• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sunriver advice needed-where to ride?

W

Wayniac

Nov 26, 2007
sunny Seattle
Hello Oregon friends, My wife and I will be coming to Sunriver in mid Feb for a couple days of riding. I have been coming to Sunriver for years to go skiing at Bachelor, but this will be our first time bringing sleds. I remember passing some snow parks along the way from Sunriver to the ski resort. Which one would you recommend? We like variety; trails, boondocking, meadows, hills, etc.
I hear names like Edison and Dutchman but I can't remember which ones they are???

Thanks,

Wayne

B
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
I rode Tuesday at Paulina and Wednesday at Edison. I would recomend going to Paulina. Trail #2 has some great off trail riding and better trails than Batchelor. You can also eat at the lodge there if you want.

They had groomed some of the trails Wednesday at Edison. I rode the Quail Butte area.

Both areas had some fresh snow.:eek:

Wanoga snow park gets rode hard on the weekends.:(

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
Dutchman snowpark is dirrectly across from the lodge at Mt. Bachelor. Very limited parking. On epic snow days, it's great if you get there early. It has a variety of riding options. Stay away on the weekends. It also gets lot of other users besides snowmobilers, so plan on sharing the trails. And plan on getting off them quickly as they get banged up.

Wanoga and Edison are lower, and less crowded, and you can still access great area's. I prefer them over the better known dutchman.

Paulina is the place I prefer. Never a conflict with non sleders at Paulina at least for me. Same can't be said of Dutchman. The lodge is an easy road ride in, has great bacon burgers, and the groomer keeps it nice for the kids. If it's a blue sky day, the view cannot be beat from the top of paulina peak. It is possible to get back into the lodge without hitting trails too. Problem is we are about 6 feet down on snow so areas like roller coaster is a crap shoot unless you want to bang up your sled. Hell hole is still fun though. Park at 10 mile, as 6 mile is just a 4 mile trail ride to 10 at this point.

http://www.sunriverowners.org/05_departments/public_works/pw_frame.html

Use the above link for local snowfall, and you can drag the red dot on the map from bend, to sunriver, or bachelor, or where ever to get pinpoint snow forecasts.

You can also sled out of sunriver if you start on the forest service road that begins at the north owners storage lot. (off Imnaha drive) There is small fenced power station next to the railroad tracks and the road starts on the other side of that. Just don't ride the sleds in sunriver itself. Unless your gonna ride on the golf course, in which case, please call me so I can come watch. Call the Sun River Public works dept. and ask for Bonnie. She will get you hooked up with the code to the storage lot to park your trailer, then you can ride right out of the lot if you want a road ride at night or something different.

Three creeks out of sisters is also good. You can ride all the way to dutchman if your inclined. Sometimes there is a required watercrossing in the spring, but your fine now.

PM me. I'll give you my sunriver address, and set you up with maps of specific area's I'd suggest.

W

Wayniac

Nov 26, 2007
sunny Seattle
Thanks a lot for the info guys! Eludnu, I might be taking you up on the offer for the maps. I'm excited to try Paulina lake area too.

Wayne

Premium Features