• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wife's first time riding--where to take?

S

seth25

Jan 9, 2008
Sedalia, CO
I am new to the sport and I live in Denver. I have been up to Vail pass a few times, but no other areas. I am taking my wife this weekend and it is her first time to ride. We are looking to do moslty trail riding. We are taking 2 2000 powder specials and a ski doo touring 500. I hear that Rabit Ears is good riding, but we would like to stay closer to Denver. Is the Church Park area in Fraser any good? Any places around Breckenridge?

Thanks

A

APEXMT

Nov 27, 2007
Go To The Thread Denver Under This Forum That I Started Might Help You Out

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Since you have your own machines, you're not limited to places that rent sleds. For new riders, I'd reccomend Vail/Shrine Pass. Lots of trails and you can ride to Redcliff for lunch (better than cold beef jerky and half frozen Gatorade to keep your wife liking snomobiling).
Georgia Pass, out of Jefferson or Boreas Pass from Como is pretty mellow and close to Denver. Can get to from Breck side as well. Lots of nice scenery and good roads, no grooming except on the Tiger Run side of Georgia Pass where all the rentals run. Both of these, just drive N out of the respective towns until you want to dump the sleds off and go.
Grand Lake has tons of trails and good town for eating/accomodations.
Church Park, out of WP or Fraser, lots of trails.
Winter Park/Corona Pass/Meadow creek (turn R off of 40 before getting into WP at the Dakota??(Lakota) Ridge subdivision, can park about 3 mi in., PM me for directions), lots of trails, no powder unless you ride trees or the weather is good enuff to go over Corona Pass. Grooming was awesome there last week. Not a bump to be found except for the short ride in from the parking lot to the main trail that is never groomed.
Hope this helps.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I second Grand Lake! Lots of beginners up there and they have tons of groomed trails. Good eats in town! Quick drive from the Big D, if you leave early enough to beat the friggin skiers!

B

Boondock

Oct 4, 2001
Colorado
www.snowest.com
I second Grand Lake! Lots of beginners up there and they have tons of groomed trails. Good eats in town! Quick drive from the Big D, if you leave early enough to beat the friggin skiers!

Grand Lake also, lots of trail with some open meadows. Just tell her to stay on the right side of the trail. Lots of rentals :eek:

D

deadcat

Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock CO
Experimental Forest in Fraser. Has alot of skinny trails that are kinda fun with the kids. make sure it is a nice day.

S
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado
Church park is a good all-around place to ride. There are plenty of trails for riding and several big meadow to play in. There are even a couple of hill climbs. The best part is that Church is only 60 miles west/northwest of Denver. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to get there with good traffic. Good Luck!

S

seth25

Jan 9, 2008
Sedalia, CO
I'm leaning towards Church Park on this trip. I have a friend coming in town next weekend and I'll think that we will hit Grand Lake on that trip.

How do I get to the Church Park area? Any parking tricks that I need to know about? Any other info?

Thanks

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
US 40 to Fraser, go to the Visitor's Center on the east side just past Safeway. They have a really good map of Grand County which shows all the sled trails. Head north on 40 to CR 50 (cross the RR tracks) and make your first left turn follow signs to the City Dump. CR 50 dead ends with a turn around parking lot.

This can be a fun place to ride if the road is groomed--if not it is bad news for a beginner, long, bumpy and boering. I have never been able to find out the grooming schedule in the 18 years I've been riding.

You really have to pay attention to trail intersections as you can get turned around easily. Make sure you bring a compass and at least the map or better yet the Forest Service map for the Arapahoe NF.

If this is her first ride, take the extra 1/2 hr. and go to Grand Lake, CR 4 to Idle Glen PL. Excellent groomed trails and easy trails to 10,000' vistas. Make sure you get a trail map--stop at Power World to get one as they may not be available in Idle Glen. There is also a trail map www.coloradosledcity.com

This should be a blue bird weekend.:D

Last edited:
B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
US 34 to CR 4--just as you pass Dilly Docks (on your left) you will see CR 4 which goes north. Take it till you can't go any further to the PL. Otherwise you can go directly into town and park in the town lot towards the end of the main drag. Don't recommend this as there is too much trail riding and if the snow is thin in town, lot of crap to drive over.

Premium Features