• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

crossfire in deep snow or mountains?

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
NO, thats why they sell the M series, but if thats all you have, it will work to some degree, just don't expect it to hang with mountain sleds, a 136 track will work, but you are going to work your *** off, been there done that:D

things you could do to help a little.
change the clutching to match altitude
take off the sway bar
bar riser
change the track to a 2 inch paddle

trade it for a M or rent a mountain sled:beer;

just don't try to turn it into a mountain sled, it will cost more than a new sled and it will still be a trail sled:confused:

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
Is a crossfire 7 a good deep snow/ mountain sled from the factory or what needs to be done to it?

If you do as Dave suggested and are a fairly competent rider, it will work just fine. You may not be able to break trail on a 3' powder day, but there was a time when 136" track was the only factory option for all mountain sleds. I can tell you that a Crossfire 7 with a 136" x 2" would be a far better mountain sled than my 99 700 RMK I bought brand new in 98. We finally sold that sled last year. We used to keep it around for friends to ride who would come out to visit. They would go just about anywhere we did!

T
Jan 10, 2008
I have a Crossfire 6 SP. I bought Oles extensions to extend it to a 144X2 track, did the proper clutching and geared it down to go out to the Snowys last year. I am not a real big climber, but it did everything I needed or wanted to do as far as vertical. As far as deep snow, I was very impressed. It was very manuverable and when I did have trouble it was rider error. The snow out there when we went was great. Very soft and a lot of fresh stuff. If you are a guy that wants to highmark, just buy an M but if you are someone who does a fair amount of trail and flatland stuff, you will fine with the CF. I would definatley recommend the Oles extensions, though. They were definately worth the money and very easy to put on.

C
Dec 19, 2002
If you are a very aggresive rider it will work with a few mods. The first thing to do is change the track to a 2" paddle, either 136 or extended to 144. The change the gearing and add a riser. Ditch the sway bar, change the skis and narrow the stance as much as you can. It will not be an M but it will get you by.

I've been riding with 136 forever and they do just fine thats why there called a HYBRID. Its an all around sled that will do just fine in powder and rape any mountain sled in the trails to get to the mountains. Just my 2cents.

C
Nov 29, 2007
Minnesota/Wisconsin
Hold up there buddy. It depends where you're going and what time of year. If you go somewhere during times with deep loose snow or try to do steep climbs, yes you are going to get stuck a lot. If you don't get too crazy or if you go later in the season when the temps are warmer and the snow is more set up and hardpacked your XF7 will be better than an M IMO.

We've run with XF's and M's side in the same group and they did just fine. They got stuck, but the people who were riding them probably would have gotten stuck anyway no matter what they were riding.

You have to take some of what people on here say with a grain of salt. A lot of people on here talk as if anything but a 162" is junk which just isn't true. 7 days out of 10 the features of a mountain specific sled are a mere convienece. You only really need a mountain sled when the going gets steep or its a foot or more to any kind of packed base. Even then a good rider can ride circles around a novice. Just because a novice rider has an awsome machine, doesn't mean they can utilize its abilities and an expert can make your jaw drop with amazment no matter what they ride.

If you want to get a mountain sled, great, I'm going to, but you don't NEED to. I just figured out the numbers, ask yourself this question: Are you going to ride out there more than five days per year for the next four years (my estimation on the reasonable minimum service life of a sled)? That is the break even point to buy a currant, new, top of the line mountain machine. If yes, you would be wise to buy a mountain machine, save yourself some money, and possibly enhance your fun. If not, rent or use what you have. It costs roughly $170-190 per day to rent a big bore mountain machine not counting that stupid insurance they try to sell you (its a rip off BTW).

If you get lots of trail riding days but want to go to the mountains once or twice a season, the XF is the perfect machine for you- that's what it was designed for. If you're like me and ride out west more than you ride trails closer to home (or the UP) then a mountain sled is a wise investment.

A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
xf

I used to own a 06 XF7 untill today (got a m), they do great in the mountains for what they are, they say that the 1.25 ripsaw is about the equivelent to a normal 1.5 track. I will never regret buying it. It is nice to have a challenge "sometimes" (<- key word)rather than just pointing your skiis in the direction you want to go and pushing the throttle.

R

richardsb014

Nov 28, 2007
Wyoming
Damn...you sold it! I was still working on my wife to let me buy it for her. I almost had her convinced that she didn't need reverse...that was what I was for!

Congrats. Hope you enjoy your M. I like my 07 M8 with the SLP exhaust on it.

Sadly, I sold my 03 700 RMK today since my wife DOES NOT LIKE IT!!! We found an 07 XF 6 for a good price. Not as good a back up for me like the 700 RMK, but at least I can sleep with both eyes closed.

I love AC, but the 03 700 RMK ripped.

goinxtreme119

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Helena, MT
I ride an 06 XF snopro 7, I do most of my riding in areas, like Cooke city, ..Hylite...Island park.. Montana and Idaho areas that can and do get some deep snow. I get around for the most part fine. I have been riding for 15 years, and raced for 10 of them. So I agree that alot comes down to rider and what doing with the sled.

I have completely changed clutching, gearing, run the 136 x 2", speedwerx single, D&D can, C&A pro skiis, some minor port and polishing, changed the programming. Before did this sled was a dog in the steep and deep but it now keeps up just fine, I just usually have to work harder then everyone else on straight mountain sleds.

I will be switching to a strait mountain sled, and pickup another sno-x sled for freestyle in the spring. Just too expensive and never really get best of both worlds trying to make a non mountain sled into a full fledged one.

A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
xf

sorrys Richardsb014
but I gave it away for $4500, but i got a heck of a deal on a M so it all equals out

Premium Features