• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help a newbie out please

P
Dec 30, 2007
Been browsing this site and just joined. I recently moved from So Calif to Herriman, Utah (Salt Lake area). I would consider myself a good, intermediate rider. Enjoy carving, sidehilling, hills (no steep, chutes, etc), some trees, alpine meadows. Have some experience riding in the mountain west (a little in Island Park/Yellowstone, Brianhead in So Utah, and once in Fairview area). Where would you suggest for the best locations for my type of riding locally (maybe 2 hrs from SLC)as well as locations within a days drive(10 hrs or less).
Please be as specific as possible. Thanks for all the input. Map is out and ready for your replies!:)

Carp

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sounds like the Uintas are for you. Go to Kamas and turn left and go up the Mirror lake highway to Soapstone, the road is closed there. Go south on Soapstone pass and go wherever you want. It is good riding. You can also go right at Kamas and to go the Noblets trailhead and head up the road and go south. A lot of terrain and a variety.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Tower is a good place to ride, but it is STEEP in lots of places, can get in trouble in a hurry. Fairview is a little bit more of a drive for you, but it is a Great place to ride. The beauty of Fairview is that you drive to 9000 feet and unload, Ride the deep right from the truck, then the truck is always close if you need anything, like a sandwich.

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
No need to trailer too far, IMO. You've now got some of the best riding anywhere in your backyard. Uintas, Monte Cristo, Logan Canyon, Fairview, to name a few.

P
Dec 30, 2007
Great replies so far - thanks. A couple questions:

Sunridge - in looking at maps, it seems that the Uintas have 2 "sides" - one from the Kamas area and one from the Evanston area (North Slope). Can you tell me what the main differences are between these two areas (besides distance) and names of specific areas that I might enjoy riding. Both places seem to cover a huge amount of area and looks like you can go in many different directions.

Club guide - exactly what does a club do? Do you take members out for guided rides? How do you accomodate riders different needs ( trail vs my type vs steep)?

Thanks for all of the replies, please keep them coming and be as specific as possible so that I can know exactly where to go and "explore" :)

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Been browsing this site and just joined. I recently moved from So Calif to Herriman, Utah (Salt Lake area). I would consider myself a good, intermediate rider. Enjoy carving, sidehilling, hills (no steep, chutes, etc), some trees, alpine meadows. Have some experience riding in the mountain west (a little in Island Park/Yellowstone, Brianhead in So Utah, and once in Fairview area). Where would you suggest for the best locations for my type of riding locally (maybe 2 hrs from SLC)as well as locations within a days drive(10 hrs or less).
Please be as specific as possible. Thanks for all the input. Map is out and ready for your replies!:)

Replied to your post in General Snowmobiling

C
Dec 9, 2007
SLC Utah
Club Rides

I have the challange of leading the rides, we go on and off groomed trails depending on who rides that day I will go to the ability of the least skilled rider {my wife}. We do have a group of aggressive riders that do thier own thing and meet us at the end of the day. The best thing to do is try it if you like it join us again if you don't your not out anything you do not have to join to ride with our group. The rides start at 9:30 we will get back at around 3:00 and have a pot luck dinner, hamburgers our provided by the club. we will be at the Noth Fork parking area and ride the Soapstone - Cold Springs area this Saturday. I would suggest that you have a radio or better yet a Garmin Rino. Give me a call if you have any questions Scott @ 718-5866

P
Dec 30, 2007
I have the challange of leading the rides, we go on and off groomed trails depending on who rides that day I will go to the ability of the least skilled rider {my wife}. We do have a group of aggressive riders that do thier own thing and meet us at the end of the day. The best thing to do is try it if you like it join us again if you don't your not out anything you do not have to join to ride with our group. The rides start at 9:30 we will get back at around 3:00 and have a pot luck dinner, hamburgers our provided by the club. we will be at the Noth Fork parking area and ride the Soapstone - Cold Springs area this Saturday. I would suggest that you have a radio or better yet a Garmin Rino. Give me a call if you have any questions Scott @ 718-5866

Thanks for the reply Scott. Where exactly is the North Fork parking area? Is it up the Mirror Lake Highway to where it is closed? I know where Nobletts is, but I think that is off of another highway, 35 I think. I only have the Motorola 2 way radio ( rated 7 mile range).

C
Dec 9, 2007
SLC Utah
The North Fork Parking lot is about 2 miles before the gate on Hwy. 150. You cannot see it from the Hwy.

I rode the area on Monday there is not much of a base it is 3' to 4' of powder up at 9,000' to 10,000'

Take I-80 East turn South on Hwy. 40 {10.5 miles} turn East on Hwy. 189 {7 miles} North to Kamas {2.2 Miles} East on Hwy. 150 {12 miles} to North Fork parking lot on the right side. Stop at the Guard station to pay your $3.00 for parking.

Last edited:

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
Soapstone ride with the Salt Lake Valley Club

we will be at the Noth Fork parking area and ride the Soapstone - Cold Springs area this Saturday.

since I've never been to the Soapstone area and don't have a consistent group to ride with yet, I'd like to tag along on this one. please let me know if there's any change of plan based on weather, snow conditions or whatever. otherwise, I'll be there around 9 in a black surburban towing a red polaris.

C
Dec 9, 2007
SLC Utah
We are still planning to go in the morning, look for the motorhome at North Fork, hope it isn't a complete whiteout. Never sure on how many riders especially with the weather forecast.

C
Dec 9, 2007
SLC Utah
Club Ride

We will be riding Soapstone on Saturday to make up for the cancelled ride from last weekend, we will be at the North Fork parking lot {If Plowed}, join us if you would like I think we will have at least 12 sleds. The ride starts at 9:30 bring your long track and snobunje there should be plenty of snow. Get to the parking lot early I think the Timp Ridge Runner Club will also be there. As usual we are planning to cook burgers after the ride.

Premium Features