• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch CC distance, where to start?

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Ok, when you put a new engine into a chassi and want to do a drop and roll at the same time, where do you start?

Thinking about CC for correct belt, position of the engine and then the jackshaft (wanna tuck that just inside the tunnel).

Sled in this case is 2001 RMK 500, engine will be a Ultra based big-bore. Probably done before, any thoughts??

Thanks.

R

RideCo

Nov 26, 2007
Ft. Collins, Co
Set motor in the chassis and open sheaves on the secondary. Use the clutch tool or a small block of wood or even a socket to keep the secondary sheaves spread. Try to have mounts/ holes centered so you have some room for adjustment. Grab a tape measure and see what center of primary to center of secondary measures. For initial measurement, you could probably eyeball this, but it is more accurate to mark the center line. This should get you a ballpark measurement (+/- a 1/4 inch in either direction - 1/2 inch total) then you can at least find a belt that should work.
Good luck. In the long run it may require some grinding on the motor plate holes to get everything right.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
I have the clutch tool and I know how to go about to fit it in there. But there are always details to be learned and I'd rather not re-discover any mistakes I might do.

Also wondering what CC to shoot for since it will afect what belts I can run.

RS

Premium Features