• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is my 900 going to have engine problems?

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I am on the verge of buying a 2005 900 RMK with 1800 miles, but it also comes with a 2006 900 engine with 300 miles on it. The engine has all the 2006 upgrades and the sled has a lot of work done. It has

SLP pipe, can, air box, head, vents, and torque stop, Boss seat, and v-force reads. It also comes with a big wheel kit, 159x2.4 track, custom windshield, handle bar risers, gas can and gas rack, and it comes with some of the plastic removed along with the radiator. The sled is missing all the bogie wheels and also comes with ice scratches. He says the hifax look new.

My problem with this sled is that all my friends tell me that the engine is going to disintegrate soon. They say that no one ever gets 3000 miles on them and that the engine was designed as a 700 and then they just added 900 pistons, sleeves, E.T.C. Meaning that the engine is going to come apart, especially with the performance parts. I gess I don’t want to spend $4500 for a sled, drive 250 miles, and blow up the engine costing me $3000 to fix it.

So anyone that has a 900 with high miles and no problems, please post. I know there are a lot of people who still ride the 900’s and I know they are a good deal; after all I am getting mine for $4500

I told a friend of mine that owns a body shop that I wanted my sled painted and he said he would do it for free! So I know I ask a lot of questions but what is a good color? Hear are some that are out of the question. Black, red, bright green, or bright orange and no YELLOW!!!!!!!!!

lol, I think you guys know why those colors are out of the question. I was thinking of either a gun mettle color, dark metallic green, or atomic orange (the color of the corvettes)

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47108

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I added it up and the sled has roughly $2500+ of upgrades, the sled should weigh 50-60 pounds less, and make about 25 more peak HP. So i am very exited, im just not sure if the engine is going to take a dump like all of my friends do. One of them was a hard core Polaris guy who sold his edge for a rev. Another is a mechanic at a Polaris dealer. Although one friend who had a 05 900 with the 166" track with nitrous and all the slp parts and never had a problem after 3 years. So.... i am conflicted especially since the engine in it already exploded with 1500 miles on it meaning the engine that is in it has 300 miles on it.

Last edited:
D
Sep 19, 2005
Probably not...3800 miles on mine. 4 buddies on Doo 800's blew motors last year with less than 1500 miles on em'...Pick your poison.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
I got 3300 miles on my crank. Polaris put new jugs on at 1200 miles for the old owner, because of belt bust.
When I bought the sled I put on Fabcrafts intake to keep that from happening again.
If you get good motor mounts in the sled and keep the drive clutch balanced it should be a good sled for you.

My only concern for you is, who put the 06 engine in and where did it come from?

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Well he is a michanic and polaris sent him the engine with all the upgrades for free so im sure he got it in right.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Northern California
The 900 engine is a good engine, it's just the things bolted to it that suck....

There are a lot of guys with a lot of miles, and the engine is NOT a 700 with bigger jugs in it.:rolleyes: Polaris built the engine from the ground up, and if anything, the 755cc version is a scaled down 866cc engine....

The '06 should not be a problem, infact, it's a good thing. '06 pistons are good to have as the skirts have been known to break on some '05 pistons. Also, the PTO end on an '06 crank is supposed to be thicker or something.... producing less breakage than an '05.

I think you did great for $4500!

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Yeah i know, i am very happy. But i was going to get a rental sled from west yellowstone for $4000. And i waited like 2 months waiting on them to.... ummm...well.... replace the crank, and it only had 5500 miles on it :D

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
First off the engine was not designed as a 700 (which is actually a 755cc) it was designed as a "small 900"... 866cc's. The 2007, if they would have been made would have been 935cc's... These are Nikasil cylinders... no sleeves... Tell your buddies to lay off the Chronic!

The engines generally let go because of 1) Crank failures 2) Piston failures 3)Exhaust valve faliures.

The crank failures were often related to improper primary installs or catastropchic failure of the drive belts.... Unload a 150 HP (170 with a pipe, reeds, head and reflash) engine on a hard pull... instantly when the belt goes.... OUCH...

With proper venting, Gearing and clutch setup, the belts are no longer slipping... The heat issues on the belts were what was tearing them up.

The piston issue was noted AND solved... the 2006 pistons were an upgrade with stronger skirts and ring-lands.
Pistons.jpg

Most of the exahust valve failures were related to poor quality exhaust valve bellows that tore... These were upgraded/superceeded and the problem went away... they use the same exhaust valve bellows/actuator as the new Dragons. The new bellow (same as used on the Dragon 800's) are 5412733 (replaces 5410000). IMO, all sleds should upgrade to this bellows... Polaris felt that it warranted their cost of using new ones as well.

I think that the sled you are looking at with all of the goodies on it for $4500 is a GREAT DEAL!! That should give you great life... All of the trouble spots have been addressed...

The people without problems are out riding, not posting... you only hear about the bad ones on this 4M.

What other sled are you going to buy with this kind of handling, power and options for $4500?? A 2003 Summit?? a 2004 Edge 800??, an old yami ??or Mountainmax??

Snowjunkies sled is a great deal, at $4500 ... The only thing that sled needs is some wider skis!

IMG_2174.jpg

Don't think too long... it may not be there when you decide. Do any of your friends that are warning you have FIRST HAND Knowledge of the sleds?

