• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avy

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M
Nov 27, 2007
Englewood, CO
Just heard on Channel 7 that four locals saved the life of a Minnesota snowmobiler up at Gravel Mountain. Was buried in three feet of snow in an avalanche. Sounds like he broke his shoulder, otherwise ok.

B

bdubs

Nov 26, 2007
GL

Yup, we had to dig his azz out. No one in his group was avy prepared. No shovels nothing. We got really lucky and found him in about 15 minutes under 3 feet of snow..

Heres the pics that we sent to the associated press...

got him.jpg GLslide.jpg sledout.jpg

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Great job on the rescue! Makes it much harder when they don't have a beacon. Mike Duffy

B

bdubs

Nov 26, 2007
Hey Mike! Can't thank you enough for the classes. If the wifey wouldn't have taken the class back in Oct. she would not have been any help even though she was outfitted. That and its nice to reinforce that your techniques are still best practice.. Thanks again!

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Glad the class was helpful. Would you be able to share more details on what happened and what factors contributed to the success and speed of the rescue? Looks like he was uphill and not too far away from the sled. Did you set up a probe line or just start probing the most likely areas? Deposition looks pretty deep. Thanks, Mike

R

Raginhemi

Nov 30, 2007
Parker
Yup, we had to dig his azz out. No one in his group was avy prepared. No shovels nothing. We got really lucky and found him in about 15 minutes under 3 feet of snow..

Heres the pics that we sent to the associated press...

bdubs,

Great job on the rescue. How did you know where to start probing? Was his snowmobile sticking out of the snow and you started searching around it? Did someone see the slide and referenced a point where he was last seen?

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
I think they saw his boot near the sled..... Our group came by a little after they found him. He is very lucky. We noticed that there was a slide there Thursday and this one is in the same spot but about 4 times the size. Great job to the guys who got him out, maybe now he will go buy a beacon.

sled.man

Premium Member
Dec 8, 2007
lynnwood washington
wind/leeward slope

look at the wind in the middle picture of the second posting. this hill is definatly a wind loaded leeward slope. these will be the first to avalanche.

B

bdubs

Nov 26, 2007
Luck!

We found the guy by pure luck. He didn't have a beacon, and his riding group didn't see him go... Had no point of reference other then a piece of his side panel was on top of the snow. His buddy chucked it up the hill as I put my shovel and probe together and changed the beacon over and the others in our group doing the same. I started yelling to them to the others in his party to start using there legs as probes and walk up from the plastic. They hit the sled right under the snow (inverted and twisted) They started walking up the hill while D and I tried to catch them up the hill. 10 ft from the sled they kicked up his boot. We figured out his position pretty quick and dug out his head and chest area, unpacked his helmet. He was breathing but was knocked out. Took us another 20 minutes to free him becuase we didn't know his injuries... But he was in pain. We had radios and made distress calls and then got threw on someone's cell phone to dispatch S&R. The guy eventually was well enough to sit up and start talking. And we figured out that he had a dislocated shoulder. We had quite a bit of people on site at that point and there were some really good folks up on the hill that day that were just a 10 ta 15 minutes behind us. Dug up the victims sled and the tunnel was twisted but the sled rode out after we flipped it and cleared it. S&R showed up and did the evac.

The avalanche conditions were created from wind loading and heavy snow in the past couple of days. We have been riding everyday since last thurs. and Sat and Sunday where white out with 50-70 mph winds and 12-22 inches of snowfall. The crown was huge. The head wall was at least 2 ft. I didn't see it go but it's just amazing what it does...

R

Raginhemi

Nov 30, 2007
Parker
I finally broke down and bought a beacon. It isn't worth the risk. WE ALL RIDE IN AVY AREAS! Trails suck! Trails are only used to get to our secret spots. We love meadows, hills and trees. I have been riding in these areas for years without a beacon. I guess I have been very lucky. I bought the Mammut Backcountry Gear Package from Tahoe Mountain Sports. The package comes with a Mammut backpack, shovel, probe, blanket and a Pulse Barryvox beacon. The total price is $504 with shipping. A little expensive, but not a bad price for all that is included. Thanks for the info bdubs.

BTP

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2002
Colorado
Way to go bdubs. You cannot go into the backcountry without the basics. Shovel, probe, and beacon.:)

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Good luck on finding that guy, about 8 years ago I came across a small group that had set off an avy and one guy was buried. The debris field was a lot smaller and we couldn't find him. W/O a bunch of searchers, you really can't probe fast enough to cover the whole area in time to save someone.

We ride in avy terrain alot, we tell ourselves it won't happen to us, we need to change that mindset. Before riding a hill, you need to scope it out, check the fall line. Avoid terrain traps, places that would wash you over rocks, or through trees if the slope were to break loose.

This year I was debating buying an abs pack, but didn't want to spend the money. I mentioned it to my wife, and without hesitation, she said to get it. So if you are thinking about getting better prepared, get off your azz and do it, it isn't about the money. It's about coming home at the end of the day.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
I wouldn't say that finding him was pure luck. You did a great job of using the resources you had to pull off a rescue (using the other members in his party to probe with their legs uphill from the hood panel). Good use of the only clue you had. You also had the right equipment and communication to get more assistance. Your skills and equipment paid off with a successful rescue.
The slope is definitely leeward, looks convex from the photo, and the bigger tree on the slope looks like it has seen quite a bit of action from avalanches. The avalanche danger was rated as high in that area.
Once again, excellent job. You saved his life.

R

Raginhemi

Nov 30, 2007
Parker
This is from 9news.com. Everyone be safe!

DENVER - Forecasters at the Colorado Avalanche Information Center say conditions in the high country are leading to an increased danger of snowslides. A recent storm, which shut down I-70 on Sunday and Monday, carried extremely high winds.

Avalanche forecaster Spencer Logan said the winds packed snow down hard in many places. That means if a backcountry skier or snowmobiler kicks off a slide, the snow could break off in big slabs. That kind of slide is much more difficult to survive.

"That snow has been packed in really tight, and it's going to be stubborn," said Logan. "But once it goes it's going to go big."

There have been at least three slides touched off by skiers or snowmobilers since the storm began. One of the accidents, in Utah, led to a fatality.

"Having I-70 closed down during the storm was actually fortunate because it meant very few people were in the backcountry during the most dangerous part of the storm," Logan said.

For more information on avalanche danger in the high country, click here to visit the Colorado Avalanche Information Center.

Speeedracer

Lifetime Membership
Feb 10, 2006
Kanasas
Trying to understand the location of the slide. Its been quite a while since I was up in that area. There is chicken hill and super chicken hill right? That pic looks like the first hilll, not the top hill?

Premium Features