• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how do we improve mccall???

D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
so we have the best snow in the country.

we now have good groomed trails.

we have great terrain.

we have plenty of room for more folks at most parking lots.

What can we do to improve???? Better maps is an idea we are working on.

Free beer for all tourists is an idea, but so far neither Coors nor Budweiser are stepping up.

Other ideas????

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
Good, but a map might also steer the idiot to that big hill ..... but you know Doug, as well as I do that there are going to still be poeple that will have to climb to granite lookout from twin lakes no matter what. Or the other hot spots that are just to tempting for the stupid at heart. A mortar blast here and there could maybe save an idiots life.

D
Jan 2, 2008
WA
so we have the best snow in the country.

we now have good groomed trails.

we have great terrain.

we have plenty of room for more folks at most parking lots.

What can we do to improve???? Better maps is an idea we are working on.

Free beer for all tourists is an idea, but so far neither Coors nor Budweiser are stepping up.

Other ideas????

I rode there for first time last saturday. Trails were incredible! Good maps would be nice with better marked trails. Got a bit lost a few times. Pretty perfect riding conditions. Cannot remember which hill we were on but with open water hole in opening that was near impossible to see until you were right on it should have been marked some way?

I saved GPS coordinates if needed

U
Dec 20, 2005
Boise, Idaho
Hot dog stand at Wong's. You know the kind, like home depot or costco. How about a warming hut. Maybe up fisher creek area. Keep up with the awesome grooming. One great year won't make up for the previous lame years. Keep up the great job Doug.... If you can get a hold of some bombs I would be the first to help set them off.

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Keep up the good work Doug...:) the trails have been great this year. Maps would be good with distance and possibly GPS info.

The only issues I've seen have been the rental companies leaving their trailers in the parking lots all winter and taking up parking. It would be nice to see them have a designated parking spot for their trailers, sleds and customers. I've seen close to 50 rental sleds and small cars parked every which way (sometimes in the turn arounds) taking up most of the lot. Not to mention the locals that live up near Warren leaving their vehicles parked in the middle of the lot and the snowplow not being able to get through.

D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
so i talked to the road department. they've got some spare dynomite left over from the 60's I can have.

where shoudl I set it off at?????

Home Depot. isn't that down in Bosie???? You bring hte hotdog stand to McCall, and I'll drop it off anywhere you want!!!!!

The warming hut is a GOOD one. We might have to do that somehow. I'll call the forest service next week.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Hate to say this, but the main reason I don't ride there as often is Hwy 55 or should I say the idiots on that road. Sorry.

Edit: Renamed Hwy 55 to Hwy 51, then changed my mind.

Last edited:
D

duchunter

Nov 26, 2007
Lynnwood WA
Hard to make it any better but if you could talk to the weather gods we would like to have a 18in of fresh snow every day starting on Feb 9 thru the 16th while we are there riding and if it is not to much trouble you could toss in the sun during the day:D:D:D:D

I

idaspud

Dec 22, 2007
Mtns of Idaho
remarks for Doug

We talked about the maps today with Doug and agree that there is much room to be improved with them. The maps maybe could be printed on newsprint and the local merchants could support that effort with adds on the back side. These would not be as durable but would be a lot cheaper to produce and hand out and be available in volume. This is done in other areas and with success. The GPS coodinates on the map is a great idea, again other areas have done that, and I like the topographic lines too, They help me when we go boondocking, we are behind on those items. The other item is the marking of the trails, other areas use numbers and the alphabet. Names don't mean much unless you are a local, I am and I don't know half of them too. What about numbers? What do you guys like? We, (Doug and locals) don't feel the alphabet is rememberable. The Mtn Bachelor area has numbers that circle the mountain with the lowest number at the outer rings and getting greater toward the mountain. That would be harder for us but we do have a mountain in the north end of the area at Brundage. I am just throwing out ideas, let us know what you like. The beer thing is Doug's idea, he can buy. I agree he is doing a great job of coordinating the grooming this year. We need another groomer now as we are working the two that we have that are operational full time as you can see on our grooming reports. They are travelling a lot at night from Donnelly all the way to the north end of the lake at Wallace in one night. It is very nice to be able to ride out to the play areas on smooth trails. Thanks. Kevin, Doug, and the groomer operators. They deserve a lot of credit. It is a very boring job, but we appreciate it. License your machines in 43A if you want nice groomed trails in the north end of Valley County, it does take lots of money to run these big machines. Daily grooming reports are on http://www.idahosnowbiz.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=923624&module_id=5290 or Becky at http://www.secesh.net/. Sorry to be so wordy. Idaspud.

Last edited:
D
Dec 23, 2007
Yakima WA
We have been going o McCall since 96 in fact our daughters name is McCall, if folks think your maps and and roads are bad try Yakima area, it has gotten better but not as good as McCall, I think Washington needs to visit Idaho for some lessons. I agree dont tell anyone about how good it is. But I also have a special place in my heart for McCall. Keep up the good work.

REDMAN

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2005
Dayton, Mn
Hi Doug. We were ther 2 years ago and stayed at Lake fork lodge you even came over for beer and advise for where yo ride, anyways the main drawback was trailering everywhere. Sure would be nice to leave the trailer at the lodge or hotel. The riding was awesome and we will be back. Keep up the good work.:beer;:beer;

D
Nov 29, 2007
McCall Idaho
great ideas, keep 'em coming!!!!!

In my mind, I have the following:

Map. I've got a pretty cool idea here. Should start happening in the next 2 weeks.
Signage. This involves the Forest Service, but is doable.
Hot Dog Stands. Sounds goofy, but there is a LOT of merit here. For instance, in my mind this has morfed into "need warming huts on the trails." this will not be trivial, and probably not this year, but my brain is churning.
I can't mark all the open water and shoot the chutes. Kinda stuck on this one.
trailering to ride. VERY valid comment, and a problem for us. I'm gonna keep my cards close on this one, as the real issue imo is perceptions in the city of mccall.

Finally, I hear we are too far from other places. I think this si an issue for many people. Let me ask this. What if we provided a shipping service for your snowmobiles???? For instance, making things up, February 10 2009 we will pick up sleds in minneapolis for delivery in francis wallace parking lot, Mccall. They will be returned February 25, 2009. you can fly, drive, or whatever.
gas will be sold at the parking lot at reasonable prices.
doug

Premium Features