• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lost Johnny and China basin

F

Fritz

Nov 28, 2007
Alberta
Could someone please tell me how to get to these areas? (Lost Johnny,China Basin,and Ten Lakes) We will be in Columbia Falls from Jan 26 to Feb 2 and would like to find some hillclimb areas. Thanks

Tom

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Tom,

You can go to our club's website and there is a link to the maps for these areas (either under news or links, can't remember). The link for our site is in my sig.

Driving directions.....Lost Johnny, go up to Hungry Horse, take the dam road (marked right hand turn uphill). You'll be parking on the other side of the dam. You can probably mapquest for exact directions from your location (or where you're staying).

China Basin....up the North Fork road. Not sure if you can still drive up the Big Creek road for parking, or if you have to park on the North Forth road itself. You can mapquest this too I believe.

Just be cautious. One can get turned around easily up in these places. There is no grooming, or signage other than for the road itself. Also check out the avy report, next one due Friday the 25th.

Stop at J&L Rentals to pick up maps, or at the Forest Service in Hungry Horse (before the turn to Hungry Horse Reservoir/Dam). The Forest Service also keeps some maps in the Survival Cabin up Canyon Creek (groomed system, and some off trail nice stuff).....14.7 miles from the parking lot. :)

Sandy

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Thanks for the info.

Tom

if you have googleearth, can give you a route into China Basin...both locations you are talking about are prone to avy danger (not that all western riding is easy cheesy) but these are known for being a little more technical rides...

send me a PM, adn I will shoot you a google earth path into China Basin...

Premium Features