If you are riding hard, don't worry about the paint... that sled looks great, but if you are tree banging and boondocking that new paint isn't going to look new for that long.

Have a look at these decal kits for the IQ's to give you some ideas. A lot of color choices.
http://jetskidetailing.com/FB-JET_SKI_GRAPHICS_7POLARIS-SNOWMOBILE.htm

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
A lot of the belt failures and crank problems can me minimized by setting up the clutches correctly and keeping them adjusted as the belt wears and installing the primary correctly... my dealer stays on top of things, but many are still torquing the 900/700 liberty IQ clutches to 50 ft/lbs!

You'd be amazed at how many of the sleds leave the dealership with pisspoor adjustment... this lack of simple adjustment can change a great sled into a crappy one that is always blowing belts and not performing well.

If you want that "great clutch kit" that you put in to work you have to maintain and adjust the clutches... that includes replacing the inexpesive primary and secondary springs before they get tired... I do mine each season and check them every so often.

The belt and clutching are crucial in ANY sled... people take them for granted too much.. On a sled that is capaple of such low end torque numbers as the 900 RMK's, this is even more apparent...

15 minutes in the garage after each ride can make a world of difference... weather you are on a new 800 RMK a 900 RMK or a smaller 550 Fan!

Proper clutch install procedure... do this at least once a season and re-torque (loosen and bring to spec) the bolt every other ride (every ride for the first 3 rides after removing the primary.

clutchinstall900Libertys.jpg

Set the belt deflection!

belt2.jpg

Set the side clearance on the belt and check it often!

belt5.jpg

Last edited:
E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
Mountainhorse,

You are always full of great info and I search out your posts, Thank you!

I too would reccomend buying that sled. I have done too much to my 9 to list and it has had it's problems but I think there are a lot of good 9's out there and you will hear lots of good testamony about them. usually when someone lays out a bunch of crap about the 9 it comes from NO experience.

I just lost a piston at 1600 mi but I'm sure it's because I egnored the cracks in the intake boots. I have gone through 2 belts in 1600 mi and thats with the 975 Carles kit. Buy it!! There is not a dragon or an XP than come close to catching it.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
we picked up two 05 900's, one was $4500 with 1000 miles, the other was $3500 with 1200 miles
Both fully updated, both had lots of aftermarket mods already installed.

With LOTS of routine maintenece, fluid change, staying on top of the belt adjustment. clutching, etc I believe I can easily get 5000 miles from both of these suckers....

Could NOT be happier with these sleds, for under $10K we have two MEAN sleds, they rip and they run fantastic, dont be scared!
Just do alot of research and know the problem areas and what to look for between rides

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Mountainhorse,

You are always full of great info and I search out your posts, Thank you!

I too would reccomend buying that sled. I have done too much to my 9 to list and it has had it's problems but I think there are a lot of good 9's out there and you will hear lots of good testamony about them. usually when someone lays out a bunch of crap about the 9 it comes from NO experience.

I just lost a piston at 1600 mi but I'm sure it's because I egnored the cracks in the intake boots. I have gone through 2 belts in 1600 mi and thats with the 975 Carles kit. Buy it!! There is not a dragon or an XP than come close to catching it.[/QUOTE]

What would cracks in the intake boots do ot cause piston failure? I notices a small crack on my 700 when i was installing my can. Should i replace it? Im sorry, im not used ot thease new sleds, i am usually the guy rideing an XLT, or gen 2 sled. Never owned a fuel injection sled before.

BTW, thanks alot mountainhorse! The paint is free so i might as well take it :D

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
I have a 2006 900 RMK 166" and I am the original owner and it has 1900 miles on it.
I just did a compression test and it was 140 PTO side and 125 mag side.
When looking into the exhaust ports the PTO side looks clean and new with no marks.

The Mag side piston looks scuffed, with black carbon on the top and the side (top part) of the piston looks brown burnt.

Also when the piston is at B.D.C. the port across the cylinder appears to have scuffs or small chips around it.
The question I have should I continue to run it? or install new pistons?
Do I need new cylinders? Can these cylinders be repaired?

Franz

Premium Member
Nov 11, 2008
Logan, UT
I have a 2006 900 RMK 166" and I am the original owner and it has 1900 miles on it.
I just did a compression test and it was 140 PTO side and 125 mag side.
When looking into the exhaust ports the PTO side looks clean and new with no marks.

The Mag side piston looks scuffed, with black carbon on the top and the side (top part) of the piston looks brown burnt.

Also when the piston is at B.D.C. the port across the cylinder appears to have scuffs or small chips around it.
The question I have should I continue to run it? or install new pistons?
Do I need new cylinders? Can these cylinders be repaired?

The cylinder can be replated. Sounds like your mag side is lean. The throttle boot can be cracked on the bottom if you don't see it on top, (mine was), and the motor pulls extra air through it. You will have to fix at least that part of it for this season. Sure new pistons and cylinder replate would be ideal. But, I did run mine for awhile under a similar condition and it still pulled hard/never stranded me. Your call on the rebuild... :beer;

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Lol yeah it is. That looks like more of the one for the edge chassis to me. I don't like the new ones they came out with and they cost way to much.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I think mines getting a Raw seat conversion this summer along with the 09 front end.:thumb: I'm always keeping my eye open for a used Boss to buy, but no luck so far.:face-icon-small-con

Premium Features