• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Phazer MTX mods suggestions....

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
Today marks a turning point in my life. I bought a four stroke! Almost bought the Nytro too, but that's next years project.

07 Phazer MTX 144. Put about 30 miles on it as a demo this weekend. Will be my sons (9 years old) primary sled. More importantly it will be a play sled for me when the powder isn't deep and the big boy sleds stay in the trailer. It will lengthen the season too when the big sleds loose the fun factor from being too easy.

So.......

Short of a turbo, what are the tricks of the trade type thread like the ones out there for the M7 on the old forum? Not looking to add power as a general rule, as we've got other options to ride, but looking to shave weight in any way possible, and improve what appears to be a great foundation. I see a ton of pages about adding turbos to four stroke sleds, but surely you folks are more imaginative then that aren't you?:face-icon-small-hap

Opps. Sorry. I forgot. I'm one of you now.

Example: Will I be the only one craving to take the forty + boggey wheels off, and REFLECTORS to shave weight, or do I have to stop thinking that way? (Sorry, just can't do that.) This may be harder then I thought.....

No more smelly clothes though. I can get used to that!

Help please....

Last edited:
S
Nov 29, 2007
You have probably noticed the stock rear suspension is way too soft even with the shock and spring on H. I hear Yamaha sell a little transfer block thing to stop it bottoming. I think it is pretty cheap. That would be my first mod to the sled.
Also loosing some weight from the machine can only help. We weighed a turbo Phazer at 618lbs (roughly 15lbs in turbo) compared to a stock Nytro at 620lbs. So they are not as light as they appear.
I rode a MTX Phazer all last season and loved it. I got a supercharged Nytro this season but am thinking about getting a Phazer maybe with a supercharger for spring riding and for friends to ride in the winter. For jumping and boondocking the Phazer is a blast. It is definetely not a great choice for a primary sled for an aggressive mountain adult but great for what it is.

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
I took off 14lbs just in yamaha crap on my old one. Remove the sway bar, doesnt really help much anyway, all the reflectors, tool thingy on the back, a few bogies, ok all but the rear idlers and put on scratchers, cut the lower piece of metal of the bumper, windshield and metal support. Put a different muffler on and and cover the hole in the tunnel and ditch the plastic fins by the seat and you will be way past 30 or so pounds. Lots of extra crap on these sleds that can be taken off, just depends on how serious you are about losing the weight.

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
I took off 14lbs just in yamaha crap on my old one. Remove the sway bar, doesnt really help much anyway, all the reflectors, tool thingy on the back, a few bogies, ok all but the rear idlers and put on scratchers, cut the lower piece of metal of the bumper, windshield and metal support. Put a different muffler on and and cover the hole in the tunnel and ditch the plastic fins by the seat and you will be way past 30 or so pounds. Lots of extra crap on these sleds that can be taken off, just depends on how serious you are about losing the weight.

Hyflyr:

I like you already!!! I planned on taking it into my shop tomorrow and firing up the plasma cutter to take off alot of Yamaha "crap" as you so delicately put it. I could not agree more. If your plain speak is an indicator of others on the four stroke side, please whack me for being so slow to convert.

I fall on the extreme side when it comes to carving off weight. I'd rather have less weight then more power. Both are good though.

What's with the hole in the tunnel anyway?

S
Nov 29, 2007
No I am not one of your 2-stroke buddies. I am pretty sure I dont know you and ride a Nytro. I wasnt meaning that this was you on ebay. I just thought it was pretty humorous (or sad), and this was a good a thread to post it on.

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
Sorry about whacking you for this, but maybe a new post would be the place....

I'm with you guy's now. Looking for suggestions. Not videos. Sorry.

just a thought.....

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
Forgot, you can ditch the light as well and brackets that hold it, throw on some piaas and you lose a few pounds there. Also lighter powderhounds skis will drop a few. Then you get into aftermarket stuff like tunnel, a-arms, battery, rear skid and so on. Fox floats are a must on this sled, way better shock and does wonders in the handling department and is top 3 mods i would do. You can also drop the snow flap, it serves no purpose on this sled really. Good luck with it and have fun, lots of improvement on this sled if you ask me.

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
Thanks again Hyflyr

I'm with you on all those mods. Already planned on many. This sled was a demo belonging to the regional Yamaha rep, and supposedly he is a "rider". It has boot covers on the shocks, so I dont know if he upgraded from stock yet. He had already lost the shield.

Since it's a four stroke, am I safe in assuming pipe selection is less critical than on a two stroke? I'm thinking a killer Arrow carbon fiber pipe off a ducati would be sweet.....

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
Like you, Ive bought a Phazer. For the same reasons as you. My Phazer could use some clutching help. Has good track speed but falls off quick, I was going to try to tighten the secondary...if that can be done. Has to high of primary engagement I think....5800 to 6000 rpm. Was going to install a 151 track and move the skid back in the tunnel for two reasons. To take up the extra track length and to help the approach angle in front, way to steep. And as always lighten up the sled where I can. Maybe If someone on here knows of a good Yamaha dealer that honestly cares about sled set up and knows there stuff, you could point me in the right direction. This is my first Yamaha in 15 plus years and first 4 stroke and I could really use some advise. The sled is way fun to ride. Dino

bcsnowdog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
frank mountain bc
07 mtx 1800 kms,we found the steering way to heavy and front shocks very soft.took a set of polaris rmk skis and shortened skags and moved mounting point on ski to the rear, changed steering effort huge.installed kyb shocks off viper just to see if they would help,made big difference.also removed one rivet off each weight in primary,holds revs better.great little sled if yami would have put nicer skis and shocks from factory would have been way less tippy and have less steering effort.

Premium Features