• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching/Jetting in Cooke City

B
Jan 4, 2008
Hey everyone,

A few friends and I from Northwestern Ontario are planning a trip to Cooke City Montana in March. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea on clutching and jetting?

The elevation change will be from about 800ft to 8000ft so it's a big difference and we'd like to get an idea of what kind of setup we should be running when we go. I have an '07 Skidoo 800 XRS and the other sleds are '04 and '05 600 Renegades.

If anyone can point us in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Thank-you,

B.D.

B
Jan 4, 2008
We might rent sleds one day but at around $200 per day + taxes, insurance and gas it would be ridiculously expensive to rent them for the 7 days we are there. Unless I win the lottery, it's not going to be financially feasible. We're just looking to go riding and having a good time, it would be nice to have mountain sleds but that's not going to happen so it would be nice to get the most out of the sleds we have.

Thanks,

B.D.

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
We might rent sleds one day but at around $200 per day + taxes, insurance and gas it would be ridiculously expensive to rent them for the 7 days we are there. Unless I win the lottery, it's not going to be financially feasible. We're just looking to go riding and having a good time, it would be nice to have mountain sleds but that's not going to happen so it would be nice to get the most out of the sleds we have.

Thanks,

B.D.

Figure out the extra fuel you'd use hauling sleds all that way, then possible tuning issues and machine shortcomings cutting into riding time, and renting isn't that bad of an option.

W

woodies

it makes my heart sad to hear talk about rentals they are for the days your sleds getting fixed.plan on clutching for 9,000 ft at cooke our gps max was 9987 and you will be playing around 8500 to 9500 90 percent of the time i ran 4 grams lighter weight than home which is 1800 ft so you may be able to figure from that i ride 700 cat efi

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
it makes my heart sad to hear talk about rentals they are for the days your sleds getting fixed.plan on clutching for 9,000 ft at cooke our gps max was 9987 and you will be playing around 8500 to 9500 90 percent of the time i ran 4 grams lighter weight than home which is 1800 ft so you may be able to figure from that i ride 700 cat efi

That's the problem. People think with their hearts instead of their heads. Hell, if I could rent sleds everywhere I rode, I'd never own one.

Do the math. You're looking at 12K+ for the kind of sled a $200 / day rental gets you. I average 10 riding days a year. Most of us are complete idiots for even owning a sled. You can't own the same type of sled for 2 grand a year. No trailer to pull. Think about it.

B
Jan 4, 2008
Beels, we're not towing our sleds out there, they are coming on another truck and it's cheap. So the money saved by leaving ours at home is negligible, it's basically the cost of renting for one day and no wear on my truck. I would rather rent a mountain sled the whole time I'm there but the fact is I don't have a lot of money and the only reason I'm getting to go to begin with is because it's cheap. If I only rode 10 days a year I probably wouldn't own a sled, or at least nothing nice. But I ride 30-40 times a year, depending on snow. I just got an opportunity to ride somewhere with amazing terrain and snow and took it. Hopefully in the future I can go out there and rent a sweet mountain sled for trip.

Woodies, thanks for the input. It's much appreciated.

B.D.

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
Beels, we're not towing our sleds out there, they are coming on another truck and it's cheap. So the money saved by leaving ours at home is negligible, it's basically the cost of renting for one day and no wear on my truck. I would rather rent a mountain sled the whole time I'm there but the fact is I don't have a lot of money and the only reason I'm getting to go to begin with is because it's cheap. If I only rode 10 days a year I probably wouldn't own a sled, or at least nothing nice. But I ride 30-40 times a year, depending on snow. I just got an opportunity to ride somewhere with amazing terrain and snow and took it. Hopefully in the future I can go out there and rent a sweet mountain sled for trip.

Woodies, thanks for the input. It's much appreciated.

B.D.

Gotcha.

Clutch and jet for 8 to 10K ft and you'll be fine.

H
Nov 26, 2007
windom, mn
if you put hollow pins in the primary and run the clickers in #5 that will be real close on the clutching with out buying a helix and gearing. maybe not the optiman but will work. if you have dpm you won't have to mess with carbs.:beer;

B
Nov 26, 2007
Savage, MN
If I where you I would just call the Exxon (skidoo dealer) staition out there and ask them which jets to run. back when I had a ZL Cat, I called the cat dealer and he told me exactly what jets and weights I needed for my stock sled. The people of cooke are very helpful. I have since bought an ATACC and don't rejet (new sled too), and do some custom clutching with lighter springs and wieghts so I can't get away with that anymore but thats just my situation.

S

Steve OH

Nov 26, 2007
Estevan SK
Ourgps maxed out at 10,395 last week in Cooke City. I ran 8.5g lighter weights on my last sled (800 cat), new one, well i don't know, i haven't ridden it in the flatlands (Saskatchewan) yet LOL

Premium Features