to Prairie, take Black's Creek/Kuna exit. Stay to the left all the way up. The highway District is plowing all the way. Lots of elk and deer along side of the road. If you need more info call the Y-stop at 868-3249

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
If this snow storm hits like they predict, I'd go up Hwy 20 towards Fairfield, and park at the snowmobile parking lot, five miles past the Pine turn off, or Park at the pine turn off. Both are great places for kids (just watch the fences and bulldozer trenches). There are land mines there, but the place is great for kids. Parts of it are very flat. If you head out away from the lots you probably won't see anyone.

There just are not many places that meet your requirements.

Don't go to hilltop, there's barely enough snow for kids on saucers.

Premium Features