• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled Jam Freestyle Comp - this weekend in Ironwood, MI

D

driftjumper

Nov 29, 2007
www.exconfreeride.com
sledjam.jpg

(click here to download a large pdf version of this poster)

This January 4-13 is the first annual Western Upper Peninsula Sled Fest organized by the Western U.P. Convention and Visitors Bureau. The promoters goal is to make this the Sturgis rally of snowmobiling. The whole week is packed with events, the first weekend (Jan 4-6) is the opening race of the 2008 USSA Ice Oval Series. The second weekend (Jan 9-12) is the Sled Jam Freestyle Competition. There are also many other events throughout the week.

Sled Jam has a purse of $10,000 and as if that weren't enough it's also the last chance a rider has to qualify to ride in the Freestyle Snowmobiling event at Winter X Games 11. There will be a lot of big names at this event going head to head for some serious cash and the X games invitation.

So far the rider roster is:
Justin Hoyer
Dane Ferguson
Nate Haag
Matt Tingstad
Jason Semler
Kourtney Hungerford

and there are sure to be more of the top riders signing up as they hear about this event.

for more info on Sled Jam, go to:www.sledjam.com

for more info on the entire week of SledFest's events, go to: www.sledfest.com

for info on riding at the only open freestyle/freeride terrain park in the lower 48, go to: www.sledpark.com

D

driftjumper

Nov 29, 2007
www.exconfreeride.com
The first weekend of Sledfest (yesterday & today Jan 5-6) featured high speed oval racing and was the opening weekend for the 2008 USSA series. The Sled Jam freestyle comp starts this thursday, so just to give the spectators at the oval races a little taste of the freestyle action to come, Matt Tingstad & Justin Hoyer put on a demo at the ice races and did some exhibition jumps. Dylan Harju and Jeffrey Anderson also came out and hit up the super kicker in front of the crowd.

Here are a couple photos (go to http://www.exconfreeride.com/photos08sledfestdemo.php for more) and hopefully we'll see you next weekend!

hoyer2lg.jpg

tinger1lg.jpg

D

driftjumper

Nov 29, 2007
www.exconfreeride.com
I just read this update for Sledfest/Sled Jam over on JohnDee.com

Warm temps and rain didn't affect this past weekend oval racing. Ice track held up. Pics are below. Sled Jam is on schedule starting this Thursday. Plenty of snow to work with for the competition. None of the mid-week events have been cancelled as of this moment. Updates, when available, will be posted on www.sledfest.com.

64386.jpg

64387.jpg

64388.jpg

64389.jpg

64390.jpg

64391.jpg

D

driftjumper

Nov 29, 2007
www.exconfreeride.com
Here are some photos of building the course. Everything is looking good. The landings are huge and the entire course is snow. Riders are happy they won't have to ride in the dirt here too.
64935.jpg

64936.jpg

I know a lot of folks aren't sure if they're coming up this weekend because they're unsure of the trail conditions. From everything I've read the trails aren't too bad considering the warm up they had up there (and worse everywhere else!!). It sounds like they are a little icy with the occasional bare spot....but rideable.

Don't miss out on Sled Jam weekend - ride a little, watch some freestyle, and PARTY it up! Gettin' squirrely in Hurley, you gotta come up to get down!!!

Here are a few trail conditions updates from today:

From "Walt" on HCS - first update from yesterday, update from today on the 2nd page
Todays ride was totally great as well. Left Watersmeet and decided to ride north. Took trail #2 east to #107 north. 2 was fair to good with just a few bare spots that you could easily skirt around. Bit snirty in a few spots, but hey, we're riding. 107 north, getting better. Actually, quite good. Spent the rest of the day on trail #3 north. This trail was amazing ! It went from good to AWESOME forever.

From Bruce Crossing to Twin Lakes was for the most part massive snow and the trails were flat as a pancake for mile after mile. The snow in Mass City was unbelievable considering everybody else including the rest of the U.P.was supposededly in a record breaking thaw. Temps were in the low 30's all day today and when we quit it was snowing lightly. 150+ miles today with next to no traffic and more great conditiond then fair to good.
It will be interesting to see what Walt says tomorrow after heading towards Bergland (closer to Hurley/Ironwood).

From JohnDee.com updated today
Hello, this is Wally at CLOVERLAND MOTORS & RENTALS, trails are decent in our area but the road trails are gone. Trails are also icy so use caution when riding and have a good safe trip. Stop in and see us when your in town, we have just about all your sledding needs. Thanks, Wally

Another from JohnDee.com....
Hello all, Dont have a lot of time for a report so please excuse any typos.

Cold weather finally has returned to the western UP. Here on Lake Gogebic the slush has frozen up again which is good. The down side is there is not a lot of moisture left on the lake so you would have to go slow today to be sure to get enough snow in your sled.

Trails are frozen down again and they are icy. I am talking all around Lake Gogebic, Bruces, Mass, Ontonagon, and White Pine since thats where I was yesterday. They are snirty at the road crossings but clean up again when you get back in a 100'. Didn't see any bare spots but I am sure there are a few in the corners.

a few inches of snow a day will fix things up and snow is forcasted. I took a few bookings for this weekend but told the people to call first and make sure its snowing since that will really be the key.

Not saying you cant ride in the area because you can but honestly to be any good its going to needs atleast a little snow every day to keep the trails wet.
I would said the riding would be fair without snow and good with snow. If we get a foot well then wouldnt that be nice.
Hope this helps a bit everyone.

D

driftjumper

Nov 29, 2007
www.exconfreeride.com
Check out the photos from practice today. Sled Jam is GOING OFF tomorrow at 1:00. If your not there, you better be dead or in jail....and if you're in jail.....BREAK OUT!!!
For more info: www.sledjam.com

Justin Hoyer
65182.jpg

Jeff Mullin
65183.jpg

Here is Walt's update from today, sounds like there is good riding to be had. So who's coming up? Oh yeah, click on the link below to check out his photos

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...98138&st=30
Todays ride was incredible ! Over 200 miles on perfectly flat GROOMED Trails. Ended up in the Porky Mountains. From Bergland west the snow was deep and powdery. Next to no traffic again. It is so weird to be in the U.P. on perfectly groomed trails and not see any sleds for hours on end. Here is the routes we ran today:

Trail #2 east out of Watersmeet, freshly double groomed, flat as a pool table.
Trail # 107 north to Bruce Crossing, groomed and in good shape
Trail # 8 west to Bergland, not groomed but flat as a pancake anyway though with stretches of thinner spots. Still silly fast.
Trail # 102 west (NW) Groomed, powdery and unbelievable fun with gentle twists and hill climbs. THIS TRAIL WAS FUN !!
Trail # 11 north. 3 groomer wide for about 20 miles and groomed to perfection. The Auto Baun of snowmobiling ! Totally unreal !
Trail #1 west To Lake Of Clouds. Snirty and bare spots for about a mile in the woods and then, SUPER HIGHWAY ! Wide and fast !

I certainly would have never guessed this trip woud turn out so awesome with the thaw and rain but all it did here was create incredibly solid bases that are now like white aspahlt. I've never seen anything like it.

I will be available to take your questions and comments later. Right now, the hotels hot tub beckons me. LOL !

Premium Features