• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding courtesy in the snowies.

F
Nov 28, 2007
:mad:The last few times I have been riding in the snowies I have noticed a few things that have really been rubbing me the wrong way.

1. When people stop along the trail they don't stop to one side. They stop side by side and block the whole trail. If you really need to stop pull to the side single file so I don't have to pick my way thru the human slalom poles.

2. This one is basic courtesy and also a safety factor. Only 1 person on a hill at a time. If someone is already climbing a hill you want to climb wait till they come down before you go up.

3. When passing oncomeing traffic stay in a single file line. If someone is coming toward you don't try to pass someone that is going the same way as you are. This just makes sense but apparently this needs to be explained to some people.

These are not isolated incidents they have happened several times over the past few weeks.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Just like today.
Riding along and there are people in the middle of the trail, swirving back and forth.
Oh, did I mention they were doing 10.

Lets not forget the wonderful people that think if a truck and trailer are backing up they should race across the lot so they can drive directly behind you. The guy that did this to me even had the nuts to flip me off.

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
We have the same kind of idiots in the souther Big Horns. I got flipped off yesterday by somebody in a Honda that tried to pull up along side of me when I was backing my 4 place trailer around. Then on the trails you have people riding in the middle of the trail.

A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
That entire parking lot was nothing but one big Clusterphuck, then the limpdi(k that has hog the road while he talks to his buddy, And news flash for the parking lot racers i may have a small truck, but it still wins when you ride directly at me. Oh yeah when are they going to start plowing the lot? because it seem like they plowed it with an agricultural plow?

oh yeah i saw the guy that got the ticket at the gas station, 86 in a 65 equals $235 fine, ouch!

Last edited:
O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Heres a good one I absolutely love.

When I am riding down the trail and hold up my hand with 2 fingers. I am NOT giving you the peace sign. It is to show there are 2 other riders behind me, I am NOT waving to say hi.

R
Jan 6, 2008
casper wy
thats funny i get that one alot or theyll wave like your going out of your way to wave at every single one and their hole group waves at you its sad people just cant figure out and know the simple things or even common courtesy like when people park their truck right behind your trailer like you dont load them from the back

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska

When I am riding down the trail and hold up my hand with 2 fingers. I am NOT giving you the peace sign. It is to show there are 2 other riders behind me, I am NOT waving to say hi.

When I see someone hold up their hand with 2 fingers I usually wave as courtesy because I like to be friendly to handicapped people, but the people that hold up just 1 finger amaze me as to how they can hold onto the bars. LOL

Really though, it's probably the newbies. A newbie with me before new years was doing the same thing and at lunch that day he was telling us how everyone kept waving at him and he was telling us how one time he went to wave back while going through some moguls and about lost control. We all had a good laugh after we explained it to him. Yes, probably should have explained it to him prior, but since I was the one prepping all the equip, supplies, sleds, etc etc, I was more focused on just getting on with the ride.

Jim

Y

yardfarmer

Jul 30, 2004
Sw Iowa

awh hell, I thought snowmachiners were just so dam friendly, I been wavin and wavin ...,

M
Nov 26, 2007
Agree with Number 1 and 3. I had 3 happen to me over New Years weekend. We were Trail riding Down to Albany. And some guy passes us on the trail, twice. He would pass us and his partner wouldn't, so he would stop let my goup pass him. WTF?? The second time he passed our group in a turn as we meet another group heading the opposite way. They guy I was riding with, said he slowed down and just waited for the dust to clear to see whos sleds where going to be wreaked.

I will say this, I have never meet so many great snowmobilers anywhere but the Snowies. Everytime we stopped and some else would come by, they would stop and ask if we needed anything, and if everything was allright. Or they would come by and give the "thumbs up?" to make sure everything was OK. And we do they same. Meeting people at the warming hut. I had a group pull up one had a new Nytro MTX. I asked him how he liked it, he said "good just got it yesterday, Take it for a spin". It just seems there are a real great sleaders out there!!!!!!!

Last edited:

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
there are great sledders out there but some people do need to get a clue. stopping on the trail does torque me off. last year we were heading towards albany, running pretty hard, and right around a tight corner we dang near run right into a group that was pulling a broken sled. well they all stopped three wide on the corner and there was nowhere to go, too many trees. how no one was hurt is a miracle.

Y

yardfarmer

Jul 30, 2004
Sw Iowa
come on coyote, miracle! prolly just those advanced riding skills your sportin. lol. Besides whats the fun of ridin down the trail if it weren't for the unanounced jacka$$'es around the blind corner.

Ollie

Thanks- none of these young guys on there hot rods do that, when I'm on my sled and riding I will be the other guy over there with 2 fingers

S

snowcross338

Feb 17, 2006
Laramie WY
Ollie

Thanks- none of these young guys on there hot rods do that, when I'm on my sled and riding I will be the other guy over there with 2 fingers

According to some guys out of Colorado, they don't use hand signals on the trails. Not sure if they were just not educated or kidding. I thought this was common. Oh yeah 5 fingers in the air dosen't mean I'm waving to ya! The helmet nod is my way of saying hey!

And last but not least you flip me off when I hold up my index finger to tell you one guy behind me, I will turn my happy arse around, chase you down and proceed to shove my 9 foot avalanche probe as far up your arse as it will go (it has a sharp end and I'll bet I could could tickle your tonsills with it!):D

According to some guys out of Colorado, they don't use hand signals on the trails. Not sure if they were just not educated or kidding. I thought this was common. Oh yeah 5 fingers in the air dosen't mean I'm waving to ya! The helmet nod is my way of saying hey!

And last but not least you flip me off when I hold up my index finger to tell you one guy behind me, I will turn my happy arse around, chase you down and proceed to shove my 9 foot avalanche probe as far up your arse as it will go (it has a sharp end and I'll bet I could could tickle your tonsills with it!):D

I think you would have to catch me_ and I doubt you could
and again you really are showing your age- hows that guide business??:face-icon-small-hap

A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
I think you would have to catch me_ and I doubt you could
and again you really are showing your age- hows that guide business??:face-icon-small-hap

Is that all you are good for is to stir up $hit on here? Talk about showing age, well I guess the age of a retarded monkey does not matter your still retarded. Noboby wants to catch you, the zoo keepers release the retarded monkeys becuase they are to big of a hassle to care for. However the retarded monkeys think that their escape was the best ever and they think they are cool because of it, but the rest just think their still just retarded monkeys.

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
What? :confused:

Is that all you are good for is to stir up $hit on here? Talk about showing age, well I guess the age of a retarded monkey does not matter your still retarded. Noboby wants to catch you, the zoo keepers release the retarded monkeys becuase they are to big of a hassle to care for. However the retarded monkeys think that their escape was the best ever and they think they are cool because of it, but the rest just think their still just retarded monkeys.

Premium Features