• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

13 year old mukilteo girl killed hiking by avy

sled.man

Premium Member
Dec 8, 2007
lynnwood washington
Girl found dead after hit by avalanche near Mount Pilchuck

11:25 PM PST on Friday, January 4, 2008

KING5.com Staff

Girl's body found late Friday by searchers VERLOT, Wash. – A 13-year-old Mukilteo girl disappeared after a snow avalanche near Mount Pilchuck in Snohomish County Friday afternoon.

She was found dead by searchers Friday evening.

Snohomish County dispatchers say the call went out just before 5 p.m. to a location near the Lake Twenty Two trailhead on the Mountain Loop Highway, about 25 miles east of Granite Falls.

Related Content
Washington leading the nation in avalanche deaths

Lake Twenty Two Trail
A group of 10 people went hiking on the popular trail. They decided to turn around when conditions got too bad, but an avalanche hit and buried four of them.

One teen was able to get out quickly, two more were dug out by the party. The group spent an hour trying to find the fourth - the 13-year-old girl - but were unsuccessful.

After they returned to their car, they called 911.

Two of the teens hit in the avalanche were treated for cuts and scrapes at the ranger station.

As darkness fell, search and rescue crews were evaluating rescue options, but kept pressing on. The body of the girl was found after 10 p.m.

Heavy snow is forecast in the mountains for this weekend, and officials have warned that avalanche danger is high.

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
How many have watched a dozen More Turns by Amber Seyler

This is a great post. Look at CatWoman for details.

I got that movie as an extra on another very good sled movie and it really opened my eyes.
Looking at that hillside in the video, I would not have guessed it was a serious threat to slide but then again, pictures always seem to flatten out the steepness.

13 years old, damn.
She had her whole life in front of her.
What a shame.:brokenheart::rose:

Heed the warnings from the Avy centers folks.

gunslinger770

Lifetime Membership
Jan 25, 2006
North of Okanogan, Wa.
No words to describe this kind of pain!!! :brokenheart: I have three daughters of my own and can't even fathom the thought of losing them!!!

Our prays and thoughts to her family and friends!!!:rose:

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
Its terrible...

So much snow so fast & no time for set up.

I overnighted myself an ABS pack yesterday.

We're going up Sunday & going to be taking it easy for sure.

I can't believe there's been so many losses this year & it's only the 1st weekend in January.:(

Prayers out to the families of the tragedies & everybody be careful up there!

B
Nov 28, 2007
politicians

Its threads like this that make me proud to be part of this community! To many times all we hear about is that snowmobilers are out for themselves and could care less about others, I urge all of you to forward this thread to your local representative and express how much we do care about fellow sledders and non-powersports winter mountain users like this young lady. My heart goes out to this young ladies family.

blindman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
i have hiked that trail no less than 50 times....

unbelievable.

could not imagine losin a kid...

rip

Premium Features