• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spring Creek

S
Dec 22, 2007
Denver, CO
Where is Spring Creek? I've heard it's north of Silverthorne, near Green Mountain Reservoir. Is that right? Where can I get some more info (parking area, map, etc)?

Being from Denver, I'm always looking for closer areas to ride (compared to Rabbit Ears Pass, Vail Pass, Cameron Pass, etc). Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Matt

Last edited:
P
Jan 17, 2008
How is the snow and is the ridding good there?

When I was still a Captain for the Airlines every so often a flight attendant would come up and ask me what lake we were flying over because some passenger wanted to know. I would always tell them it is Clear Lake. Heck, I never knew what lake was down there and could have cared less. Your question reminded me of that because there are "several" Spring Creeks all over this state of Colorado. Which one are you talking about?

If you are talking Spring Creek to the West of Montrose it ain't worth a crap if you are an experienced rider. If you are a beginner then it might be a challenge and exciting. ? If you are talking Spring Creek up near Gunnison it could be extremely good and quite a challenge even for very experienced riders. Enjoy your ride wherever you end up. :)

S
Dec 22, 2007
Denver, CO
...there are "several" Spring Creeks all over this state of Colorado. Which one are you talking about?...

Yeah, that's part of the reason I asked where Spring Creek was...I know there's another Spring Creek near Downieville (on I-70, just west of Idaho Springs). I don't know if you can snowmobile up there, but it's a pretty good 4x4 trail during the non-winter months.

D

dragonpoo

Nov 28, 2007
centennial
For those of us who live on the front range the spring creek we are talking about is just north of green mountain res.its a great day trip location not as crowded as vail Ive been up there a couple of times this year snow was good yes not as good as re this area has some fun boon docking tree spacing is good for timber riding some rolling hills side hill Meadows no avy danger unless you get up top. all in all a fun place that I am still finding new areas to ride

alrevedup

Lifetime Membership
May 12, 2007
New Mexico
Its terrible, don't go there. Lots of rocks, trees and rangers.

Terrible! Its is so bad, that only I should be FORCED to ride there.:D

Seriously, I would not suggest going in through spring creek. There are 15 to 20 avalanche areas in that canyon. When I ride up that trail, I go like I am being chased by the Devil himself. Park at Taylor and ride in from there. Don't forget to get a bowl of chili at the general store (I hope they have it this year).:beer;

T

Toddstud2003

Nov 27, 2007
Denver,Colorado
Spring creek Location???

Ok , Can someone Pm me about the secret location of this Spring creek. I'm always looking for new riding areas. Please I won' tell!!

alrevedup

Lifetime Membership
May 12, 2007
New Mexico
I was told here once upon a time never to talk about Spring Creek!:cool:
Not the one by Taylor Res or Downieville either, the REAL Spring Creek.

Are speaking about the one in Martinez Town or the one in area 46 on the base or maybe the one up Jemez? There is also one near Ocala Florida.

D
Nov 27, 2007
Since people can't keep the stashes secret... Spring Creek is not a place most are going to like. It's on the side of a mountain and not a ton of meadows or boondocking. You can get into some hairy chit in a hurry if you start running down some draw. It's a few miles in on a non-groomed whooped out trail. It's not a large area. It borders Eagles Nest wilderness to the south and is not marked. Go very far south and you're in wilderness and they will take your sled if they catch you. If you like dropping big big cornices then it's a fun spot. Most people will have a lot more fun at RE or other larger areas with good boondocking.

Last edited:
S
Jan 14, 2008
colorado
Went up to spring creek on sat and there is about 2 miles of bumped out trail before you get to any good riding! Not alot of area to ride after you get to the top. We also started a small avy and the snow was wind blown pretty bad

Premium Features