• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whitefish riding areas?

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
There are quite a few good riding areas around Whitefish. You could always go to Canyon Creek (Backside of The Big Mountain), Red Meadows (if you don't mind the 30 minute drive), Lost Johnny behind the Hungry Horse Reseviour..... just ask around! You would probobly want a guide for everywhere else but Canyon Creek. The trails are marked pretty well up there.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
2 of us will be there sat ,wondering if we should bring our sleds,coming to pick-up sled trailer.

If you're coming this way, I would think you'd want to bring your sleds. Not sure how long you're staying.....but we've been getting dumped on. :) I can hardly wait to get out tomorrow and Sunday.....there's lots of fresh pow out there!! :D

Canyon Creek is pretty easy to find, fairly well marked, typically maps in the Survival Cabin (14.7 miles from the parking lot :) ) or you can pick up maps at J&L or the Forest Service. If the Snow Rangers are out, they will have them as well. The trail ride to the top of Big Mtn. is something that has a great view. There are lots of places you can hop off trail.

I would agree that one wouldn't want to take on Lost Johnny, or any of the other areas up there, without knowing where you are going. You could definitely wind up turned around.

Premium Features