• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need boondocking/powerline riding buddies Gunflint Trail

C
Jan 11, 2008
Hey, its my first winter up the trail and I am looking for some people to do some off trail riding with. With the snow conditions the way they are right now I am itching to do some real snowmobiling but don't know anyone else with a mountain sled or anyone willing or able to ride powerlines. Anyone interested???

M

MNSLEDNECK56308

Nov 21, 2007
Alex MN
Next weekend there should be about 20-30 of us up in the isabella area, all fireroad, ltv powerline, fun! Let me know if you are in the area! 3 or 4 different groups depending on what type of riding you want!

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Along this same idea does anyone have a map of the forest roads and such I can get ahold of. We are going up in the future and like to get off the trail/beaten path a bit (OK actually quite a bit)

Thanks.

C
Jan 11, 2008
map of forest roads

get yourself a superior national forest map when you head up. you can pick them up at any forest service ranger station such as in Grand Marais or Tofte. they also have them at some stores in the area. they have basically every road on the forest.

M

MNSLEDNECK56308

Nov 21, 2007
Alex MN
You will need at the very least of another foot to be able to run the LTV at more than 30 mph! It was bad last weekend, forest and logging roads rocked!

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
I'll be riding out of Beaver Bay over Pres. Weekend. Hoping for enough snow to get out and bust a little pow. Otherwise it's groomed trails and scratchers down for me.

Borderstaff

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
St. Paul MN
I had my scratchers down a week and a half ago up there. Stopped at the Trestle for a bite and someone in the lot said my sled was broken (06 M7) - explained what scratchers are - no problem. Went into the bar, not 2 minutes later someone comes in and asks about the broken M7 - explained scratchers again. Walking out of bar - 3 guys by sled and tell me something is wrong with rear suspension - explain concept one more time to puzzled looks. Note to self - pull springs up to avoid cutting into sledding time:face-icon-small-win!

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
Easy way to solve the problem of having people ask you what Sratchers Are!!!! Don't bother riding in the midwest!!!! What a joke again this year sure glad I don't plan any trips up north anymore. :mad::mad:

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
There are no powerlines or pipelines off the Gunflint.

Yes, down by Isabella but not up there. Lakes and logging roads and the trail that's about all you'll fine off the Gunflint.
Yes, we need some fresh, it's been a long time.

Owen

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
We did about 250 miles up there this last weekend. Rode out of Beaver Bay. It wasn't too bad for trail riding given the amount of people and how long it's been since there has been any fresh.

I only had one guy try to kill himslef telling me my scratchers were a broken part. After he about got ran over by my sister she simply looked at the guy and said "yep he knows, been that way all weekend." I wish I could of seen his face.

Premium Features